Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to start on 22k so that the song "22 Grand Job" by the Rakes can be the anthem of my life for a while.

To be honest I'm not that bothered as long as I can live to a good standard and save.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brevity)
    This is a poor example because (i) you don't factor in the debt; (ii) 3 years of graduate experience is a bit on the short side (5 years is average at the London Business School, for instance).

The easier way is just to join a bulge bracket investment bank and work there for 4 years. You'd definitely be pulling down more than £125,000 a year, assuming normal promotion speed.
    Fair enough, give IB as an example instead as you said - either way, it just shows that it's not arrogant/naive for some people to expect to earn £30K+ as their first job

ReputationRep:
    I would be content with anything over 20k as my starting salary although I will be pushing for 50k plus when I'm older and more experienced.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully around 32-33k, but that's only because I plan on doing a PhD and starting salaries are normally higher for post-docs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Upwards of $150,000 before tax.

Neg me if you want, don't care, worked hard all my life for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Upwards of $150,000 before tax.

Neg me if you want, don't care, worked hard all my life for it.
    May I ask what sector?

ReputationRep:
    When I'm firmly into my career, I'd like to be earning over £50k. I work hard, I try my best and I see no point in aiming low. 'Money can't buy happiness' is the biggest pile of **** I've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emre944)
    May I ask what sector?
    Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really fussed about this kind of thing, but I'd love to know why my original post attracted a red thumb...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom26070)
    After my electrical engineering apprenticeship my starting salary will be around 23K and can rise with promotions. I'm happy with that.
    Wow that's really good! Who is that with?

Engineering companies are notoriously tight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Engineering.
    Ooo may I ask what branch of engineering? What part or year of your studies are you at now? Also which uni? Sorry if I'm a little too prying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emre944)
    Ooo may I ask what branch of engineering? What part or year of your studies are you at now? Also which uni? Sorry if I'm a little too prying.
    Haha, why do you want to know so much?

If you MUST know, PM me.

(Kardes, sen nerden oldugunu biliyorum )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blast Tyrant)
    When I'm firmly into my career, I'd like to be earning over £50k. I work hard, I try my best and I see no point in aiming low. 'Money can't buy happiness' is the biggest pile of **** I've ever heard.
    Nope "Money can't buy happiness". However, it can buy stuff which leads to happiness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    Wow that's really good! Who is that with?

Engineering companies are notoriously tight.
    I'm not saying the company for privacy issues, however I will be part JIB http://www.jib.org.uk/ which have minimum wages etc.

It depends what sector you want to go in, it's very exciting

ReputationRep:
    i have been graduated( undergrad ) a couple of years now . i studied geology and have worked in the energy sector. i have had a couple of jobs since graduating. Probably not such a good thing lol but here is my experience so far.

Mud logger(Offshore) job offer starting on 16000. 2 years experience est 32000 plus. i turned this down thinking i would get something better. I did not and after 4 months of looking for a jobs i took a Lab tech that was kind of related to my degree position starting on 18000, 2 years experience est 22000. Although a Graduate Geologist role in Australia came up starting on 45000 pounds after 2 years experience 70000 pounds. Unfortunately the market in Australia took a big dive and i was made redundant. Just unlucky , there were guys that had came over the year before working who were sweet. Many people were laid off through the sector . Junior geologist went from being really in demand to working in Tesco's in a space of a couple of months.
    After spending a long time unemployed i have started a new graduate role which starts on around 25000 and after 2 years should be around 40000. So i guess i have seen both ends of the Spectrum. In my experience it comes down to supply and demand and weather your working for a private company versus the public sector.

For me the starting wage is not so important.I think it more important to be in a role that will give you skills. Even if the starting wage is low, after a few years you will have developed skills. think about what skills will this role give me . Is this were i want to be in 3 to 5 years. Also a really important thing is do you actually like the role. It is really priceless to find a job that you love doing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.