Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F334 (19/06/2013 9:00AM) - Salters Chemistry (Chemistry of Materials) Revision Thread Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this paper?
    Very easy (~74 for an A)
    18.75%
    Easy (~71 for an A)
    22.92%
    Average (~65 for an A)
    43.75%
    Hard (~61 for an A)
    12.50%
    Very Hard (~58 for an A)
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlane5000)
    I always feel the pressure, I end up doubting myself on even the most simple things that I know inside out when in the exam. I wish F335 had been a little kinder and less heavy on the calculations, but for me the pressure is now on with this one to pick up some of the slack for F335. Some of it was ridiculously easy and some was a bit harsh *cough iodine number* How did you find F335?
    Yeah, that's how I exactly feel! Totally agree regarding F335; some of those calculation questions were so challenging, especially that Iodine number. What a beast of a question that was. I think it was though, F335 average, like you said there was some wonderful bits (Q3 and Q4), but likewise some awful parts; so I'm guessing average boundaries. I'm just worrying over silly errors tbh

What's worse is that F334 has the lower weighting, so we have to do really, really well on this tbh to offset any lost marks in F335. Oh well, just gotta try and aim for the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tikara)
    Can anyone help me with Jun10 2a? I don't really understand what happens
    Cheeky OCR question. It's a reaction between a metal and an acid. General equation for such reactions are:

metal + acid → salt + hydrogen

See if you can work it out from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    Cheeky OCR question. It's a reaction between a metal and an acid. General equation for such reactions are:

metal + acid → salt + hydrogen

See if you can work it out from there
    ahh I'll remember that thanks mate

ReputationRep:
    was doing pastpapers and there were still some n.m.r and Kc stuff... we don't need that for this exam right? and also do we need to know how to manufacture steel?

ReputationRep:
    Dont forget that this is a synoptic paper so do look over AS stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1)
    was doing pastpapers and there were still some n.m.r and Kc stuff... we don't need that for this exam right? and also do we need to know how to manufacture steel?
    Nope, I saw that too and that's on the old spec, it was shifted to F335 on the new spec. But yeah we do need to know how steel is manufactured (well the purification and extraction of iron ore)

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me, or does anyone else prefer F335 over F334?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    Nope, I saw that too and that's on the old spec, it was shifted to F335 on the new spec. But yeah we do need to know how steel is manufactured (well the purification and extraction of iron ore)
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    Is it just me, or does anyone else prefer F335 over F334?
    Yep me! I haaaate steel story and all that ligands and complex ion crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    Yep me! I haaaate steel story and all that ligands and complex ion crap
    Exactly why I don't particularly like it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    Yeah, that's how I exactly feel! Totally agree regarding F335; some of those calculation questions were so challenging, especially that Iodine number. What a beast of a question that was. I think it was though, F335 average, like you said there was some wonderful bits (Q3 and Q4), but likewise some awful parts; so I'm guessing average boundaries. I'm just worrying over silly errors tbh

What's worse is that F334 has the lower weighting, so we have to do really, really well on this tbh to offset any lost marks in F335. Oh well, just gotta try and aim for the best!
    I agree, I think F335 will be average boundaries, well i almost pray they are average and not like the craziness of F334 in January :eek: Its the silly errors I stress over, I can forgive myself for hard questions going badly, but silly marks make me very annoyed at myself, I can only put it down to exam pressure. Like in F334 in January, I got a copy of my paper back and lost a mark because on the amino acid, i got the functional groups right (i.e. the point of the question) but didn't add all the hydrogens onto the rest of the carbons in the carbon chain :doh: i could kick myself! ahh well fingers and toes crossed for us all on this one, hopefully it will be easier after having just done F335 as there's a bit of overlap in the content

ReputationRep:
    I counted the calculation questions (most of which I knew I got wrong) and it was a max of 20 marks if you messed up all the calculations, which made me feel a bit better :P

Can anyone help me with Jun10 2a? I don't really understand what happens
    That does make me feel better hehe thanks I am still gutted with the calculations that came up, what happened to the 5 marker on % yield that i wished for

ReputationRep:
    F334 January 2011 question 3d
    Name:  q.PNG
Views: 124
Size:  27.1 KB

can anyone explain to me how to do these two questions? I don't know how to do them at all - no clue where to even start

I believe this is the part of the data sheet we are supposed to use, I'll attach it for convenience:
    Name:  d.PNG
Views: 151
Size:  28.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreayshawn)
    F334 January 2011 question 2d
    Name:  q.PNG
Views: 124
Size:  27.1 KB

can anyone explain to me how to do these two questions? I don't know how to do them at all - no clue where to even start

I believe this is the part of the data sheet we are supposed to use, I'll attach it for convenience:
    Name:  d.PNG
Views: 151
Size:  28.4 KB
    On my F334 Jan 11 paper, there isn't that question (or even a part d to question 2)

I'm pretty sure you can't do a question like that with the data sheet we get - there is no table for amino acids

ReputationRep:
    You might be doing a legacy paper mate
    On my F334 Jan 11 paper, there isn't that question (or even a part d to question 2)

I'm pretty sure you can't do a question like that with the data sheet we get - there is no table for amino acids
    hmm are you sure you're on the right paper? I got mine off the OCR website and it doesn't say legacy anywhere

ReputationRep:
    hmm are you sure you're on the right paper? I got mine off the OCR website and it doesn't say legacy anywhere
    upload it I might be wrong haha

ReputationRep:
    upload it I might be wrong haha
    I just realised I meant question 3d! sorry!!

ReputationRep:
    I just realised I meant question 3d! sorry!!
    ahh okay, I see it
    Yeah it's not so hard this one - just remember that the anticodon (3 letters/bases) is on the tRNA molecules and the codon (complimentary 3 letters/bases)is on the mRNA.

The data sheet shows you which letters pair with each other if you ever forget
    so A with U, and C with G
    So the anticodon which pairs with the codon AAU is UUA

It also shows you the sequence of 4 amino acids

so, looking at which amino acids join with the triplet base (codon) on mRNA from the data sheet:
    CUG = Leu
    GUC = Val
    GAA = Glu
    GCC = Ala

Using the fact AAU codes for Asp from the question and reading the code in 3s (GCC, AAU, GUC)
    the amino acids are:

Ala, Asp, Val

Sorry if any of that didn't make sense- it's like second nature this stuff after doing so much biology :P

EDIT: instead of Asp the Q wanted Asn my bad

ReputationRep:
    ahh okay, I see it
    Yeah it's not so hard this one - just remember that the anticodon (3 letters/bases) is on the tRNA molecules and the codon (complimentary 3 letters/bases)is on the mRNA.

The data sheet shows you which letters pair with each other if you ever forget
    so A with U, and C with G
    So the anticodon which pairs with the codon AAU is UUA

It also shows you the sequence of 4 amino acids

so, looking at which amino acids join with the triplet base (codon) on mRNA from the data sheet:
    CUG = Leu
    GUC = Val
    GAA = Glu
    GCC = Ala

Using the fact AAU codes for Asp from the question and reading the code in 3s (GCC, AAU, GUC)
    the amino acids are:

Ala, Asp, Val

Sorry if any of that didn't make sense- it's like second nature this stuff after doing so much biology :P
    yep that makes perfect sense thank you so much!
    it seems really obvious and easy now that I understand it.
    hope something like this comes up now- don't think it has since this paper if i remember right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlane5000)
    I agree, I think F335 will be average boundaries, well i almost pray they are average and not like the craziness of F334 in January :eek: Its the silly errors I stress over, I can forgive myself for hard questions going badly, but silly marks make me very annoyed at myself, I can only put it down to exam pressure. Like in F334 in January, I got a copy of my paper back and lost a mark because on the amino acid, i got the functional groups right (i.e. the point of the question) but didn't add all the hydrogens onto the rest of the carbons in the carbon chain :doh: i could kick myself! ahh well fingers and toes crossed for us all on this one, hopefully it will be easier after having just done F335 as there's a bit of overlap in the content
    Totally agree; and likewise, I made such stupid silly errors! It's hard to prepare for the exam pressure though, so you really can't do nothing about it but just try and adapt to it. Unfortunately it's just part of exams tbh.

Defiantly, the more chemistry one does the more (it hurts!) it gets ingrained into ones' head. I've done F332 as well, so I've been tortured by chemistry these past few months Hopefully it'll be all worth it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.