Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR B (Salters) F332 Tuesday 4th June 2013 Exam Discussion (Now Closed) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    Here's the mark scheme for January 2013 for anyone that was asking for it
    Omg this is gonna be my mock exam next week but not gonna look at the markscheme tempting as it maybe lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madrevision)
    Omg this is gonna be my mock exam next week but not gonna look at the markscheme tempting as it maybe lol
    I know it can be tempting but it's good to see what you can do under exam conditions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    What mark scheme notes, sorry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I quote:

(Originally Posted by super121)

This is really good, I made some notes from mark schemes a while back which I can add to this

How do modern catalysts work?
    -Adsorb the molecule (you will lose the mark if you write absorb)
    -Break it's bonds
    -Make new bonds
    -Release it

What is the main intermolecular bond that arises between polyethene chains and how does it occur?
    -Instantaneous dipole-induced dipole
    -At a certain moment in time the electrons may be closer to one side of the molecule creating an instantaneous dipole
    -This can induce a dipole in an unchanged molecule then repel it

How can compounds exist as a pair of E/Z isomers?
    -It has a double bond to prevent it from rotating
    -It has two different groups on each of the C=C (note: you will lose the mark if you say 'functional groups')

What is meant by 'heating under reflux'?
    -Boiling a liquid in a closed system
    -So that no product is lost

Why does formation of ozone not take place in the troposphere?
    -High frequency radiation is only present in the stratosphere
    -O radicals are formed by the photodissociation of O2

I'll edit this and add some more later

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolRunner)
    I quote:

Oh that, I'll add to it when I have time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    I need to smash this exam to make up for my coursework... Does anyone else feel that Salters Coursework must have spawned from the very depths of hell?
    I concur, 47/60 in my coursework leaves me under massive pressure.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    If you count up the carbons and hydrogens on the cyclopentene, you can clearly tell they both don't share the same general formula, since for cyclopentene its C5H8 [a general formula of CnH(2n - 2) for a cycloalkene containing one double bond], whereas a "normal" pentene with just one double bond at the end is C5H10 [or a general formula of CnH2n]

Also, sorry, I should've quoted the user who originally asked this question, oops!
    Thank you makes sense now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Are you re-sitting? If so then you have plenty of opportunity to smash the exams and pull your grade up. 56 is awesome, well done
    Yeah feel like im under soo much pressure this summer! don't want to do any AS's next year this exams worth 50% so i'm really aiming for an A but i'll need all the help i can get! Personally i think ES is the hardest module for this exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondie24)
    Yeah feel like im under soo much pressure this summer! don't want to do any AS's next year this exams worth 50% so i'm really aiming for an A but i'll need all the help i can get! Personally i think ES is the hardest module for this exam
    I didn't find ES too bad tbh, just starting PR now (yeah, a bit late I know) and that looks pretty tricky from what i can see, guess it's personal opinion And don't worry about the re-sit, now you have more experience you can do so much better, trust me! If there's anything you struggle with feel free to PM and i'll see if i can help, or you can post on this thread so anyone else can as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't find ES too bad tbh, just starting PR now (yeah, a bit late I know) and that looks pretty tricky from what i can see, guess it's personal opinion And don't worry about the re-sit, now you have more experience you can do so much better, trust me! If there's anything you struggle with feel free to PM and i'll see if i can help, or you can post on this thread so anyone else can as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You guys are really on this! I haven't started a single paper yet, I hope I'm not the only one. I just finished with A2 chemistry, and unit 1 AS chemistry revision and i'm focusing on A2 biology right now. Hoping to start on the papers about a week before the exam, so everything will still be fresh in my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    You guys are really on this! I haven't started a single paper yet, I hope I'm not the only one. I just finished with A2 chemistry, and unit 1 AS chemistry revision and i'm focusing on A2 biology right now. Hoping to start on the papers about a week before the exam, so everything will still be fresh in my head.
    I haven't done any papers either, still revising

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started with F332 yet. Still doing bloody F336 cw!

ReputationRep:
    I concur, 47/60 in my coursework leaves me under massive pressure.....

I had 60/60 of in the course work :P now time to revise the CONTENT so boring........... that fat book is deadly at putting people to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAZYABDI)
    I had 60/60 of in the course work :P now time to revise the CONTENT so boring........... that fat book is deadly at putting people to sleep.
    How did you get 60/60! I got a high A on the F331 in Jan but have so much trouble with practical work. Any advice for Skills 3 and 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KleoKyp)
    How did you get 60/60! I got a high A on the F331 in Jan but have so much trouble with practical work. Any advice for Skills 3 and 4?

Didnt Revise AT ALL for F331 thus i got a D so i decided i will rape chemistry from march so when we did skills 2 our teacher hinted that skill 3 would be a practical and there would be working outs for skills 4. So i revised all the content on it before doing it thus resulting in 60/60 now all i have to do get 180 ums in both exams for my A . i would advice cover cotent relating to the experiment you did skills 4 will be about a colour test and observation of bubbles and percipitates and all the good stuff :P so pay close attention to your practicle. Revise ketones and all that good stuff . Good luck :P Edit: Its about 4 question long part a , b ,c, d will all be chemistry linked. so revise the equation properly infact there will be something about alkenes on skills 4 if i am not mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh, I recognise some of you from the January thread. Hope you all got the grade you wanted!

I've worked out I need to get 109/150 UMS for my A, and I've been getting between 75-80% so I'm reasonably confident. Only thing I was consistently getting incorrect was the bloody reagents and conditions- whoever posted that document of them YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE LIFE SAVER. Also, nucleophilic substitution and electrophilic addition felt like they took YEARS for me to understand.

From doing the past papers it appears to me that the papers are either incredibly good (like Jan) or absolutely brutal, with high grade boundaries despite the difficulty. Not to scare people, but due to the fact that January was reasonably straightforward (there wasn't anything that wasn't in previous years' papers), I think that this F332 will be an absolute *****!

Does anyone know, typically, what the raw mark boundaries are for an A and B? I've heard people saying that 59 was a B, but I don't think that's right...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can someone explain how the coursework for this AS course works? I have done two practical based activities so far - one on 'Measuring' and one on 'Observation' - and also two theory based activities - one on 'Interpretation' and one on 'Analysis'. Each of the four activities were out of 12 marks, so how does this add up to the 60 marks for the coursework? Or do I still have one more coursework activity to do?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SherlockHolmes)
    Can someone explain how the coursework for this AS course works? I have done two practical based activities so far - one on 'Measuring' and one on 'Observation' - and also two theory based activities - one on 'Interpretation' and one on 'Analysis'. Each of the four activities were out of 12 marks, so how does this add up to the 60 marks for the coursework? Or do I still have one more coursework activity to do?
    Your practical skills are also assessed throughout the year. Your teacher gives you another mark out of 12 for how safely you worked, how good some of your write ups to practicals were (if you did any) etc.

ReputationRep:
    I am revising for chemistry F331 Elements of Life and Developing fuel what would be a common strategy for tackling huge content i dont remember anything cause my teacher is so boring and the book is black and white.... Any way of approaching revision for chemistry will help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAZYABDI)
    I am revising for chemistry F331 Elements of Life and Developing fuel what would be a common strategy for tackling huge content i dont remember anything cause my teacher is so boring and the book is black and white.... Any way of approaching revision for chemistry will help.
    For F331, I found doing loads of past papers and learning the mark schemes was really good as they questions were quite repetitive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much man will do but first need to redo all the content..

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.