Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kousar)
    Because I believe in rights and wrongs. And to go on the streets half naked, to me, is uncivilised. Yes, because men find breasts attractive. But that is not my sole reason for finding it lacks dignity. As a female (and a believer in women's rights, if they call that feminism then I guess I'm a feminist), I find it embarrassing. I find it embarrassing that women feel that blaring breasts is the only way to make a point. Because it damn right isn't. Look at the Suffragettes for example, how they achieved emancipaiton. There are other means.
    Okay so lets reverse genders - if a man protested by exposing his naked form would that be uncivilised? By your rule it should be because I find the back of a muscly man very sexually appealing. So shall we shun all male models? No.
    Secondly, suffragettes were militant radicals that burnt buildings, interrupted public meetings, went on hunger strikes, etc just to mention a few of their tactics. So you believe that burning a building is better than exposing one's breasts? I think it's time you pick up a history book and learn about the movement. They are the equivalent of Black Panthers - a radical group that turned away the public support.
    I mean I guess we could just follow the example of Emily Davison and become martyrs for the movement. I guess that is more ​dignified.

ReputationRep:
    People need to bear in mind that we're discussing an acute act of a political protest in a cultural context where women's rights are in an even worse situation than the worldwide norm. Not women just casually walking around topless for the purpose of insulting or offending others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halbeth)
    People need to bear in mind that we're discussing an acute act of a political protest in a cultural context where women's rights are in an even worse situation than the worldwide norm. Not women just casually walking around topless for the purpose of insulting or offending others.
    Exactly! They have not got a voice to express themselves in a 'civilised' manner. They need this element of surprise or shock if you like in order to get the public and international attention. Whilst I agree that in Europe topless protests aren't particularly effective due to there being relative equality, in countries such as Tunisia where women are viewed as second class citizens what else is there left to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halbeth)
    Just realised I made a grave misjudgement in this post: when I said the worldwide norm, I really meant the UK norm. The worldwide norm for women's rights is pretty f'in appalling.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered this from the other side? A man can take off his top, women may find him attractive but seeing a topless man in public doesn't even lead any one to think twice. It isn't considered as undignified or offensive, and no one would say he was objectifying himself or flaunting his sexuality and he certainly wouldn't be put in the same category as a stripper. A topless woman isn't an offensive thing. A woman's breasts aren't there for men to stare at or "drool over" so if a woman wants to take off her top why should it be viewed as anything other than what it is? A personal choice made by an individual because they have control over what they wear or don't wear when they are out and about. Also, why should a woman have to cover herself up just because men may find her attractive? A gay man may find a topless man in public attractive but this fact doesn't change the point that that man was topless and had a right to be topless. Whether a man finds a woman attractive or not why should his attraction stop her from being able to make her own decisions based on her personal self and what she is comfortable with, just like a man in that position would be able to do. A man should be able to show self restraint just like a woman can when it's summer time and there are a bunch of half naked men drinking pints in a beer garden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenRM)
    Have you considered this from the other side? A man can take off his top, women may find him attractive but seeing a topless man in public doesn't even lead any one to think twice. It isn't considered as undignified or offensive, and no one would say he was objectifying himself or flaunting his sexuality and he certainly wouldn't be put in the same category as a stripper. A topless woman isn't an offensive thing. A woman's breasts aren't there for men to stare at or "drool over" so if a woman wants to take off her top why should it be viewed as anything other than what it is? A personal choice made by an individual because they have control over what they wear or don't wear when they are out and about. Also, why should a woman have to cover herself up just because men may find her attractive? A gay man may find a topless man in public attractive but this fact doesn't change the point that that man was topless and had a right to be topless. Whether a man finds a woman attractive or not why should his attraction stop her from being able to make her own decisions based on her personal self and what she is comfortable with, just like a man in that position would be able to do. A man should be able to show self restraint just like a woman can when it's summer time and there are a bunch of half naked men drinking pints in a beer garden.
    Some people have a foot fetish so I think it's only fair that we ban all open shoes. How could we so inconsiderate as to expose our feet when there are people who find them sexually appealing - they're a distraction to them!

ReputationRep:
    I came here expecting something good for ye olde bank of ****... i leave dissapointed.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind if women decided to go around topless. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. They're free to do what they want in my opinion.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.