Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do squats make your butt, thighs and hips bigger? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothepreacher)
    whatever sister, give me the name of the show.
    lolz sister ?

I don't know, I don't watch HBO shows since the channel is not broadcasted here in the UK. I was thinking its the theme tune for Boxing related stuff such as 24/7 etc.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a flat bum, so I decided to do squats and ever since I have had people tell me that I have a great bum. I have noticed that my legs are more tonned now and have more shape because my legs was so thin. Squats do work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toodles8)
    doing the 30 day squat challenge and i'm only on day 3 so far!
    Post a pic of the specific squat challenge.
    I often find they suggest wayyy to many squats so that it actually ends up losing from that area.

High weights & low reps are the way forward imo - it worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to get a more womanly curve to my body, will squats help?
    or do they make you lose weight in these areas?

and if they do add weight to make you look curvier, why do men do them? (sorry if it's a stupid question...i'm new to the world of working out)
    I can instantly gather the latter from your question :lol:

Squats will help develop your legs in total, not just aesthetically/strength related purposes but also functionally hence why guys do them.

What you mean by "do they make you lose weight in these areas?" is do those exercises make you lose "fat" in those areas. Answer = No exercise helps reduce fat as it all comes down to your dieting/nutrition. Exercises generally aim to either build muscle/increase strength but even that comes down to your dieting.

Dieting plays a bigger role than you think.

Tip: Best exercises to develop your glutes(your butt) would be Barbell hip thrusts especially if you control the negative etc.

Your Hamstrings/Quads are developed from all sorts of exercises I.e leg press to stiff leg deadlifts etc.

Just realised this thread is -3 years old. Who the hell bumped it?

ReputationRep:
    I started using dermalmd glute booster serum last month and i have gained 2 inches of my tights. I have a butt but no hips. I really love it. I will recommend to anyone who needs a fullness in the rear end or tights.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    WHY?!? Do people bump these old threads. Let them rest in peace....

To the most recent post, no. No don't do that.

If i was answering OP after well over 3 whole years, i'd tell her to low bar squat as she is getting too much quad activation through high bar squatting at a guess.

I would hope she'd have sorted all that though by now haha

ReputationRep:
    idk bro glute booster sounds pretty dope
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Implication)
    idk bro glute booster sounds pretty dope
    Give the b1tches what they want i say...

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Squats do work. I started squatting when I was 16 I'm now 19, I get asked by a lot of people in gym what I done to come so far!! Do it I couldn't be more happier about the way I look x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not training for a long time myself, but if your diet is balanced squats will help to strengthen your butt and legs. But any exercise reduces weight in the whole body, so getting slimmer is inevitable. I use a protein shake after every workout and notice I have more muscles now (after 4 months of training).

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to get a more womanly curve to my body, will squats help?
    or do they make you lose weight in these areas?

and if they do add weight to make you look curvier, why do men do them? (sorry if it's a stupid question...i'm new to the world of working out)
    Yes if you squat all the way to the floor it makes your booty pop. Lunges are good as well.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm a guy and my butt is better than most the girls the girls in my school, although strangely it is down to genetics haha
    I workout around 4/5 times a week and dedicate one day to legs/butt. If you wanted to get a bubble butt then you definitely have to do WEIGHTED squats. Do other glute exercises like goblet squats, hip thrusts and reverse lunges (YouTube it all).
    Don't do any 30 day challenges or anything like that, they will just tone the area. Also you will only lose weight by doing squats cardio style (without weight).
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    doing the 30 day squat challenge and i'm only on day 3 so far!
    make sure you do it with weights and eat enough to get muscle gains and not just burn fat there

ReputationRep:
    Man. I'm a size 14, but pretty flat chested, not toned at all, very short, slightly curvy. My housemate is about 6 feet and very skinny, no hips at all.

But I have a womanly body because - yup - I am a woman. And she does she, because she is also a woman.

Enough of this idea that a womanly body is an hourglass one with a butt and boobs, and other women's body shapes are, to various extents, less womanly than this.

I mean good luck with your squats and everything, exercise is great and I'm sure you will look great but it won't make you any more womanly, because you already are!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by abc:))
    Man. I'm a size 14, but pretty flat chested, not toned at all, very short, slightly curvy. My housemate is about 6 feet and very skinny, no hips at all.

But I have a womanly body because - yup - I am a woman. And she does she, because she is also a woman.

Enough of this idea that a womanly body is an hourglass one with a butt and boobs, and other women's body shapes are, to various extents, less womanly than this.

I mean good luck with your squats and everything, exercise is great and I'm sure you will look great but it won't make you any more womanly, because you already are!
    This thread is YEARS old so tbh OP will have made her decision ages ago...

As much as what you say is true, why can't one try and improve?

I looked like a boy 2 years ago at a little over 9 stone.
    I do think i look more manly at 11 stone (same bf%).
    I'll look better at 13/14st if i ever get there (as long as i'm not fat at that weight).

So yeah, people are male and female due to their hormones etc but you can always improve.

I think most women who lift have pretty attractive physiques, particularly lower body. Can't really change your chest (if female) 'that' much (from what little i know about that) but meh.

Just like i'm never going to be MASSIVE. Even with drugs i probably could never get a truly spectacular physique but i can look pretty good with a lot of work.
    I can be stronger, fitter and more healthy than 95%+ of the population and for me, that is enough.

ReputationRep:
    Squats are an an essential exercise for anyone wanting buff legs. As in muscular legs. Its an exercise that mainly targets the quadriceps but also the hamstrings and lower back...its not an exercise for someone wanting curves....its an exercise for someone wanting bigger muscles/better muscle definition.

If you want to work on accentuating curves you need to loose fat....loosing fat = smaller waste and having a smaller waste makes the butt look bigger more curvy...the best way to loose fat is to do cardiovascular exercises....jogging, treadmill, cycling....etc.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    T.....
    My post was for anyone who might read it.

I think you've kind of missed the point because I said I'm sure OP will look great - because exercise does make people look good. And you're right, it's great to want to improve.

My issue was with the word 'womanly' - as if a particular physique is inherently womanly, especially when it includes aspects like hips and breasts and to a certain extent your butt, which are impossible to change without surgery.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by abc:))
    My post was for anyone who might read it.

I think you've kind of missed the point because I said I'm sure OP will look great - because exercise does make people look good. And you're right, it's great to want to improve.

My issue was with the word 'womanly' - as if a particular physique is inherently womanly, especially when it includes aspects like hips and breasts and to a certain extent your butt, which are impossible to change without surgery.

Fair enough.

I get what you're saying and accepting what you have and embracing it is all part of setting realistic goals and improving self-confidence.

I was more pushing an optimistic message, i think most can significantly improve their body.
    Fair enough, a female probably can't change her chest (idk, maybe some have seen a minor improvement with a lot of training) but she can change from abs and down.

You don't know until you try ultimately. There is no way you can't look significantly more curvy (if that's your aim) even if you're a 6ft female let's say.

Do you know of anyone who regularly hits the gym (and trains) who has an (according to society) 'unwomanly' physique? Tbh i don't.

Some people have better physiques than others but of the girls i know that do hit the gym (not a high % of them!), none look bad.

Men have the ability to improve more drastically than women but i don't see why any girl should be pessimistic really. If you really want to improve (as long as you somewhat embrace what you have) then you can massively do so over time imo.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. However take my wonderful advice and do glute bridges. They target all your glute muscles perfectly and I believe they give faster results than squats. Build up the amouth of weight you lift with them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.