Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConsiderScience)
    Yes it is a science when research is done in psychology the scientific method is applied.

Its funny when people say no Clearly they no nothing of the subject.

Although it is important to remember only psychologists who do research could really e considered scientists as they most likely studied psychology as an art and/or therapist degrees.

But to answer your question it's a yes just not everything in it.

Some examples of things psychology researchers might study could be:

The causes of autism

The causes of learning difficulties

Theres lots more but i don't want to go though all research topics in psychology.

Is theoretical physicist not scientist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    What experience have you with it?
    Are we not aloud opinions?

i did a diploma in Psychology, not much but still.

Now I'm studying for a physics degree.

I can see both sides of the argument but if i had to go with one I would say it it's not a science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise6427)
    Yes, but keep them quiet! :naughty:

Sorry

ReputationRep:

i did a diploma in Psychology, not much but still.

Now I'm studying for a physics degree.

I can see both sides of the argument but if i had to go with one I would say it it's not a science.
    what makes something a science then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mullah.S)
    what makes something a science then?
    Like I said I can see both sides.

IMO I suppose it depends what you do after a Psychology degree, it it's something like being a therapist then i don't think it is but if it's research then maybe it can be labeled a science but more a social science.

There's different pathways you can go.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said I can see both sides.

IMO I suppose it depends what you do after a Psychology degree, it it's something like being a therapist then i don't think it is but if it's research then maybe it can be labeled a science but more a social science.

There's different pathways you can go.

Not the psychologist , psychology!

You are not answering question. What makes something a science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooIntelligent)
    My gosh. How nice of you to be such a narrow-minded person.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    Not the psychologist , psychology!

You are not answering question. What makes something a science?
    Research is the obvious one but after a degree in psychology there are different ways to go. If you do research then yes it is science but like i said i would say it's a social science as you're doing research on mind and behavior.

I just think it's a social science.

There is no right or wrong answer to it, everyone has different opinions.

What makes something a science to you?

ReputationRep:
    BA would be most likely preparing you for therapy and so on where as BSc would be training you to do research and apply the scientific method in psychology you would also notice that with psychology doctorates there's a psyd and a phd.
    Thanks, that makes sense, and also shows the scientific and non-scientific side of psychology. I would guess that on courses such as the one at Sheffield (where BA and BSc students do identical modules) they merged the two pathways but kept both degree types.

ReputationRep:
    Research is the obvious one but after a degree in psychology there are different ways to go. If you do research then yes it is science but like i said i would say it's a social science as you're doing research on mind and behavior.

I just think it's a social science.

There is no right or wrong answer to it, everyone has different opinions.

What makes something a science to you?
    Is not a simple question i am believe.

If was as easy as saying if you doing research in it then what about theoretical physics? is theoretical physics not science?

ReputationRep:
    Is not a simple question i am believe.

If was as easy as saying if you doing research in it then what about theoretical physics? is theoretical physics not science?
    I don't get what that first sentance means.

I'm not even 100% sure what theoretical physics is, to my knowledge it is physics using maths to work out then describe things.
    To me that's research as they come up with their own findings (correct if wrong)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooIntelligent)
    I'm guessing you did it and want to make yourself seem more intelligent?

To answer the OP's question: NO, Psychology isn't a science. It's an arts subject. *LOL* :rolleyes: People claiming it to be a science just want to make themselves seem more intelligent by saying they are study a science so people will think they are as intelligent as people doing maths, biology, chemistry, physics etc. which they are so obviously not.
    That's rich, coming from an attention wh*** on a student forum such as yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I just realised that my earlier post in this thread has completely disappeared! Very strange...:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes its a science.
    What makes you say that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    What makes you say that?
    A number of things some i have explained already they apply the scientific method during research being one of the key points and i don't see the point in bringing this topic up again

ReputationRep:
    A number of things some i have explained already they apply the scientific method during research being one of the key points and i don't see the point in bringing this topic up again
    Okay haha, I actually want to study psychology, it seems really interesting

ReputationRep:
    Okay haha, I actually want to study psychology, it seems really interesting
    It is sorry if my last post seemed rude its just this post died a week ago
    But yeah psychology is viewed as a science due to its use of the scientific method and so on.

It is really worth studying if you're interested in the human mind and human behavior

ReputationRep:
    It is sorry if my last post seemed rude its just this post died a week ago
    But yeah psychology is viewed as a science due to its use of the scientific method and so on.

It is really worth studying if you're interested in the human mind and human behavior
    No, it's okay and it's only a week!

Yeah, I'm going to pick it for my A levels, hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's okay and it's only a week!

Yeah, I'm going to pick it for my A levels, hopefully.
    Ok well good luck with those A grades you will hopefully get and have a great night

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is, at a degree level it opens the door to a lot of statistics neuro/biological business. The main reason some people May say disagree is pointing to the a level, which I believe is a very dumbed down version unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.