The Student Room Group

22 August 2013 GCSE results: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
1 ums of an a* in OCR business, should i get it remarked?
Reply 81
Original post by SamA7
got a b in PE which I'm getting remarked for an a

Mmm is it the exam? How many marks are you off may I ask?
Reply 82
Original post by tillytot_882
I am 5 UMS marks away from a B in maths and I need this for an entry to do a certain subject. I did double maths award so this is a combination of two Maths results, one I got a C in and one I got a B in. Is 5 UMS marks too far away for maths to try and get it remarked? Does anyone know how many marks that is roughly? Please help!!

I doubt you might get in with maths. You could get lucky, but you effectively would have a better chance of retaking the exam. If it was for an essay based subject then there would be no problem. However, this is Maths, and is very hard to mark incorrectly due to the answers being precise (meaning they will only accept 65 as an answer instead of 65.9 or 66). Though if you wanted to you could. However, you could get marked down, as there is more of a possibility that examiners over mark then under mark. However you might get away with it this year as the examiners were bloody strict this year :angry:

Anyway good luck with it and congrats with your results :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by theJdog
Ah yeah my parents will have to fork out lots for my re-sits :colone: . And I got an A overall, but am only a few marks of an A*, so it might be worth it to Re-mark it. However, that depends on how much the re-sits are going to cost. I really hope I do well this time round. Surprisingly, I did the least revision for Physics as a whole (out of the re-sit subjects) and I got the highest for them. My teacher gave me an A* for my coursework (90UMS) but then I got 83 UMS. What do you think I should do?

Haha woops:colonhash: yh might be worth remarking history as it is likely to go up depending on the examiner! So maybe re take unit 7 , it's more likely to get u the a*- science marks don't change much:eek:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by sr-96
1 ums of an a* in OCR business, should i get it remarked?
Well, I'm not too sure about the exam, all I can say is that if it is essay based (like RE or History or English) then it is worth getting a remark. Otherwise there is no point. And well done :smile: That's really close.

Original post by EvasiveRose
I might get my ICT exam remarked Was overall, 1 UMS mark of an A:tongue:

WOW! And hi EvasiveRose! How are you? Long time no talk :tongue: I think that if ICT then yeah you might as well, you could gain a UMS or two :biggrin: Well done :smile:

Original post by Spacey368
What should I remark/retake

1. Edexcel GCSE ICT: 5 UMS off an A

2. Additional Applied Science: 3 UMS of a B

I'd retake the science and remark the ICT, as I hear that ICT is a bit essay like. Science has really certain answers so is a bit harder to get a change in the grade.Well done though :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
1 UMS off an A in RE
2 marks off an A* in English lit
3/400 marks off an A in Additional Science (might leave that one though)

Do I have to go through my school to get a remark or is it possible to do myself? Because I honestly doubt my school would care enough or even be willing to sort remarks out for me..
Reply 86
I'd retake the science and remark the ICT, as I hear that ICT is a bit essay like. Science has really certain answers so is a bit harder to get a change in the grade.Well done though :smile:

Thank you

Don't think I'll bother retaking the science. I'm doing it next year but i'll remark the ICT. (Additional Applied accepts C grades) Also could I retake the science in January if I wanted to?
Original post by theJdog

WOW! And hi EvasiveRose! How are you? Long time no talk :tongue: I think that if ICT then yeah you might as well, you could gain a UMS or two :biggrin: Well done :smile:

Are you implying it's my fault that we haven't talked in a long while :eyebrow:?
I'm fine today. How about you? :colone:
Do you think I should ask for my script back or just go for a straight remark?
Reply 88
Original post by theJdog
Is anyone thinking about doing any resits or remarks for any of their exams? What exams are you doing it for? Would you like to share them? Here's mine.

Re-sits:
Biology OCR 21st - Unit 123 (B) and Unit 7 (C)
Maths Edexcel Modular - Unit 2 or Unit 2 (might be Unit 3 - similar to A-Levels)
Chemistry OCR - Unit 7 (C and can get an A* easily if I improve by one grade)
Physics OCR - Maybe, as I'm really close to getting an A*. I will either do Unit 7 (A - two marks of A*) or Unit 123 (A as well).

Re-marks:
History maybe, as I can get an A*, I'm fairly close to it.

I want to re-sit to try and get a better grade, as these are the subjects I am taking for A-Levels (well apart from physics, but I'm quite close to getting a higher grade so why not).

May I ask what the purpose is for retaking all these exams? You've already well and truly passed any benchmark for college, and proven you know the foundations to the very core.

Surely at this point it would be wise to just focus that energy on getting amazing grades in your new modules at college - looking forward instead of back.

Maybe I'm just old or something, but with perspective, each step is not in its own right an acjievement but rather just a good stepping stone to the next.

I'd understand if you wanted to retake from a c to an a grade - but what you're proposing is like being accepted to your first choice uni but then going back and retaking an a level. It doesn't make sense!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
I really need help please!:smile: I got an A overall in maths and I was two marks off an A star so I might repeat one of the papers (CCEA T6) and also I was two marks off an A star in biology again by CCEA and in both english literature and language I was two marks off an A which papers do you recommend I repeat or get remarked? any help would be greatly appreciated plus I'm fourth year in Ireland going into fifth:smile: if that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by theJdog
Ah, you'll probably get it with English, and maybe Economics too (not too sure, never took that).

The Economics exam has like four 8/16 mark questions so like mini essays, do you think it's worth getting remarked? (I know things like Maths aren't because they have definitive answers but if it has long answer questions ... )
Reply 91
Might resist both my English to take it up to an A, but do unis see if you've done this and does it go against you.
In September I'll be starting Sixth Form.
Today I got my Maths GCSE result and it was a C. I've been doing modules of Unit 1/2/3. I sat Unit 3 in June and consequently come out with a C. Now I'm wondering if I could resit either Unit 1/2/3 in November 2013 externally by telling my new college whether its possible or not. Does it matter if I''ve already resat unit 2 in March 2012 ?

So my main question is would I be allowed to do Maths unit 1/2/3 in November or am I only allowed one resit which I've already used.
I got 263 in English language so I'm short of 7 ums but that was only 3 raw marks in the exam from 108 - 115, I'd have to lose 10 raw marks to go down a grade, do you think it's worth the risk?
I got 1A,2Bs,3Cs and 2Ds

But the 2ds are very confusing as one is geography and in unit 1 i got a c in year 10 but then in year 11 i started to improve and got a b in my mock and a A in my controlled assessment ( just one mark away from that star) me and my friend received the same mark but on her paper she got an A i got a D :,( i called edexcel and asked them what was my ums was and it was 31 when i scored 43 maybe it got mixed up because my name is never on exams lists sometimes and i was given different exam timetables I am really gutted because i wanted to do geography as an alevel and my teacher was so impressed with me i could not stop crying today because i have cf and i am really proud but that d that d should i remark because it really makes no sense at all
Reply 95
Original post by LeEastafrican
hi im in year 10,
i got an A in maths today but my teacher told me i was one away from A*. is it worth getting it remarked? edexcel.

Usually not worth it for maths as the papers are marked according to a strict markscheme. Are you doing Maths for A-Level? If so, you may as well get it remarked and see if it goes up. If not, just leave it - an A is an awesome grade! :biggrin:
Reply 96
Original post by sophiamarni
I got 1A,2Bs,3Cs and 2Ds

But the 2ds are very confusing as one is geography and in unit 1 i got a c in year 10 but then in year 11 i started to improve and got a b in my mock and a A in my controlled assessment ( just one mark away from that star) me and my friend received the same mark but on her paper she got an A i got a D :,( i called edexcel and asked them what was my ums was and it was 31 when i scored 43 maybe it got mixed up because my name is never on exams lists sometimes and i was given different exam timetables I am really gutted because i wanted to do geography as an alevel and my teacher was so impressed with me i could not stop crying today because i have cf and i am really proud but that d that d should i remark because it really makes no sense at all

If you are sure you did better, you may as well go for the remark. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
If you are sure you did better, you may as well go for the remark. :smile:

Thanks so much i will have to pay for they negligence -.- they may have mixed it up :/ because my teacher gave me an A got it moderated my another geog teacher who is also an ex-examiner something is fishy
Reply 98
Original post by x E x
Might resist both my English to take it up to an A, but do unis see if you've done this and does it go against you.

See the OP of this thread. :smile:

Original post by iamlynchy
I really need help please!:smile: I got an A overall in maths and I was two marks off an A star so I might repeat one of the papers (CCEA T6) and also I was two marks off an A star in biology again by CCEA and in both english literature and language I was two marks off an A which papers do you recommend I repeat or get remarked? any help would be greatly appreciated plus I'm fourth year in Ireland going into fifth:smile: if that helps!

Well done on your marks. :biggrin:

I suggest you don't get the sciences or maths remarked as they're usually marked very accurately according to a strict markscheme. You may as well get your English exams remarked though...it is unlikely your mark will go down significantly and because the marking is subjective, you could go up a grade. :smile:

Original post by NinjaPandaa
I got 263 in English language so I'm short of 7 ums but that was only 3 raw marks in the exam from 108 - 115, I'd have to lose 10 raw marks to go down a grade, do you think it's worth the risk?

It is very unlikely for your mark to drop by 10 raw marks in all honesty. Ask your teacher to see what he/she thinks. :smile:

Original post by EvasiveRose

Do you think I should ask for my script back or just go for a straight remark?

You can't request for your script back and then request a remark :no:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by LeEastafrican
i think its linear and there are 2 papers

Oh ok, then, maybe you can remark them and see? But I do doubt they will go up. No harm in trying (well, you might go down).

Quick Reply

Latest