Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New Kent Youth Crime Commissioner posts offensive tweets Watch

Regardless of her tweets -- why the hell was a 17-year-old "youth police commissioner" being paid £15,000 per year???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    With current Tory cuts to services and people being squeezed more than ever by taxes and rising costs, I'm not sure 'investigating' a 17 year old for offensive tweets posted years ago that almost no-one had seen before the media storm is a justifiable use of police money. As well as making no moral sense, it makes no economic sense, either.
    So the police shouldn't investigate something if it's not worth it economically? Anyway that isn't what you suggested. You suggested the police actually stop investigating real crimes to investigate the tweets that she made, obviously that is more than a gross exaggeration it's actually complete balls. That said one could argue that they are obliged to investigate it if complaints are made since her tweets did contain homophobia. Or would you rather homophobic speech is completely ignored?

The irony is, what happened to be a victimless crime has actually turned the perpetrator into the victim. She's lost her job, and may now face prosecution.
    She isn't a victim and frankly tough titties that she lost her job. Putting aside the fact that it was a stupid job role anyway, a waste of money in my opinion, I really don't really have much sympathy for her. It's true that lots of people act like a tool when they are 14 or 15 and I did as well but I didn't spew homophobic nonsense. Granted twitter wasn't around when I was 15, and actually the internet forums as we know them now were quite young, however there was still social networking in various forms.
    It's just difficult for me to give a **** about this in general, especially when people play her up to be some sort of mega victim. She's actually just a victim of her own circumstances. Well, that's life. You live and learn, sometimes you need to learn the hard way.

ReputationRep:
    With current Tory cuts to services and people being squeezed more than ever by taxes and rising costs, I'm not sure 'investigating' a 17 year old for offensive tweets posted years ago that almost no-one had seen before the media storm is a justifiable use of police money. As well as making no moral sense, it makes no economic sense, either.

The irony is, what happened to be a victimless crime has actually turned the perpetrator into the victim. She's lost her job, and may now face prosecution.
    What police investigation are you talking about? As far as I'm aware, there has been no police investigation into her tweets. It was the papers who discovered and revealed the tweets to the public.

ReputationRep:
    is it illegal to make remarks about PB's hair ? i am definitely hairophobic in that case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    So the police shouldn't investigate something if it's not worth it economically? Anyway that isn't what you suggested. You suggested the police actually stop investigating real crimes to investigate the tweets that she made, obviously that is more than a gross exaggeration it's actually complete balls. That said one could argue that they are obliged to investigate it if complaints are made since her tweets did contain homophobia. Or would you rather homophobic speech is completely ignored?

She isn't a victim and frankly tough titties that she lost her job. Putting aside the fact that it was a stupid job role anyway, a waste of money in my opinion, I really don't really have much sympathy for her. It's true that lots of people act like a tool when they are 14 or 15 and I did as well but I didn't spew homophobic nonsense. Granted twitter wasn't around when I was 15, and actually the internet forums as we know them now were quite young, however there was still social networking in various forms.
    It's just difficult for me to give a **** about this in general, especially when people play her up to be some sort of mega victim. She's actually just a victim of her own circumstances. Well, that's life. You live and learn, sometimes you need to learn the hard way.
    That's the point. Homophobic speech shouldn't be ignored; it should be rebutted and ridiculed. But not prosecuted. Barring the complete disregard for free speech prosecuting someone with unpleasant views is, it creates martyrs who develop a persecution complex. One of the greatest things I think about America is the ability to say almost anything without the government wasting tax dollars to punish you for it, and I'd like a similar 'free speech' clause for the British constitution.

I agree with your second point. I don't have that much sympathy for her, and yes, it's a silly role. I just think it's a big fuss over nothing.

ReputationRep:

I agree with your second point. I don't have that much sympathy for her, and yes, it's a silly role. I just think it's a big fuss over nothing.
    The police should have bigger fish to fry. This is a storm over nothing. This definetly shouldn't be front page news

I can't believe this is still getting coverage in the news. It really isn't that serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.