Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Physics Unit 2 "Physics at work" June 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: The last question - Does resistance increase or decrease?
    It increases ( using V=IR or some other method)
    70.73%
    It decreases using the 'lattice vibrations' theory
    29.27%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    V=IR \ \Rightarrow \ \dfrac{I}{R} = \dfrac{V}{R^2}

Where V is constant.

You should know what a reciprocal graph looks like.
    Appreciate the try but I don't really follow what you did , sorry Could you explain it please, if you don't mind? Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE-help)
    Appreciate the try but I don't really follow what you did , sorry Could you explain it please, if you don't mind? Thanks so much.
    IR = V

\dfrac{IR}{R^2} = \dfrac{V}{R^2}

\dfrac{I}{R} = \dfrac{V}{R^2}

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, since GCSE I've never understood how to draw circuit diagrams does anyone know where I can learn?

ReputationRep:
    IR = V

\dfrac{IR}{R^2} = \dfrac{V}{R^2}

\dfrac{I}{R} = \dfrac{V}{R^2}
    LOL thanks

ReputationRep:
    This guy's youtube channel explains it all concepts in A level thats how i'm even understand 1-2 marks questions. http://www.youtube.com/user/DrPhysicsA

ReputationRep:
    LOL thanks
    Now that I look at it again, what I did was rather unnecessary, you could just say I = \dfrac{V}{R} and thus a graph of I against R would take the shape of a reciprocal graph.

ReputationRep:
    Now that I look at it again, what I did was rather unnecessary, you could just say I = \dfrac{V}{R} and thus a graph of I against R would take the shape of a reciprocal graph.
    Yeah I'm probably wrong here, because you sound quite good at physics, BUT wouldn't we use the P= I^2 R formula here?

ReputationRep:
    Well a V/R graph can be a straight line too, I'm sure of this.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone understand the theory behind max power occurs when load resistance equals internal resistance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm probably wrong here, because you sound quite good at physics, BUT wouldn't we use the P= I^2 R formula here?
    Why would we do that? We want a graph of I against R, and we're told that voltage is constant. They never said a word about power.

Well a V/R graph can be a straight line too, I'm sure of this.
    Only if I is constant. The info given is that V is constant, meaning the variables are I and R. I = \dfrac{V}{R} can therefore be compared to a graph of y = \dfrac{k}{x}, where k is a constant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshThomas)
    Does anyone understand the theory behind max power occurs when load resistance equals internal resistance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.
    When I read it in the textbook I was also confused. Damn textbook. But you can use calculus to show that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE)
    Yes.
    When I read it in the textbook I was also confused. Damn textbook. But you can use calculus to show that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    which book are you guys using to revise from?

ReputationRep:
    Is A level physics hard ? I want to take mathematical science in university and I'm doing maths and further maths. my maths grades are good so far. but the university that I'm going to needs at least 1 science subject. My igcse result for science subjs arent tht good either. I got a C for biology and a D for physics. but most people say that bio is harder than phy at A level. I don't know if I'm able to cope with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rfs127)
    Is A level physics hard ? I want to take mathematical science in university and I'm doing maths and further maths. my maths grades are good so far. but the university that I'm going to needs at least 1 science subject. My igcse result for science subjs arent tht good either. I got a C for biology and a D for physics. but most people say that bio is harder than phy at A level. I don't know if I'm able to cope with it
    Even if you're good at maths, a D at IGCSE means you'll most likely struggle with the concepts at A-level. Isn't there anything else you're good at? Chemistry maybe, or non-science subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Even if you're good at maths, a D at IGCSE means you'll most likely struggle with the concepts at A-level. Isn't there anything else you're good at? Chemistry maybe, or non-science subjects?
    I did business studies, economics, general studies. and my grades were good. but I really wanna take maths in university since I like maths. and that's the thing. i just knew that i need at least 1 science subj. its in the requirement. You think i should just change my course ? I don't think they'll accept the other subjs tht i did since they're arent science.

ReputationRep:
    I did business studies, economics, general studies. and my grades were good. but I really wanna take maths in university since I like maths. and that's the thing. i just knew that i need at least 1 science subj. its in the requirement. You think i should just change my course ? I don't think they'll accept the other subjs tht i did since they're arent science.
    You don't need a science subject to study maths. I'm applying for maths (2014 entry) myself, I've never seen a uni with that requirement before.

Do Economics then, I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a science subject to study maths. I'm applying for maths (2014 entry) myself, I've never seen a uni with that requirement before.

Do Economics then, I'd say.
    Do you perhaps know the diff between bachelor of art in mathematics and bachelor of science in mathematical science ?
    i mean, its mathematics, the stuff are just the same rite ?

ReputationRep:
    Do you perhaps know the diff between bachelor of art in mathematics and bachelor of science in mathematical science ?
    i mean, its mathematics, the stuff are just the same rite ?
    Is this for universities in the UK?

Depends on the university, but it doesn't really matter. For example, Leicester offers both BSc and BA in Maths, the difference is that you have an option to study a language as well for the BA.

At Cambridge, however, they only have a "BA Mathematics", but that's because they call all their bachelor's degrees BA (even the science ones), for some reason.

Most universities consider it a bachelor of science degree.

Degrees called "mathematical science" are pretty rare btw, it's almost always called BSc/BA Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Is this for universities in the UK?

Depends on the university, but it doesn't really matter. For example, Leicester offers both BSc and BA in Maths, the difference is that you have an option to study a language as well for the BA.

At Cambridge, however, they only have a "BA Mathematics", but that's because they call all their bachelor's degrees BA (even the science ones), for some reason.

Most universities consider it a bachelor of science degree.

Degrees called "mathematical science" are pretty rare btw, it's almost always called BSc/BA Mathematics.
    unfortunately, I'm applying to Malaysia, so I guess the whole thing is different. That's why they need science subject for mathematical science. I'm not sure about BA maths tho. I sent an email to the university, but still no response. ugh. if no science subject is needed. I might just apply for BA maths instead of mathematical science. but, thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately, I'm applying to Malaysia, so I guess the whole thing is different. That's why they need science subject for mathematical science. I'm not sure about BA maths tho. I sent an email to the university, but still no response. ugh. if no science subject is needed. I might just apply for BA maths instead of mathematical science. but, thanks anyway
    I am Malaysian (though I'm applying overseas).

Which uni are you applying to?

EDIT: If you want to continue this conversation, post a message on my profile or send me a private message, as we're going off-topic on this thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.