Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever been insulted about your looks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i have a scar from birth on my right cheek, it's pretty sizable, and I always used to get people giving me weird looks and asking me whether i was bitten or someone glasgow smile'd me...
    also the generic comments telling me I'm fat etc; I think anyone who isn't incredibly skinny gets called fat at least once in their life, and even the skinny people get abuse for being skinny, its a lose:lose situation.

ReputationRep:
    From years 5 all the way to year 9 I got bullied about my weight. I was the fat kid but after year 9. At secondary school I got dragged through the snow with kids kicking it on me for those 3 years. Plenty more stuff...names...I was always the kid who "farted" in class even when it wasn't me. There's a lot more to it.

After year 9 in the summer holidays I went on a strict diet and workout plan and came back in year 10 taller and thinner than before. I also managed to learn to fight back. The next snow day I grabbed the ring leader of the bullies and dragged HIM through the snow. Nobody really messed with me after that, and it felt good

Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I was bullied and picked on for my looks a lot up until sixth form, I'm really pale and had horrible mousy frizzy hair and admittedly did look very geeky. I often got picked on for wearing glasses as well.
    It completely floored my confidence and self esteem and I used to get so depressed about it, I would've given anything to be 'pretty' back then.
    Puberty was admittedly very nice to me, and I got picked up by a modelling agency when I was 16, and this gave me so much confidence and ever since then I've let the comments I got before go and actually like how I look mostly.
    However I do still get the 'only a dog wants a bone' and 'only curvy girls are real girls' comments occasionally, which is more hurtful than people realise but I let it get to me a lot less than I used to let nasty comments get to me through childhood.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdfo9tOn9cU
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes

I went through all of secondary school being known as the "fat one", the "slow one". I was insulted about my weight so much and as a result my self-confidence was knocked so badly.

It got worse because even in my household my brother would always make comments about him being the better looking sibling, that he was never obese, that nobody would want to be with me.

In December last year I said enough was enough. I was tired of being insulted about my weight, having people treat me differently because I was big. I've been losing weight since and almost lost 2 stones.

There was also me being called gay throughout all my time in school, it was not nice

There are some horrible people in this world. But I do believe in karma and that everything will be okay for you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    All the time, a lot of people mistake me as being anorexic and it really knocks my self confidence. What they don't know is that I'm naturally very slim as a result of a high metabolism, which runs in my family

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Yes, all the time when I was growing up.

I happened to have a congenital malformation above the neck (so head area) and this got me a bit of attention. The thing is, is that the malformation isn't that obvious. It's one of the things that people tend not to notice if they don't look at you for too long. However, people naturally just look at things and people. And boy, I do remember several occasions when people would just stare point blankly and not even pretend that they were looking at my malformation. And whilst I ignored them, it didn't half hurt people noticing, as my parents always said there was nothing wrong with me.It got worse when people in my class would look and stare and whisper and point at me. Just for a literally tiny malformation. Tbh, it made me feel disgusted with my looks.

Erm, I tended to get laughed at for having big feet for a girl size 7-8, and people(girl students) would literally laugh out loud as they saw my feet. (I was just like, wtf? they're not even that big)

And people were just generally mean at school, like saying oh "at least I don't have your face" and oh "you're a big nose" or just being *****y about looks. e.g. laughing at eyebrows etc.

Tbh, it did affect me, and still does. I'm pretty self conscious and I spent ages, avoiding eye contact when talking to people, just so they wouldn't notice my face or anything about me.

ReputationRep:
    nope, I'm reem

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've been called ugly a few times, laughed at etc

Thing is, I feel I still haven't changed. I feel happy for everyone on here who say that they've either lost weight or puberty was kind to them. I still feel like the same awkward 14 year old.

ReputationRep:
    I've been called ugly a fair few times, it was all back in my secondary school days (my school was mad crazy). Nobody has said anything in college or uni so I'm guessing its just a case of maturity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    I think that's pretty cool lol, are those your eyes in your picture?
    Thanks! And yeah, well the one eye :P

I get insulted because of my race... and because I have a faint line across my nose due to medical issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phillipsherman)
    Can I have a look?

Not in a creepy way... ha
    Haha sure! I don't know how to post a photo though :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I was going to write something but after reading this I thought mine was just nothing.
    That's a bad mentality.

ReputationRep:
    I put on a bit of weight in year 9 due to a very poor school diet. A boy once kicked my chair repeatedly then giggled to his friends and told them to watch my leg fat wobble. The sad thing is I wasn't even fat - I was skinny up 'til that point and when I gained weight I only went up to a size 10. Not even close to fat. But anything more than skinny is seen as fat, especially at school, when kids are particularly cruel.

I'm a size 8 now and have been for a few years. My ex boyfriend once told me he didn't like the shirt I was wearing because it made me look fat. My opinion of him went rather downhill after that, because he wasn't kidding around. And I'm a freakin' size EIGHT. No wonder people worry so much about their looks with comments like that, HELL, sizes 10,12,14, etc. are not FAT.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get the usual 'I still wouldn't date you if you were the last man alive on Earth or even in the universe' sort of thing, which I grew used to. But then they started calling me a paedo/Michael Jackson/names with those connotations, because in year 7 I had hairly legs, a hairy chest, and by year 8, Sideburns. It was fairly demoralizing but now I've grown to embrace it and cherish it, and sometimes I look like someone off the back of a £5 note!

But then there was the time when girls in my year said that they'd rather date my brother (who is two years younger than me), than me...to my face. These girls were extremely good looking and I died a little inside because it was that embarrassing and demoralizing - I hadn't even asked them out or something to provoke it. they just came out with it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they've always been sneaky insults though! Like,

This girl once said to me "you have really nice eyes... Well actually, the left one is really nice." Now, before this I really hadn't thought there was any difference between my left and right eye but apparently so! Still annoys me trying to figure out what.

Another, I was having a particularly spotty, hormonal week and my 3 year old nephew came up to me and said "aww, what's all the baddies on your face? You need to go to hospital..." Would've been cute if it wasn't said to me haha!

ReputationRep:
    I got bullied for my weight ever since I was a child.

I got told by a few kids on my street that I was 'too fat' to play with them or use their toys because I'll break them if I sit on them.

I remember one day in primary school we had to do something in PE where we had to hit our thighs to music. I just burst into tears because of how fat my legs were and refused to carry on.

My brother always reffered to me as 'fat *****' instead of my name.

Ive been told by several guys that Im lovely but need to consider loosing 10 stone before they would consider going on a date with me.
    .....Id be nearly dead if I lost ten stone.

This didnt stop in uni either. Me and my friends were all going to join the uni gym. Until a 'friend' said that Im too fat to be interested in physical fitness....

Its dented myself confidence about my looks so much.
    Im trying to lose around 5 - 6 stone. I think id be happy if I was a size 6/8 rather than what I am now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Up until I had six years of orthodontia and invested in contact lenses- yes. Looking back, I don't really remember feeling that hurt by them because I was used to not being good looking, so they didn't have much of an impact. People were horrifically mean though, I'd hate it if the same thing happened to my children

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.