Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since this one hasn't been answered yet:

Solution 16

Note, applying x+\sqrt{x^2+1} \to x to the former and x-\sqrt{x^2+1} \to x to the latter:

\displaystyle\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \displaystyle \mathfrak{I}(f)(x) dx = \displaystyle\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{d}{dx}[x+\sqrt{x^2+1}]f(x+\sqrt{x^2+1}) dx +\displaystyle\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{d}{dx}[x-\sqrt{x^2+1}]f(x-\sqrt{x^2+1}) dx

=\displaystyle\int _{0}^{\infty} f(x)dx + \displaystyle\int _{-\infty}^{0}f(x)dx

=\displaystyle\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) dx _{\square}

Observe now that \displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{\cos x \sin  (\sqrt{x^2+1})}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx = \dfrac{1}{2} \displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\dfrac{\sin (x+ \sqrt{x^2+1} ) - \sin (x-\sqrt{x^2+1})}{\sqrt{x^2+1}} dx

=\dfrac{1}{2} \displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left(\dfrac{x+ \sqrt {x^2+1}}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}\right)  \dfrac{\sin (x +\sqrt{x^2+1})}{x+\sqrt{x^2+1}} + \left( \dfrac{\sqrt{x^2+1} - x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}} \right) \dfrac{\sin(x-\sqrt{x^2+1})}{x-\sqrt{x^2+1}} dx

=\dfrac{1}{2} \displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\dfrac{\sin (x +\sqrt{x^2+1})}{x+\sqrt{x^2+1}} + \dfrac{\sin (x -\sqrt{x^2+1})}{x-\sqrt{x^2+1}}\right) + \dfrac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}\left( \dfrac{ \sin (x +\sqrt{x^2+1})}{x+\sqrt{x^2+1}} - \dfrac{\sin (x -\sqrt{x^2+1})}{x-\sqrt{x^2+1}}\right) dx

=\dfrac{1}{2} \displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{\sin x}{x} dx

=\dfrac{\pi}{2}, by applying the above result in the case f(x) =\dfrac{\sin x}{x}.

ReputationRep:
    Problem 24

Evaluate \displaystyle \prod_{n=1}^{1006} \sin \left(\frac{n\pi}{2013}\right)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star-girl)
    Problem 14**

Prove that 2^{60}-1 is divisible by 61.
    2 to the power of 60 - 1 = 1152921504606846795
    1152921504606846795 / 61 = 18900352534538475
    Therefore it's divisible by 61. Problem solved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    x
    Solution 20
    Integral
    \displaystyle\int \sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}} dx Let x = r \sin \theta \Rightarrow dx = r \cos \theta d \theta

\Rightarrow \displaystyle\int \sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}} dx = r^{2} \displaystyle\int \cos^{2} \theta d \theta = \frac{r^{2}}{2} \displaystyle\int (1 + \cos 2 \theta) d \theta

= \frac{r^{2}}{2} \left( \theta + \sin \theta \cos \theta \right) We have \theta = \arcsin \frac{x}{r} and

\sin \theta \cdot \cos \theta = \frac{x}{r} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}}{r}} = \frac{x \sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}}{r^{2}}

= \dfrac{1}{2} \left( r^{2} \arcsin \dfrac{x}{r} + x \sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}\right) + \mathcal{C}

Let \arcsin \dfrac{x}{r} = \theta \Rightarrow \dfrac{x}{r} = \sin \theta and \cos \theta = \dfrac{\sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}}{r} \Rightarrow \tan \theta = \dfrac{x}{\sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}} \Rightarrow \arcsin \dfrac{x}{r} = \arctan \left( \dfrac{x} {\sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}} \right)

So the integral is \dfrac{1}{2} \left(r^{2} \arctan \left( \dfrac{x}{\sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}} \right) + x \sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}} \right) + \mathcal{C} as required.

circle
    The area of the circle is given by 4 \displaystyle\int_{0}^{r} \sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}} dx Let x = r \sin \theta \Rightarrow dx = r \cos \theta d \theta and r \to \frac{\pi}{2} and 0 \to 0

\Rightarrow 4 \displaystyle\int_{0}^{r} \sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}} dx = 2r^{2} \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi /2} (\cos 2 \theta + 1) d \theta = \pi r^{2}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    x
    Damn, I was just about to start writing this one up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    The funny thing is... my method of using FLT also only takes 2 lines of work :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Damn, I was just about to start writing this one up!
    Ninja'd :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I'm really tempted to ask problems that are well-known theorems under disguise (as I think they serve to educate interesting points) but it's hard to judge the difficulty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Hmm I'm really tempted to ask problems that are well-known theorems under disguise (as I think they serve to educate interesting points) but it's hard to judge the difficulty
    Lay it on me (Not today though, tired, sleepy time )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    The funny thing is... my method of using FLT also only takes 2 lines of work :lol:
    Not fair, FLT isn't part of the A Level syllabus is it?

ReputationRep:
    We were having trouble proving that 2^700^70^7-1 is divisible by 101. Show us your ways.

ReputationRep:
    Not fair, FLT isn't part of the A Level syllabus is it?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It is, and it's a proof you need to know. FLT, by the way, is short for Fermat's Last Theorem, there's a section on it in C4 :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It is, and it's a proof you need to know. FLT, by the way, is short for Fermat's Last Theorem, there's a section on it in C4 :ninja:
    In the context Noble uses it, FLT means Fermat's Little Theorem here (which you don't need to know at A-Level :p: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    In the context Noble uses it, FLT means Fermat's Little Theorem here (which you don't need to know at A-Level :p: ).
    Haha, I know, I was just trying to mess with Boy Wonder xD

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I know, I was just trying to mess with Boy Wonder xD
    You managed to mess with me in the process.

I can see this thread becoming prime procrastination material for my revision...

ReputationRep:
    You managed to mess with me in the process.

I can see this thread becoming prime procrastination material for my revision...
    I know, I was going to say the same. It's sad when you have to class doing 'other' maths as procrastination :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Problem 25**/***

1. Show that for any (potentially infinite) set A, there is no surjection f : A \to \mathcal{P}(A), where \mathcal{P}(A) is the powerset of A.
    2. Hence show there is no surjection from the the set A to set of functions A \to A if |A|>1.
    3. Determine the relationship between \mathbb{R} and \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{N}.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I know, I was going to say the same. It's sad when you have to class doing 'other' maths as procrastination :lol:
    If only I could understand groups by doing integrals, then I'd be on to something...

Out of interest, are questions on things like groups etc. suitable for this thread?

ReputationRep:
    If only I could understand groups by doing integrals, then I'd be on to something...

Out of interest, are questions on things like groups etc. suitable for this thread?
    If we're going to procrastinate, I don't see the harm in combining a bit of revision :lol:

ReputationRep:

It's fine as long as it's marked accordingly. If possible it would be good if everything could be defined so at a stretch anyone could have a go, but it's not a requirement.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 22, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.