Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just inherited a large sum of money so the world is my oyster this summer. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    What is the average ISA paying at the mo?

1.5% Wow :confused:

Even using our government's absolutely undercooked super-optimistically underestimated inflation rate means that the money in your ISA...or any savings account...is decreasing in real terms.

£6k? I guess it depends if you consider that a life changing amount that you absolutely simply must hang onto or not...but i'd just spend it wisely...

I'm probably going to get hate for this but:

In the seem of things how much is 5 grand, really? When i'm 28, out of university, hopefully doing something I love, probably earning about 30k a year working full-time. Will I pull that money out and think 'wow, i'm glad I saved it up, now, lets go put it towards my 150k mortgage' or 'Lets go traveling with my two-year-old daughter' or 'Maybe I should put it in her savings account so she's got a little nest egg for university when she's 18'. No, I'll think, I had all that time to do things I wanted, what I longed for but now £1,000 is going to towards the car because it failed its M.O.T and the curtains need replacing. Or maybe I'll use it to by a nice car to put on my middle-class-driveway?

No, that money is a huge amount for me. I'll use some of it to live off atm as I quit my job as I had glandular fever and now it's close to exams. I'll get my phone fixed and piano tuned. I'll treat my mum to a day out in London and maybe see a musical as i've never seen one before. Then in the summer, i'm going to go on an amazing adventure that i'll remember for the rest of my life and probably talk about til i'm 50.

I have this money because my dad died at the age of 56. He was careful with his money and healthy, i'm sure if he knew he was going to die he would of took me on an amazing holiday not been like 'he's your money for your wedding'. Life is too short. Why do the exact same things as our parents? Theirs a whole world out there!

/Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    That's amazing! I'm tempted on booking a flight to destination 'A' and another flight from destination 'B' and having to travel between the two taking life as it comes.

I've always had an urge to go to Sri Lanka since the boxing day tsunami. My friend only wants to travel for a month/6 weeks as she wants to be back for results day/some festivals she's already booked. Do you know how safe Sri lanka/India is for a lone female?
    I wouldn’t recommend it without a friend. Malaysia and Thailand would be better if you need to travel alone and have your heart set on Asia.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=HumanSupremacist;42140269]
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    I guess this has more to do with a wider sense of cultural appropriation. In other words, using your cash to fund the delusion that foreign cultures exist to massage your white, middle class fantasies of sophistication.[/QUOTE]

My God - I've never seen so much truth spoken in my life!! I shall rep you for eons to come!!

Your post doesn't only apply to cash and whatnot - it also applies to those silly "do-gooders" young people (students) who go to places like Africa mostly and Asia in order to massage their white, fairly middle class fantasies of sophistication. What's worse is that these very same young persons would be "liberals". Sometimes I do think that many "liberals" themselves are subconsciously prejudiced to the point of being lightly and tacitly racist.

Bravo, my dear, bravo! :top:
    I'm not naive to think that paying some company £2,000 for two weeks is going to benefit the elephants in the conservation.

What's so wrong in wanting to travel? It seems to be a crime on this forum to want to do different things. As I said it's not just like my dad was like 'Oh, here's £6K, go keep yourself busy this summer'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by playingcards)
    I wouldn’t recommend it without a friend. Malaysia and Thailand would be better if you need to travel alone and have your heart set on Asia.
    I think we're doing Malaysia/Thailand (that region) together. It's probably not a great idea, i'm sure I'll come up with something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)

I'm not naive to think that paying some company £2,000 for two weeks is going to benefit the elephants in the conservation.

What's so wrong in wanting to travel? It seems to be a crime on this forum to want to do different things. As I said it's not just like my dad was like 'Oh, here's £6K, go keep yourself busy this summer'.
    Oh, no, you misunderstand me, my dear. I was not specifically picking on you - I was agreeing with the above poster, but applied it to those young students who do their little "charity" works abroad - nothing to do with you. You just want to travel - good on you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by playingcards)
    +1 on that, sticking with Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam (in that part of the world) means you won't be able to move for all the other travellers to hang out with, and meeting other travellers is at least half the fun. The whole of Latin America has an excellent 'Gringo Trail' that makes travel there easy, Europe has the hostel/interrail scene. China/USA/Cad is based around hostels, without much of a well worn trail between them.

Travelling remote places alone is much tougher mentally as you're alone in your own head a lot and it's not like bad travel movies or holiday commercials where you're endlessly interacting with locals...you are not, and the 'local' thing is tough to find and be in, especially without the language. Other destinations (Nicaragua's Corn Islands, remote Indonesian islands, Sri Lanka etc) are well suited to couples...desolate and good for shaggin in beautiful places...but you're not going to meet people to travel with as easily.

ReputationRep:
    i did south east Asia for around 500 a month its exceptionally cheap to travel there! also i did it alone and never felt unsafe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea where to go. I've got around 3 months from my last exam to the start of university. I've been talking around travelling for the last year but just haven't had the funds.

I have no idea where to go- I've only ever been to France, Spain and North America. I love elephants more than anything in the world so going to see them in Thailand/Asia would be amazing. Has anyone worked in a conservation for three weeks without it being a rip off?

I'm not sure if I should go alone or with a good friend. I'm quite happy doing things on my own as i'm used to my own company. What parts of Africa are safe enough for two 18-year-old females?

How do you plan a trip around South/East Asia? So many questions and I have no idea where to start.

Any advice welcomed.
    OP, Take me with you!!! been dying to go travelling aha! wont be a nuisance at all but awesome company for sure I say brazil and cuba I'm sure we'll bump in to some elephants somewhere along the line! oh wait it just hit me Puerto Rico!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    +1 on that, sticking with Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam (in that part of the world) means you won't be able to move for all the other travellers to hang out with, and meeting other travellers is at least half the fun. The whole of Latin America has an excellent 'Gringo Trail' that makes travel there easy, Europe has the hostel/interrail scene. China/USA/Cad is based around hostels, without much of a well worm trail between them.

Travelling remote places alone is much tougher mentally as you're alone in your own head a lot and it's not like bad travel movies or holiday commercials where you're endlessly interacting with locals...you are not, and the 'local' thing is tough to find and be in, especially without the language. Other destinations (Nicaragua's Corn Islands, remote Indonesian islands, Sri Lanka etc) are well suited to couples...desolate and good for shaggin in beautiful places...but you're not going to meet people to travel with as easily.
    Very good advice! I think sticking to the beaten track (Thailand and original route). Maybe I should take everyones advice and save the money... that means in ten years from now I'll be able to afford to go to Sri Lanka on my hunny moon. I joke, a weekend at Butlins sounds like a plan (that's what every seems to be expecting).

I honestly have no idea why I've got negged so much for asking for advice. Thank you so much for giving proper advice and being on the same wave length as me

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't anyone read any of my posts of me explaining that i'm not middle class and if it's a fantasy what's wrong with it?

Most people my age get drunk, have guys on their mind and any money they have is spent in topshop.

I'm the kind of person who sits in, watches documentaries,gets emotional over the environment, boycotted Cadbury's because of palm oil.I'm madly in love with Elephants, I was in America last year and I had the opportunity to ride one at a state fayre but it looked sad and mistreated, so therefore against my morals.

I quite like foreign cultures, the type of culture that doesn't worry about money, gives you their last penny if you need it more, helps the elderly and educates their kids. I hate British society, why do I have to have a nice car to prove to other people that i'm not a failure or so that other parents won't frown at my future children. What's wrong in driving a rust bucket? My parents did for years, my mum has a little old rover that doesn't like motorways but you know, I don't care.
    Again, you're using the strawman fallacy. Nobody is insinuating that the only way to be content in life is to buy a "fancy car". What is being said is that you've been endowed with a large sum of money and have nothing better to do than think of the fastest way to piss it out of your bank account all in the name of "hanging out with some elephants".

This is why I can't take student protests about tuition fees seriously. Because you think aimlessly ambling around some dirt-poor country constitutes as "personal enrichment" whilst simultaneously expecting the British government to wipe your bum when things get tough.

Exactly, it's even worse. You inherited that money and the best investment you can think of is "how can I get the quickest thrill out of this dead person's cash". I do hope to dead God my kids aren't as brattish as you are.

ReputationRep:
    Again, you're using the strawman fallacy. Nobody is insinuating that the only way to be content in life is to buy a "fancy car". What is being said is that you've been endowed with a large sum of money and have nothing better to do than think of the fastest way to piss it out of your bank account all in the name of "hanging out with some elephants".

This is why I can't take student protests about tuition fees seriously. Because you think aimlessly ambling around some dirt-poor country constitutes as "personal enrichment" whilst simultaneously expecting the British government to wipe your bum when things get tough.

Exactly, it's even worse. You inherited that money and the best investment you can think of is "how can I get the quickest thrill out of this dead person's cash". I do hope to dead God my kids aren't as brattish as you are.
    Lets turn this around: What did you do last summer? What did you do five years ago? When was the last time you felt excited? What still makes you smile when you think about something?

If you was to die tomorrow what would the say about you?

I know what they would say about me "Annalise always lived life to the full, last year she spent the summer in NYC after saving up for 6 months. She always worked hard, she started work at 5:30 on Saturday mornings, she would cycle to work as she was passionate about the environment. She always looked for the adventure in life, she grabbed every opportunity with both hands. She gave her life to wanting to help the environment, volunteering within guiding and within school."

The amount of people i've met travelling is unreal- I've met some amazing people who will be good friends for life. I'm not a brat as I don't take anything for granted. I'm not scared about going back to my working-class roots but i'm scared I won't try anything new. What's wrong with that? I've grown up in a household that doesn't have the heating on in the winter, has mold on the walls, I received an Downton abbey book for christmas with a box of chocolates. I can cope on the bare minimum. So maybe i'll get over there and the dirt will get in my eyes, I'll hate the food, I won't meet anyone new as I only speak English but at least I tried.

My personal opinion- travelling is the best thing you can do. 'That dead persons' money' is my Dad, so i'm sure he'll be happy with what i'm doing. Because I could waste it all on weed/alcohol and rent out a bedsit and do nothing with my life like the majority of people around me.

Honestly, you think you're so much better than me with your 'middle-class conservative' views but you're not. If my aspirations is to go traveling your not going to stop me. I would love to see your scrap book...

ReputationRep:
    Lets turn this around: What did you do last summer? What did you do five years ago? When was the last time you felt excited? What still makes you smile when you think about something?

I know what they would say about me "Annalise always lived life to the full, last year she spent the summer in NYC after saving up for 6 months. She always worked hard, she started work at 5:30 on Saturday mornings, she would cycle to work as she was passionate about the environment. She always looked for the adventure in life, she grabbed every opportunity with both hands. She gave her life to wanting to help the environment, volunteering within guiding and within school."

The amount of people i've met travelling is unreal- I've met some amazing people who will be good friends for life. I'm not a brat as I don't take anything for granted. I'm not scared about going back to my working-class roots but i'm scared I won't try anything new. What's wrong with that? I've grown up in a household that doesn't have the heating on in the winter, has mold on the walls, I received an Downton abbey book for christmas with a box of chocolates. I can cope on the bare minimum. So maybe i'll get over there and the dirt will get in my eyes, I'll hate the food, I won't meet anyone new as I only speak English but at least I tried.

My personal opinion- travelling is the best thing you can do. 'That dead persons' money' is my Dad, so i'm sure he'll be happy with what i'm doing. Because I could waste it all on weed/alcohol and rent out a bedsit and do nothing with my life like the majority of people around me.

Honestly, you think you're so much better than me with your 'middle-class conservative' views but you're not. If my aspirations is to go traveling your not going to stop me. I would love to see your scrap book...
    Why do you have such a high opinion of yourself and such a low opinion of others? I too am working class and have had to put up with similar things to you, but just because some people think it's better to save up for a while and gain interest on it than just blowing it all in one go you're making out like everyone else has no morals/aspirations because they don't feel the same way and I'm sure that's not true.

You want to go travelling, that's great, but don't criticise those who make other suggestions/have other plans. It's up to you what you spend your money on, but don't go on forums asking for suggestions when you don't like responses that are different to your own thoughts, otherwise why are you even asking the question in the first place? I'm sorry for your loss but we're only trying to answer your question as honestly as possible.

ReputationRep:

I'm not sure, but I can certainly tell you that I didn't get my life philosophies from Disney.

Or rather "Yeah, she was that middle-class bint that got bored and pissed 6K up the wall after some guy died so she could pretend she was 'cultured'.

Do you seriously expect me to applaud you for receiving a book for Christmas? Oh boo hoo, you soldier, how did you survive? :rolleyes:

Again, I'd be inclined to support your ideals if you didn't seem every bit the middle-class, white brat with more cash than sense, that you are.

See, you can use your silly justification for anything. "Hay, I paid for a ridiculously lavish sweet sixteen party, I could be doing weed and coke so how DARE you criticise me".

I'm not a conservative and I don't need to advertise my "travelling credentials" because I'm a grown adult that makes calculated decisions after considering my options carefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    Why do you have such a high opinion of yourself and such a low opinion of others? I too am working class and have had to put up with similar things to you, but just because some people think it's better to save up for a while and gain interest on it than just blowing it all in one go you're making out like everyone else has no morals/aspirations because they don't feel the same way and I'm sure that's not true.

You want to go travelling, that's great, but don't criticise those who make other suggestions/have other plans. It's up to you what you spend your money on, but don't go on forums asking for suggestions when you don't like responses that are different to your own thoughts, otherwise why are you even asking the question in the first place? I'm sorry for your loss but we're only trying to answer your question as honestly as possible.
    I believe you didn't read my question

I asked for advice about going travelling, where to go/where to avoid and how to go about planning etc. I didn't ask for peoples' opinions on my life decisions. It's like you asking for mortgage help on a forum and I start saying 'Why do you want a mortgage, you're wasting your life, you could spend that money on a car or clothes'.

Blimely, I don't want an lecture on my life decisions.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you didn't read my question

I asked for advice about going travelling, where to go/where to avoid and how to go about planning etc. I didn't ask for peoples' opinions on my life decisions. It's like you asking for mortgage help on a forum and I start saying 'Why do you want a mortgage, you're wasting your life, you could spend that money on a car or clothes'.

Blimely, I don't want an lecture on my life decisions.
    By describing your situation you're opening yourself up to people suggesting alternatives. It's always a good idea to weigh up the pros and cons of viable options, I'm not saying you'll regret going travelling but you may regret spending the money so quickly and not having anything saved for the future if you go through a rough time financially. I'm not "lecturing" you on your life choices, and I think it's rather sad that you see people taking their time out on here giving you honest advice as lecturing. You've clearly made up your mind, go do some research on destinations.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, but I can certainly tell you that I didn't get my life philosophies from Disney.

What philosophies did I get from Disney? If my philosophies came from Disney I would be sitting around waiting for a man to rescue me from reality? Shrek: Fiona sitting around waiting for a prince. Once she does get out she gets married and has kids. Beauty and the Beast: Belle wanted more 'than this provential life' and ends up falling in love with a man who gave her a library and nice dresses.

No, I want to do my own thing and make my own memories.

Or rather "Yeah, she was that middle-class bint that got bored and pissed 6K up the wall after some guy died so she could pretend she was 'cultured'.

Maybe I am middle class for wanting different cultural experiences. I've had enough of chavs on the bus swearing about how bad this country is with all the foreigners. Who needs to go to China when you've got China town in London?

Do you seriously expect me to applaud you for receiving a book for Christmas? Oh boo hoo, you soldier, how did you survive? :rolleyes:

No, I don't get everything given on a silver platter. I'll probably never have this chance again.

Again, I'd be inclined to support your ideals if you didn't seem every bit the middle-class, white brat with more cash than sense, that you are.

See, you can use your silly justification for anything. "Hay, I paid for a ridiculously lavish sweet sixteen party, I could be doing weed and coke so how DARE you criticise me".

I feel for you, I really do. You sit on TSR on a travel forum bashing me for wanting to travel. Seriously, go get a life. Oh wait, is that too middle class for you?

I'm not a conservative and I don't need to advertise my "travelling credentials" because I'm a grown adult that makes calculated decisions after considering my options carefully.
    Grown adult that bashes a teenager. Wow, you must be living the high life. How's the package holiday to Benidorm for you?

ReputationRep:
    Grown adult that bashes a teenager. Wow, you must be living the high life. How's the package holiday to Benidorm for you?
    So you believe you deserve to be immune from any and all criticism, whilst claiming not to be an entitled, middle-class brat? How mature :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with Benidorm, you're really not helping your case as someone who struggles to heat the house and then bashes holiday destinations that people go to because they're cheap - you clearly hold a very high opinion of yourself and see yourself as very deserving and have a false sense of entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    Save up for a while and gain interest on it...
    Saving is also a valid undertaking, but, honestly, the level of financial education in this country is scary (not pointing a finger at you specifically) - a few people have mentioned ISAs now...

- You will get 1.5 - 3% interest
    - Inflation is officially about 3.3%
    - Inflation in reality is probably closer to 5%...probably more, due to crazy quantitative easing policies and fudged methodology
    - Your effective interest rate, in real terms, is probably -3%

What does that mean? Put £10k in now and it'll be worth £5k of today's pounds (spending power) in 21 years...

Save kids, but if you're saving to grow capital, no account in the UK will do that right now...don't kid yourselves you're in this for the interest...you're not...by not spending them, your savings are getting eroded daily

Solution? Should have listed to the Iron Lady a few decades ago and not spent what we didn't have as a country. realistic solution? Your guess is as good as mine, the boys running the joint have no clue either...SPEND they say!

ReputationRep:
    I guess this has more to do with a wider sense of cultural appropriation. In other words, using your cash to fund the delusion that foreign cultures exist to massage your white, middle class fantasies of sophistication.
    Is this your opinion on travel to different countries generally? Is there any way a person could visit a foreign country that would be acceptable to you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.