Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Horrible for my first four exams, but I have a full week between my second last and last exam

Wild guess that that will be one of my best marks. That's about as much as I have in total to learn each of my other exams.

(Original post by Tortious)
    Hold your horses - the latest from my Downing friend is that he spoke to his DoS and the timetable isn't finalised with respect to Law, since CSPS appears twice and apparently shouldn't.

(I fail to understand why you'd call it "MAIN-timetable-FINALv1" if it's not all been finalised! :facepalm2:)
    Juris also appears on different days for Part IB and Part II.

And affiliates are trying to protest EU and Crim on the same day.

My senior tutor said some changes will be made to the Law dates. You'd think after taking forever to send the timetable, they'd be a bit thorough.

(Original post by ratio)
    Juris also appears on different days for Part IB and Part II.

And affiliates are trying to protest EU and Crim on the same day.

My senior tutor said some changes will be made to the Law dates. You'd think after taking forever to send the timetable, they'd be a bit thorough.
    Rumour has it EU was moved because they realised if it was on 6 June they wouldn't have enough time to mark it. I'd have thought they'd have pencilled in the "core" ones first, but then I've never prepared an exam timetable.

I've only seen one "organised" affiliate campaign on Facebook, but it seems to have taken off.

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for training contracts in advance, so the firm pays all of your fees (usually)!

Some are particularly keen on scientists because it's easier to tell them what the law is than to educate lawyers about science. Bristows (intellectual property firm dealing with a lot of "science-y" stuff) is a case in point, although it's very competitive...
    Too late, I've gone too far into this US PhD thing already to withdraw.

That said, I might be able to do a "graduate minor" in Law, sort of like an American minor but for PhD students. It would be really weird though because a professor there would have to listen in on my eventual PhD defence, and you can bet it's not going to have anything he understands in it.

(Original post by ukdragon37)
    Too late, I've gone too far into this US PhD thing already to withdraw.

That said, I might be able to do a "graduate minor" in Law, sort of like an American minor but for PhD students. It would be really weird though because a professor there would have to listen in on my eventual PhD defence, and you can bet it's not going to have anything he understands in it.
    Oh, we're back on the topic of careers - that's a relief. I panicked briefly that as a CompSci you might've managed to read the posts that Timmona and I deleted somehow. :p:

Fair enough - entirely up to you! I wouldn't wish 2am reading on anyone though; our not-sure-if-finalised exam timetable has put me in a mild panic. ratio and I are checking in every hour to hold each other accountable.

*Guiltily shuffles off TSR* :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, we're back on the topic of careers - that's a relief. I panicked briefly that as a CompSci you might've managed to read the posts that Timmona and I deleted somehow. :p:
    *noses about in the post archive*

(Original post by Craghyrax)
    *noses about in the post archive*
    Curiosity satisfied?

It wasn't that interesting, but I tend to text people/use my phone rather than my ethernet connection to post that link - I just didn't have Timmona's number and couldn't be bothered (at 1am) to faff about on my phone...

ReputationRep:
    Curiosity satisfied?
    Yes, although I'm disappointed it wasn't juicy

ReputationRep:
    I came on to say something funny about the above secrecy, but it turns out that I can't read anything that's been said in this horrible new design.

ReputationRep:
    I find it slightly better than its precursor. Neither are great, though. Especially the orange.

ReputationRep:
    I can't deal with the tiny text. It's giving me a headache reading it. Guess it means I'll spend less time procrastinating by browsing on here though, so it's not all bad :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sockpirate)
    I can't deal with the tiny text. It's giving me a headache reading it. Guess it means I'll spend less time procrastinating by browsing on here though, so it's not all bad :p:
    Easily resolved with Ctrl +, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Easily resolved with Ctrl +, surely?
    No, it's the fact it's really narrow too - the letters are way closer together than they used to be ctrl+ does make it all bigger, but it's still not as comfortable to read because of the letter spacing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Eyesore.

But, as usual, we'll adjust.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's the fact it's really narrow too - the letters are way closer together than they used to be ctrl+ does make it all bigger, but it's still not as comfortable to read because of the letter spacing.
    Arial isn't nice in any context. It's too... sharp.

As ratio says, we'll probably get used to it, I just don't understand the motivation. The admins do not understand their target audience.

Anyway, enough ranting about fonts. Let's fret about tripos some more. :afraid:

ReputationRep:

As ratio says, we'll probably get used to it, I just don't understand the motivation. The admins do not understand their target audience.

Anyway, enough ranting about fonts. Let's fret about tripos some more. :afraid:
    :laugh:
    I'm more worried about the fact that my techniques project (assessed) has just started - I'm doing a computer modelling one, and found out today that my simulation is going to take 4 hours to run. I've got to run it 60 times, can only use the department computers, and am only allowed to use a maximum of 2/3 computers to run things at once so my group doesn't monopolise the computer room. I don't have access to the department out of hours currently, have lectures every morning, and am meant to be rowing every afternoon. When am I meant to run all these simulations?! Aaaahhhh!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the font, but I agree its harder to read. Its the designer that doesn't understand. Can't believe a professional can get it so wrong, but there you go.

Re the new design: not keen. I remain hopeful that Vulpes will create a new set of Tampermonkey scripts to remedy some of these problems.

One I've got installed (which is still working!) changes the words blanked out by the swear filter to the names of animals. This is leading to some amusing posts in the feedback thread, such as "it's hareing mole mate".

(I once got lucky and, when someone described something as "BS", this was changed to "bullfrog". :lol:)

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:
    I'm more worried about the fact that my techniques project (assessed) has just started - I'm doing a computer modelling one, and found out today that my simulation is going to take 4 hours to run. I've got to run it 60 times, can only use the department computers, and am only allowed to use a maximum of 2/3 computers to run things at once so my group doesn't monopolise the computer room. I don't have access to the department out of hours currently, have lectures every morning, and am meant to be rowing every afternoon. When am I meant to run all these simulations?! Aaaahhhh!
    Wow, every day? I couldn't handle the pressure in exam term. Can you ask for out of hours access? Explain your situation?

In other news, I've got nothing done today, so I just drank four cups of coffee. It's going to be a fun night.

edit: I was right! It was a fun night!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Rumour has it EU was moved because they realised if it was on 6 June they wouldn't have enough time to mark it. I'd have thought they'd have pencilled in the "core" ones first, but then I've never prepared an exam timetable.

I've only seen one "organised" affiliate campaign on Facebook, but it seems to have taken off.
    My source in the Law faculty (and as you know I only have one source in the Law faculty...) reckons that exam placement is all down to power dynamics. I need to check mine, because my Macro exam is apparently being held in two separate locations at the same time according to Camsis and the Faculty website. Not sure how I'm going to manage that one, although I guess a scavenger hunt exam with two halves of the paper posted at two different locations could be quite fun, right?

(Original post by ratio)
    Eyesore.

But, as usual, we'll adjust.
    I can only assume the developers think that Facebook is successful because they annoy people with design changes, not in spite of it.

We need a classy font edition of TSR. Preferably with gin. Hold the tonic...

ReputationRep:
    I can no longer fool myself into thinking it's not yet exam term

(On the plus side, Tim Minchin was epic )

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.