Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone really like Shakespeare? And if so, which is your favourite? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I really like King Lear, but I've always thought one of the greatest pieces of writing ever is Caliban's speech in the Tempest:

Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears; and sometime voices
    That, if I then had waked after long sleep,
    Will make me sleep again; and then in dreaming,
    The clouds methought would open, and show riches
    Ready to drop upon me, that when I waked
    I cried to dream again.

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE Shakespeare! I dont know but it has always been easy and amusing for me to read plays and Shakespeare is simply the best. His use of language...stunning. I think my favourite is the Merchant of Venice.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite is probably The Merchant of Venice, but I really like Much Ado About Nothing as well.

ReputationRep:
    I love studying Shakespeare, my fav is a midsummer nights dream.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love Shakespeare!

My favourite play is Much Ado About Nothing and As You Like It

ReputationRep:
    only Henry V

"But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; "

love it

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed Othello, Romeo & Juliet and laughed out loud while reading the Taming of the Shrew. Although it is a bit tricky to get around his writing I do enjoy it because it presents a challenge, and when you get past it and manage to understand his work it is fairly enjoyable. I'm a bit of a Shakespeare noob seeing as I haven't read most his major and well known plays, something I will get round to however.

ReputationRep:
    Nope ( have some least favourites though )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I actually enjoy Shakespeare, though I don't think it's handled very well in schools (at least in my experience). I had a teacher for half of the AS year who admitted she hated Shakespeare, and it really showed in her teaching, which was a shame! I like reading his plays at home, my favourite's probably the Tempest and I like Julius Caesar too, I went to see the Paterson Joseph version last year, it was just, wow!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone read 'Coriolanus'? It is just amazing!

ReputationRep:
    I love Shakespeare, my favourite play is probably Macbeth, I think Lady Macbeth is an amazing character and this speech is one of my favourite Shakespeare speeches:

'Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
    To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing.'

I know it's cliched of me to point to this speech but it's so chilling and so true, and so perfectly expressed! In fact it's probably my favourite speech in all of literature to be honest. Well, all the literature I've read which isn't a large amount

ReputationRep:
    Othello is my favourite piece of work from Shakespeare T I've got mad love for the villain, Lago, and his soliloquies !

ReputationRep:
    Shakespeare, in my opinion - not shaped by external views - is one of the greatest literary figures in history. I judge this on his way of expressing the deepest wells to every aspect of humanity. Romeo and Juliet is an over-rated play however. But it should not sway you to detest everything else, he really is spectacular.

I think the problem is, is this stigma about Shakespeare being obscure and difficult.I completely disagree. I think people just need to read it at face value and be a little tolerant and understand one of the best aspects of Shakespeare is his expression which impacts beyond generations, and is relevant to every one of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kgooding)
    So, wanting to be a literature student, I've had to read Shakespeare, and write about Shakespeare, and learn about him, pretend to like some of his things, analyse them to the point of breakdown and basically know everything there is to know about certain works.
    Now I love The Taming of the Shrew. I also love the film with Elizabeth Taylor but that's not the point.
    I hate, as in absolutely detest, Romeo and Juliet. The films are OK but the written play, I hate it. I also don't really like A Midsummer's Night Dream, but remember this is only my opinion.
    So, as the title says, do you like Shakespeare? And if so, what do you like? His sonnets, his plays, what?
    I like the sonnets and somehow still love Hamlet despite having written a 10,000 word essay on it. (Gotta love dissertations.) I cant say I like a lot of his plays and despite it being my favourite of Shakespeare's plays, Kenneth Branagh's full text Hamlet was very hard going. I don't like Romeo and Juliet, I like some of the words but the story is dreadful, I don't like a Midsummer nights dream either or Henry V. As You Like It is alright as are Twelfth Night and Macbeth, but I can understand why a lot of people don't like Shakespeare purely for having it drilled into them at school. Hamlet will always be my favourite.

ReputationRep:
    LOVE Shakespeare- wanting to be a Lit undergrad! Taming of the Shrew is a beauty but nothing will ever top Hamlet for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJC94)
    LOVE Shakespeare- wanting to be a Lit undergrad! Taming of the Shrew is a beauty but nothing will ever top Hamlet for me
    I want to be a Lit undergrad as well! My only real issue with Shakespeare is Romeo and Juliet. I really don't like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadpan)
    Nope ( have some least favourites though )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Go on, what are your least favourites?

ReputationRep:
    So, wanting to be a literature student, I've had to read Shakespeare, and write about Shakespeare, and learn about him, pretend to like some of his things, analyse them to the point of breakdown and basically know everything there is to know about certain works.
    Now I love The Taming of the Shrew. I also love the film with Elizabeth Taylor but that's not the point.
    I hate, as in absolutely detest, Romeo and Juliet. The films are OK but the written play, I hate it. I also don't really like A Midsummer's Night Dream, but remember this is only my opinion.
    So, as the title says, do you like Shakespeare? And if so, what do you like? His sonnets, his plays, what?
    I was surprised at how much I'm enjoying analysing The Tempest - saw it at the globe a few days ago and it was superb. Love As You Like It, Much Ado About Nothing and Midsummer, the latter if only for the meta aspect like Tempest. Macbeth and Hamlet are good too but I feel like I most resonate with Shakespeare's comedies rather than his tragedies.

ReputationRep:
    Go on, what are your least favourites?
    Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, King Lear
    aka all of the Shakespeare I have ever been forced to read except for Macbeth, I hated it but my lit teacher was entertaining.

ReputationRep:
    I love Shakespeare's sonnets. Sonnet 116 anyone??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.