Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Ready for tonight? The one night when all Porto fans back Sporting! If Benfica do win i say the league is most certainly yours though.

As for last night it was nice to see Jackson score two after going a few games without and nice for Fernando to get the other. I see it looks like it'll be the end of Helton come the end of the season and now Fernando has said he wants to leave to a more established league in order to get a cap for Brazil.

Paços are guaranteed a top four finish which is great for them to be in Europe next season, hopefully they can remain in the third spot though.

Madeira derby is currently underway too and hopefully Maritimo can build a bit of a gap from 5th-10th as nothing is really between them all at the moment.

EDIT: Well, that's one result with Maritimo losing not going my way today...

EDIT Again: I'm accepting defeat, you won't drop four points now. Although we could only draw against Maritimo, Benfica have had that extra something over us this year and i don't see you guys dropping points. Overall you lot have deserved it, we've put in more than a few performances this year where we have looked pretty average and just edged the win or not even that in some games. Although we could go the whole season without losing and we still won't win the league is a bit of a kick in the teeth, Benfica deserve the league more than us.

Also, as much as i dislike Matic, i absolutely cannot fault him this season. That guy has been great and he put in another great performance tonight. Good luck holding onto him.

As for Porto, a season where we have won nothing. Disappointing really and i think it'll be a disappointing summer where we will lose a few of our key players. And although we have won nothing this season, i have a feeling PCD will not get rid of VP.
    That was such a lucky win! Sporting were all over us for long periods of the game and should have had at least one penalty really early on. I couldn't believe how badly we were playing in the first 10-20 minutes. Our first goal came against the run of play and then our second was just a moment of absolute brilliance by Gaitan... those two moments settled the match.

Next two matches are the most important ones of the season now.. Turkey and then straight after that we go to Madeira. It's gonna be tough and you could tell in todays match that the players are really tired, JJ has gone back to using the same players over and over again and it is taking its toll on some of them... Enzo and Salvio are not as good as they can be..

I think we need to beat Maritimo in order for me to finally believe we're gonna win it because it's not over just yet..

Yeh, I don't think Matic will be with us next season.. or Garay.. maybe even Gaitan or a couple of other players.. even Jorge Jesus might leave! Even though he annoys me sometimes, he would be really tough to replace..

I don't know about VP staying on next season.. if Porto don't win the title, I doubt PdC will offer an extention, and there are a couple of really interesting young managers around at the moment, like the dude who manages Pacos de Ferreira (great that they've guaranteed European football for next season! They'll be losing some of their key players though, like Josue most likely)..

I saw Porto's match yesterday.. Jackson is back in the goals now, which is kinda annoying because it gives him just enough time to recuperate his confidence for the Benfica match a few weeks from now >_<

EDIT: Can't get enough of that second goal.. everything is so perfect, first touch football with great skill to start it all up..

ReputationRep:

:jester:

ReputationRep:
    Any MLS fans here?

ReputationRep:
    Götze has signed for Bayern.

€37m release clause activated.

ReputationRep:
    Holy damn that's some coop. Bayern already started their spree ehhh. Poor Dortmund gonna lose Lewandowski as well. One must think Hummels will follow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bye bye dortmund. Won't be at the top for too long. Guessing that means that robben is off then. The german arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if that means one of Ribery or Robben is going to be moving. With Muller, Robben, Ribery, Kroos, and Shaqiri. I can't see how they are going to fit Gotze in that line of forwards without somebody moving on.

Dortmund weren't ever going to stay at the top, but as they showed with Kagawa and Reus, selling isn't such an issue if they have a replacement lined up. They are probably going to keep Sahin, and I don't think Lewandowski will be moving so, if they can find a Gotze replacement for circa £20m then they will still be looking good.

ReputationRep:
    Robben and Gomez are gone, you'd think. Neither of them fit into the type of football Pep likes.

Anyway, it's a shame for the Bundesliga.

ReputationRep:
    That Bayern squad is looking ridiculously good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I wonder if that means one of Ribery or Robben is going to be moving. With Muller, Robben, Ribery, Kroos, and Shaqiri. I can't see how they are going to fit Gotze in that line of forwards without somebody moving on.

Dortmund weren't ever going to stay at the top, but as they showed with Kagawa and Reus, selling isn't such an issue if they have a replacement lined up. They are probably going to keep Sahin, and I don't think Lewandowski will be moving so, if they can find a Gotze replacement for circa £20m then they will still be looking good.
    Guardiola probably has ideas about using Gotze in the false 9 role. That's not to say one of Ribery/Robben won't be moving but i think it's definitely goodbye for Mario Gomez. I think Ribery is more of a Guardiola player, so i can see him staying. Muller would be sort of like his Pedro at Barcelona. Very direct and scores goals.

ReputationRep:
    Wonder if that is a Bayern signing or a Guardiola signing? I presume the latter.

Wonder if Bayern will splash out on any more big signings this summer? I can't see an obvious weakness in the side and there's so much quality and depth.

I wonder if Klopp will stay at Dortmund? Obviously the sale of Gotze was out of his and the club's hand since the release clause was activated but it's looking more and more likely that Dortmund will struggle to compete against Bayern.

Klopp has already said very clearly that he will stay at Dortmund next year but when you know you can't/will struggle to compete domestically for the forseeable future frankly - do you move on to a new challenge? Dortmund probably peaked with winning two league titles - all I can see is Bayern winning the next 2 - 5 league titles..

ReputationRep:
    Guardiola is going to be walking into a side that doesn't need any real improvement what a lucky guy! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Guardiola is going to be walking into a side that doesn't need any real improvement what a lucky guy! :laugh:
    It's interesting how Guardiola's appointment has bought into focus how good the Bayern squad actually is. I know they're doing amazing in the league and Europe but when the appointment happened, everyone I spoke to were like "Really?" but now everyone has realised he'll be in a great position to win plenty of trophies.

Mourinho must be kicking himself.. winning a CL with Madrid this season and then moving to Bayern would've been perfect for his CV building!

ReputationRep:
    Dortmund will probably be looking to cementing that second german team spot over the next few years and with some consistent performances in Europe to push themselves into become a real European power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    It's interesting how Guardiola's appointment has bought into focus how good the Bayern squad actually is. I know they're doing amazing in the league and Europe but when the appointment happened, everyone I spoke to were like "Really?" but now everyone has realised he'll be in a great position to win plenty of trophies.

Mourinho must be kicking himself.. winning a CL with Madrid this season and then moving to Bayern would've been perfect for his CV building!
    Would have been quite the catch haha! Chelsea to Inter to Real to Bayern

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    Robben and Gomez are gone, you'd think. Neither of them fit into the type of football Pep likes.

Anyway, it's a shame for the Bundesliga.
    This. Bayern Munich have historically always bought away the best players from other Bundesliga clubs in order to win the title.

Swine. This is why everyone who doesn't support them, hates them in Germany.

The buy doesn't even make sense. Already Shaqiri was a waste, he hardly played at all and now Götze on top. He is most likely supposed to replace Kroos in attacking midfield which will make him unhappy and it sucks for the national team if one of them isn't playing regularly.

I don't think this is reason for Robben to leave, Robben and Müller will continue to fight for a starting place on the right wing. Ribery is left wing ahead of Shaqiri. And Schweinsteiger/Martinez DM and Götze/Kroos AM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax;42342602[B)
    ]Wonder if that is a Bayern signing or a Guardiola signing? I presume the latter.[/B]

Wonder if Bayern will splash out on any more big signings this summer? I can't see an obvious weakness in the side and there's so much quality and depth.

I wonder if Klopp will stay at Dortmund? Obviously the sale of Gotze was out of his and the club's hand since the release clause was activated but it's looking more and more likely that Dortmund will struggle to compete against Bayern.

Klopp has already said very clearly that he will stay at Dortmund next year but when you know you can't/will struggle to compete domestically for the forseeable future frankly - do you move on to a new challenge? Dortmund probably peaked with winning two league titles - all I can see is Bayern winning the next 2 - 5 league titles..
    Bayern signing. Typical of them to buy off any competition in the domestic league.

ReputationRep:
    What I find most astounding is that BvB had a £30m release clause in Gotze's contract. For someone of his age and ability... that's just suicidal. And to have this announced on the day of such a huge game for BvB... It's just crazy.

(Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I don't think Lewandowski will be moving
    Considering Lew is in the final year of his contract now, and he and his agent have shown no indications of wanting to stay at BvB, I would be very surprised if he didn't move.

De Bruyne, Dzeko and Isco are all linked to BvB, so they could fix themselves up, sure. But this is a big blow to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    What I find most astounding is that BvB had a £30m release clause in Gotze's contract. For someone of his age and ability... that's just suicidal. And to have this announced on the day of such a huge game for BvB... It's just crazy.

Considering Lew is in the final year of his contract now, and he and his agent have shown no indications of wanting to stay at BvB, I would be very surprised if he didn't move.

De Bruyne, Dzeko and Isco are all linked to BvB, so they could fix themselves up, sure. But this is a big blow to them.
    Gotze is only 20 - he signed a new contract last March which had a 37mil euro release clause - it makes him the most expensive German player. Who knows if the player insisted or if the club thought it was sufficiently high to deter bids?

Tbfh, 37mil euros will go a long way for Dortmund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)

It's all these sports managers.

They don't make money if a player stays at a club 15 years. They make money from sales, so they put clauses like this into players contracts.

Sports managers are the cancer of the game.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.