Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maggie Thatcher - The worst PM in UK's history and an economic failure Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'ancien régime)
    She wasn't the worst PM.

What about William Pitt the Younger? (Ignore the fact that I'm French)
    We tend to value William Pitt as PM. How is he portrayed in France? Interesting.

And what about George III?

So is Thatcher 2nd worst then? What is the French opinion on Thatcher?

I'm 1/4 French by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hostile*****)
    What a horrible witch. I hope Sweden never ever has such a Prime Minister.
    Haha that's a bold statement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    Fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    It was a good feature of him ( his resolve) as it would be in anyone. Ideologically Hitler was absolutely vile. Resolve is a good characteristic you don't change that by changing who you apply it to.
    You call it resolve, I call it horribly ruthless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    Someone get this lad an education!
    I'm privately educated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher was the greatest this prime minister this country has ever had. Churchill was only great because he had Hitler to oppose, Thatcher was great all on her own.
    Love seeing the demonstrations on the streets, confirms my view of what type of scum the left really is.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with everything that Thatcher said or did, but she came into power at a really rough time, in fact the UK back then was in a similar economic position to Cyprus now. There needed to be drastic changes and Britain needed a prime minister willing to step up and bring in those changes. There had been too many PMs bent on pleasing the public, when that is not what is best for the economy. Someone had to stand up and take the hit and the blame for problems that other people had caused in the past. Still, as I said, I think she could have gone about it in a better way.

All criticisms aside, she was a sick old lady who has recently passed away. If you aren't going to pay your respects then leave it alone. Otherwise you are just as despicable as the lady you portray her to be. She may not deserve anyone's love, but she does deserve a little respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbmann)
    Thatcher was the greatest this prime minister this country has ever had. Churchill was only great because he had Hitler to oppose, Thatcher was great all on her own.
    Love seeing the demonstrations on the streets, confirms my view of what type of scum the left really is.
    So true

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbmann)
    Do you mean the working class? We're the real wealth creators you have been robbed of respect, pride and dignity under the premiership of Thatcher. I'm not going to support street demonstrations upon her death necessarily, but for a second I won't stop remembering what a social regress her government was.

As for Churchill, he was very progressive and if he was to choose between Kinnock and Thatcher he would simply side with Kinnock. He was a good PM but the credit for WWII goes to the two superpowers and the UK would be eaten alive if 80% of Wermacht that fought on the Eastern front began a total war assault on the UK and Churchill's command wouldn't really help much. That's not to say that Stalin was a great commander because the reality is he sucked at warfare, but the Red Army generals such as Zhukov were of the greatest ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjie)
    I'm privately educated which is probably better than you. I reported u for being disrespectful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pathetic :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArmyGeneral)
    Do you mean the working class? We're the real wealth creators you have been robbed of respect, pride and dignity under the premiership of Thatcher. I'm not going to support street demonstrations upon her death necessarily, but for a second I won't stop remembering what a social regress her government was.

As for Churchill, he was very progressive and if he was to choose between Kinnock and Thatcher he would simply side with Kinnock. He was a good PM but the credit for WWII goes to the two superpowers and the UK would be eaten alive if 80% of Wermacht that fought on the Eastern front began a total war assault on the UK and Churchill's command wouldn't really help much. That's not to say that Stalin was a great commander because the reality is he sucked at warfare, but the Red Army generals such as Zhukov were of the greatest ability.
    You forget that it was the working class who voted her in, and kept doing so, most likely because they saw that the unions were the ones stopping the working class from working.

She would never have gotten into power if it wasn't for the working class voting her in every time.

You might well feel justifiable resentment at a boss who tells you that you are being made redundant because your job is no longer available, but that is economic reality.

Your boss didn't make your job uneconomical, indeed he almost certainly made efforts to make that part of the business profitable, maybe even subsidising it for a time, before he made the decision to close it, for the benefit of all the other employees, and stop pouring good money after bad.

Indeed precisely as Labour had been doing with these self same industries you blame Thatcher for destroying.

The problem was that Stalin kept shooting his best commanders...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    Somebody clearly hasn't heard of Gordon Brown!

Our elders who experienced her first hand clearly disagree with you... http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-...han-churchill/
    Gordon Brown was amongst the greatest PMs ever and an economic genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannabeEconomist)
    Top marks for trolling...

OP you're wrong in every way. Tony Blair or Gordon Brown tie for one of the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannabeEconomist)
    'No more boom or bust.'
    Some genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Was number 1 not inevitable. Just basic economics is it not?
    Personally this is better way of critiquing her time in office - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22070491
    I am referring to industry prevalent in the time of Thatcher. Example of a common misconception : People give Germany as an example, Germany does not have a booming coal mining industry, thus it cannot be given as an example for why we should of continued to subsidize the coal mining industry.

Point: The industry we see in western Europe today ( mainly Germany ) is radically different to that present in Britain in the 1980's. Germany also did not have such strong union power, something which without altogether and with a different tact coming from number 10. could of led to strong manufacturing of goods such as expensive cars/high tech up market electronics. Heavy industry such as coal and steel was undeniably unsustainable and the rapid rapid growth of those industry's in competing economy's such as China that we have witnessed merely re-iterates the point, it is basic price competition. - Also developing economy's wouldn't take kindly to 18th/19th century protectionist economic strategy being pursued by Westminster, it is also IMO morally abhorrent.
    Just for a clarification: Germany had a tremendously strong union power and still has today, even more so than Scandinavia, being the primarily reason for our consistently high real wages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    Go Glenda!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    'No more boom or bust.'
    Some genius.
    Haha you may be laughing but did you know that the greatest intellectuals at the time actually thought we permanently escaped the boom-bust circus forever and ever? Seems ridiculous now I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArmyGeneral)

Oh please. Please don't assume that all working class are trades Union members. She hammered the trades Unions and gave the working class a lift up.

I for one am happy that there's no longer the social pressure to work down the mine, ship yard, steel mill etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hermann Göring)
    The so-called Iron Lady cannot be recognized as racially pure with her Bedouin tribe!
    OMG I hope you're not German. :banghead:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.