Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls who cross the road to avoid parked cars! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    Didn't mean for this to sound posh/stuck up.
    I don't come from there, I just go to a posh uni and have a massive student loan
    Haha I was only kidding. love london though - yeah I managed to get quite a more than modest student loan during my initial studies too.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you on most points also I know it does sound unlikely and I should have mentioned "at night".

I think it depends of the person. I will admit that I attract the wrong attention because I smile at everyone (northern habit). So maybe it's just me.

Also I possibly judge the men too harshly because when I say "something seedy" it's normally just hello.
    Some guys are so stupid that they think you smiling at them means you want the D :lol:
    Then when you're not receptive, they're all like "get in the car now".

People eh? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they were crossing the road to get closer to their destination.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't mean for this to sound posh/stuck up.
    I don't come from there, I just go to a posh uni and have a massive student loan
    Think student grant (i never have to pay back, about £2000 every semester) plus my student loan I get as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Some guys are so stupid that they think you smiling at them means you want the D :lol:
    Then when you're not receptive, they're all like "get in the car now".

People eh? :rolleyes:
    Yeah, I need to learn to stop smiling at random men!

Where I live it's impolite not to smile at people in the street but it seems that in the city smiling at people means you want to have sex with them :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of women being dragged into cars very quickly. The car stops, a door opens you are inside in seconds. Girls are taught to be cautious and think of their safety. It isn't unwarranted. Near where my parents live some men recently tried to drag a girl into their car. On another occasion a creep has climbed into the back of a woman's car when she left it unlocked at the petrol station. These are things which have happened in broad daylight in the past year or so. And I live in a "worse" area than my parents.

To add: when cars stop right next to me, about 50% of the time I am harassed.

OP you're being ridiculous. If I cross the road I do it because I think of my mother's broken heart if I get murdered or raped! It might be more emotional than rational, but it has nothing to do with you.

EDIT: A car once pulled up next to one of my (female) flatmates. She walked briskly past, he got out of his car, followed her down the road calling after her, and slightly groped/restrained her! She was terrified for weeks. That was about a year ago. She certainly doesn't let cars pull up anywhere near to her any more.

ReputationRep:
    I'd cross the road even if it was a blinking family carrier with "baby on board" in the goddam window, I don't particularly care for the feelings of the driver, i also dont care if they're black, White, yellow, alien or human, being alive is far more important to me.

if an area is low crime it doesn't mean a messed up bloke (or woman) criminal is gonna be like "oh **** man we can't kidnap here its low crime! Best shimmy on down a few neighbourhoods to the dodgy part of town before we snag someone..."

P.s stuff like this happens every few months fairly near to me, hence the hardened opinion.

Learn that it's not personal, it's the fault of all the whacked psychos hurting people and the desire to remain alive.

I even do the "fake phonecall" if I'm alone and someone is walking towards me and I know I'm not the only one..

If a crime happened involving someone being stolen from the pavement by a passing car late at night, you'd be all "we'll at least she had enough confidence to stay on the same side of the road"???

ReputationRep:
    I would only do it if it was some kind of very quiet, deserted area. To be honest, I don't think I'd be paying enough attention to the car to see your race, I'd probably just think parked car, move away from it. Plus, I've never had an Asian open the window and chat to me lol, and wouldn't say seeing an Asian man makes me feel any more intimidated than any other race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    They can take safety however they wish, they choose to have sex with the guys they take home (if indeed they do, you CANNOT tell that by looking at them and if you want them to stop judging you without knowing you maybe you should consider doing the same!) they do not choose to be dragged into a car and raped and which cars have the bad people in them.

You wouldnt cross the road? Thats fine, you are a guy, you havent been brought up to think of the possibility someone may try to rape you, may try to drag you into it. Girls are taught differently, taught to try to avoid it in the first place rather than be the big man who refuses to show fear and by doing so is more likely to get into a nasty situation.

Let others who think differently to you just get on with what makes them happy, it isnt really doing you any harm is it?

A girl shouldnt have to feel unsafe because youre getting unnecessarily upset over someone crossing the road.
    Perhaps it does seem silly, but I'm always suspicious of any cars which pull up to the pavement/park near where I'm walking during the day or night (unless I'm in a car park of course). There were a few incidents when I was in high school of a car pulling up and the people within trying to drag in girls from my school. I've been wary ever since, and it's not as if my being wary negatively impacts me.

(Original post by Pigling)
    I have heard of women being dragged into cars very quickly. The car stops, a door opens you are inside in seconds. Girls are taught to be cautious and think of their safety. It isn't unwarranted. Near where my parents live some men recently tried to drag a girl into their car. On another occasion a creep has climbed into the back of a woman's car when she left it unlocked at the petrol station. These are things which have happened in broad daylight in the past year or so. And I live in a "worse" area than my parents.

To add: when cars stop right next to me, about 50% of the time I am harassed.

OP you're being ridiculous. If I cross the road I do it because I think of my mother's broken heart if I get murdered or raped! It might be more emotional than rational, but it has nothing to do with you.

EDIT: A car once pulled up next to one of my (female) flatmates. She walked briskly past, he got out of his car, followed her down the road calling after her, and slightly groped/restrained her! She was terrified for weeks. That was about a year ago. She certainly doesn't let cars pull up anywhere near to her any more.
    Ok guys fair enough. I wasn't aware that this was such a problem. Almost feel we are living in south African prisons if this this thread is anything to go by.

I did ask my gf and apart from one incidence where a cabbie followed her, she hasn't had any parked cars waiting in ambush :eek:

She saw the funny side and she is quite conscious of dangers

Like I said the area is mainly full of people who have one foot in the grave and the roads are all generally well lit with regular police patrols even late at night.

ReputationRep:
    That's not the only thing that can happen though is it? If a cars stops next to you at night you could potentially be robbed or beaten up as well. That's why as a guy I'd be just as wary as any other girl.

Any guy that thinks "yeah I'm a guy so I can walk past a bunch of gangsters in hoodies in a quiet street in the middle of the night without any fear" is a frickin' moron.
    Completely agree with you

Trying to be the big man with no fear in situations where you clearly need to be wary whoever you are, is just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    You watch too many action movies. Everyone knows martial arts don't help in real life. :rofl:
    Sorry i have to disagree

It taught me to be more aware of people and where they are, safety and stuff.

Getting out of wrist locks has helped me in clubs when two guys tried to hold me down by the wrists to keep me dancing.

And dodging shuriken and swords, probably helped me avoid the brick that got hurled at me and my ex partner from a particularly nasty chav

None of the flashy stuff helps i imagine, but the little stuff does.

ReputationRep:
    can they tell your skin colour if you're in the car when you park and it's late?

Smell curry ?

ReputationRep:
    Isnt that what guys on here nag us to do all the time? Look after ourselves? Then you get pissed off at the girls who do try and look after themselves? Decide what you ****ing want the lot of you.
    To be fair, girls on here are always talking about exercising your right to walk down the street at night without having to worry about XYZ and you pretty much all admit to not doing it, haha (not sure if it's already been brought up as haven't read the whole thread).

In any case, letting what people on TSR say have any impact on what you do in real life is pretty tragic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    To be fair, girls on here are always talking about exercising your right to walk down the street at night without having to worry about XYZ and you pretty much all admit to not doing it, haha (not sure if it's already been brought up as haven't read the whole thread).

In any case, letting what people on TSR say have any impact on what you do in real life is pretty tragic.

I excercise my right to walk down the street at night, however i also exercise my right to cross the road if i feel there is a threat and something i should avoid.

Also i havent changed my behaviour because of anyone on tsr, but the guys who moan at girls for looking after themselves and moan that girls dont look after themselves are bloody idiots, and it is incredibly annoying to have to read people's posts with these attitudes a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So no it's just not me. I also am a high achiever and in my final year and don't dress/act in a threatening manner.

In real life I have many female friends of all races. In fact my gf is white. I just don't get it.
    How will a girl know these things about you just by looking at you though? She doesnt know if you're about to drag her off the street and better to be safe than sorry,

Also its not because you're aisan, its because you're a guy, and even in a place with 'low crime rate' you never know.

ReputationRep:
    Because these are usually the type of guys that do it

Name:  tumblr_m2r7w4nGSQ1rqy5lyo1_500.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  37.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    I excercise my right to walk down the street at night, however i also exercise my right to cross the road if i feel there is a threat and something i should avoid.

Also i havent changed my behaviour because of anyone on tsr, but the guys who moan at girls for looking after themselves and moan that girls dont look after themselves are bloody idiots, and it is incredibly annoying to have to read people's posts with these attitudes a lot.
    But do you walk the streets at night without worrying about the things that might happen to you? Which is what a lot of girls argue for. Evidently not if you avoid parked cars.

Chances are the people who are saying you should look after yourself and the people that are on this thread criticising you aren't the same people. Or maybe they just don't see that crossing the road would really be that effective a way to look after yourself. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    But do you walk the streets at night without worrying about the things that might happen to you? Which is what a lot of girls argue for. Evidently not if you avoid parked cars.

Chances are the people who are saying you should look after yourself and the people that are on this thread criticising you aren't the same people. Or maybe they just don't see that crossing the road would really be that effective a way to look after yourself. Meh.
    No guys say to look after ourselves we should pretty much not go out in the dark alone at all. We argue that fear shouldnt stop us doing something but we there is no harm making it safer if possible.

Ie. I wouldnt not go clubbing and drinking because its supposed to be dangerous but i would go with friends to make it safer.

Also OP is one such person - saying its unsafe to take someone home to sleep with, but how dare we even consider keeping our distance from someone we havent even talked to in a parked car late at night.

ReputationRep:
    Also OP is one such person - saying its unsafe to take someone home to sleep with, but how dare we even consider keeping our distance from someone we havent even talked to in a parked car late at night.
    I don't agree with the OP complaining about girls (or anyone really) being careful when a car pulls up near them at night, but I think you've missed his point there - he's saying why be careful in the street, but not be careful about who you take home having possibly not even spoken to them because it was so loud in the club.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.