Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Found it and updated the OP, thanks and rep for the find :five:

Anyone else feeling a distinct sense of pride at our islands involvement in politics? Policies and Personality aside, Maggy always did have a way with getting people involved
    And getting people to vote with their wallets, there's nothing more she would have liked.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    And getting people to vote with their wallets, there's nothing more she would have liked.

So true, she'd have loved all this :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Btw has anyone watched this is England or the tv series. The starting credits have some real life footage of life during the thatcher era including the fawklands war

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So true, she'd have loved all this :lol:
    She was incredibly fond of Jimmy Saville too.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's terrible that the BBC AREN'T playing it. The BBC are supposed to be impartial and by refusing to play it they place themselves on one side of the debate.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    We were all taken in by Saville :sad:

ReputationRep:
    We were all taken in by Saville :sad:
    Yes, bit of a difference though when you're PM and you are routinely shown the MI5 and police reports on people you intend to meet or who are invited into your circles.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Yes, bit of a difference though when you're PM and you are routinely shown the MI5 and police reports on people you intend to meet or who are invited into your circles.
    You know what that's actually a fair point. I wonder who did know.

Name:  5270724_Savile_That_369138c.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  42.4 KB

Look at those eyes, she knew! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    You know what that's actually a fair point. I wonder who did know.

Name:  5270724_Savile_That_369138c.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  42.4 KB

Look at those eyes, she knew! :eek:
    The police reports at that time would have listed the times he was brought in for questioning - she knew him during and after the Ripper enquiry, when he was also taken in under some suspicion, because he lived adjacent to the park in Leeds where one of the victims was discovered and was suspected by several people locally. It would be so interesting to see what notes detectives made about that in his file.

Call me a cynic, but I do wonder if she weighed all these things up and the calculation that it was cool for her image to associate with him outweighed any other doubts. Or - looking at it another way - perhaps she simply chose not to worry about something she regarded as unimportant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    I think it's terrible that the BBC AREN'T playing it. The BBC are supposed to be impartial and by refusing to play it they place themselves on one side of the debate.
    yep, totally agree, and shocking how they 'censor' this and yet comment on countries like North Korea censoring things. Also, if I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher gets to the charts (which isn't actually a pro-thatcher song by the way:laugh:) then they shouldn't play that either for consistency.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    The police reports at that time would have listed the times he was brought in for questioning - she knew him during and after the Ripper enquiry, when he was also taken in under some suspicion, because he lived adjacent to the park in Leeds where one of the victims was discovered and was suspected by several people locally. It would be so interesting to see what notes detectives made about that in his file.

Call me a cynic, but I do wonder if she weighed all these things up and the calculation that it was cool for her image to associate with him outweighed any other doubts. Or - looking at it another way - perhaps she simply chose not to worry about something she regarded as unimportant.

I'm inclined to believe that she didn't know directly, but was happy to sweep any suspicions she might have had under the rug so to speak to benefit from the image boost. I mean she did the same with Hillsborough, and investigations might be beginning to what extent she was involved in numerous cases of corruption and cover ups.

As cynical as it sounds, would any politician have done differently? :holmes;

ReputationRep:
    I'm inclined to believe that she didn't know directly, but was happy to sweep any suspicions she might have had under the rug so to speak to benefit from the image boost. I mean she did the same with Hillsborough, and investigations might be beginning to what extent she was involved in numerous cases of corruption and cover ups.

As cynical as it sounds, would any politician have done differently? :holmes:
    I corrected your holmes in your quote! We are having fun.

I think that some time in the future, when all the kneejerk adulatory Tory fanboy crap has died down, there will be a proper, thorough investigation into her and her governments and what will emerge will be a massive sink of sleaze and covered-up corruption. We know parts of it, but there is a lot more still to come out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azarimanka)
    Let the vermin on the left have their fun. At least by their actions we can see how hypocritical the animals are.
    Odd - that's exactly how I judge the Tories and Catholic priests.

ReputationRep:
    That means nothing really. Many people in the UK were incredibly fond of Jimmy Savile.

Regarding Jimmy Savile, how unlike the left to stoop to the level of smear tactics and keep name dropping Jimmy Savile in with Thatcher, as though Thatcher should attract criticism for having associated with him.

I could just as well find a picture of him with many other national figures before his descent into infamy - these two look like they're having a good time:

so do these two:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its terrible at all.

The song hasn't been banned by the BBC, nor anyone else. It will be played again and again for many years to come.

What has been prevented is its use for a purpose that the BBC never considered, by silly and / or unpleasant people who, as a result, are being denied their way. It is imperative that such people are always denied their own way and are seen to be being denied their own way.

ReputationRep:
    Whether the BBC should play the song or not is actually quite an interesting question because it highlights the paradox of having an organisation which provides state funded, politically neutral entertainment. I don't think political neutrality is really in question here - they are censoring themselves out of "respect for the dead" rather than agreement with Thatcher's policies. The question is whether it is acceptable to censor the protest of the people who bought the song. Although their motivations may be politically neutral, the results of their actions may not be, which puts them in a dilemma. Since they generally play all the songs in the charts, it's pretty reasonable for the protestors to expect the song to be played, and consider it censorship if it isn't, even if it isn't technically the case.

The whole thing just highlights the fact that state funded entertainment is a really, really stupid idea. Like, almost inconceivably stupid. In fact it's almost as stupid as it sounds, but not quite. A state news network is feasibly useful and important for countries that aren't North Korea, but state entertainment is just bizarre. If the BBC didn't exist and you suggested it in its current form then you'd be laughed out the room by even the staunchest fans of centralized government (assuming those people exist and I didn't just make them up).

It's kind of ironic. If Thatcher had her way on everything this probably wouldn't be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    I don't think its terrible at all.

The song hasn't been banned by the BBC, nor anyone else. It will be played again and again for many years to come.

What has been prevented is its use for a purpose that the BBC never considered, by silly and / or unpleasant people who, as a result, are being denied their way. It is imperative that such people are always denied their own way and are seen to be being denied their own way.
    I completely disagree.

Anyway, I'm listening to the chart show now and they just played the pro-Thatcher song, "I'm in Love With Margaret Thatcher". Why play one and not the other?

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree.
    So you don't agree?

Is it the case where you disagree that such people be denied their own way and should always be denied their own way and are seen to be being denied their own way, or is it only the case when that unpleasantness is something you agree with?

Or do you say that such people should be allowed to show as much unpleasantness as they choose in the manner that they choose?

Anyway, I'm listening to the chart show now and they just played the pro-Thatcher song, "I'm in Love With Margaret Thatcher". Why play one and not the other?
    You mean, why should something that shows support for someone be allowed, yet something which shows hatred for them not be, particularly at the time of their death? I would have thought that was obvious...

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks its a tad unfair that either or these songs have made into the charts I mean they're taking the spots of artists who have actually worked hard (well some of them anyway) and actually have a right to be number 1 instead we've them in instead :/ Thats just what I think anyway, wasn't that bothered about her tbh I like to think I hold a neutral position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccac94)
    Am I the only one who thinks its a tad unfair that either or these songs have made into the charts I mean they're taking the spots of artists who have actually worked hard (well some of them anyway) and actually have a right to be number 1 instead we've them in instead :/ Thats just what I think anyway, wasn't that bothered about her tbh I like to think I hold a neutral position.
    I think buying either of them is idiotic.

But buying one because you wish to prompt an extremely public show of hatred on national television of someone who has just died (the rationale being by having that song played in the charts) is cretinous behavour in the extreme.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.