Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azarimanka)
    Yea. So that's fine. Those that do hate it are traitors
    Why does it make them traitors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Why does it make them traitors?
    Because if you hate, and desire to harm your country and institutions then you are a traitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azarimanka)
    Because if you hate, and desire to harm your country and institutions then you are a traitor.
    Yes, because if you hate them, you immediately wish to harm your country. Lets say I have far more respect for anyone who goes in to the NHS than to the army. If any thing the armies role in other countries, has made the country more susceptible to harm, and less safe

Your argument is kinda like this:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kousar)
    I think you're totally missing the point. Choosing to participate implies support. If you don't like it you can drop out, and people do eventually. Once they feel the war is in reality, no good.
    I can say the same about being a Muslim. Supporting the abuse of women, bombing innocents, beheading soldiers etc.

I wanted to join the army because of the adventure really and to serve. It is also a good financial position for someone my age.

I'm going to make it clear, I did not want to join the Army to kill, pillage, go to war etc. It gave me a purpose really I guess. But I could not get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    I can say the same about being a Muslim. Supporting the abuse of women, bombing innocents, beheading soldiers etc.

I wanted to join the army because of the adventure really and to serve. It is also a good financial position for someone my age.

I'm going to make it clear, I did not want to join the Army to kill, pillage, go to war etc. It gave me a purpose really I guess. But I could not get in.
    I'm not even going to bother replying to this. It's shown me how little you know about Islam by judging it by what a couple of idiots do.

Addressing the second bold highlighted part: So it gave you a purpose, that's why you wanted to do it. And the money is appealing. I'm not going to dispute with your intentions, but that's the thing. Things like money draws people in. People should still look at the ethics of war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kousar)
    I'm not even going to bother replying to this. It's shown me how little you know about Islam by judging it by what a couple of idiots do.

Addressing the second bold highlighted part: So it gave you a purpose, that's why you wanted to do it. And the money is appealing. I'm not going to dispute with your intentions, but that's the thing. Things like money draws people in. People should still look at the ethics of war.
    And you judge the military by a bunch of idiots too. Sure they are all foremost, trained to kill but not everyone in the military wants to be a killer.

Joining the military sounded interesting and well, being an Marine Engineer who will work under the sea on ships and oil rigs sounded awesome to me.

Of course money is appealing, everyone gets jobs because of money, to eat, feed your family and have a house.

Don't dismiss my opinion just because you disagree with it. I was 16 at the time and learning the opportunities of the military was interesting, with options to go abroad, take on sports, make new friends. It's a varied life style, not a monotonous one.

Don't even bother with ethics on war, it's called war for a reason. An event where people go agaisn't each other with the intention to kill. There are good people in the military who want to do the right thing.

You seen a war crime on T.V committed by soldiers and suddenly believe everyone who signs up in the military are blood thirsty killers/rapists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    And you judge the military by a bunch of idiots too. Sure they are all foremost, trained to kill but not everyone in the military wants to be a killer.

Joining the military sounded interesting and well, being an Marine Engineer who will work under the sea on ships and oil rigs sounded awesome to me.

Of course money is appealing, everyone gets jobs because of money, to eat, feed your family and have a house.

Don't dismiss my opinion just because you disagree with it. I was 16 at the time and learning the opportunities of the military was interesting, with options to go abroad, take on sports, make new friends. It's a varied life style, not a monotonous one.

Don't even bother with ethics on war, it's called war for a reason. An event where people go agaisn't each other with the intention to kill. There are good people in the military who want to do the right thing.

You seen a war crime on T.V committed by soldiers and suddenly believe everyone who signs up in the military are blood thirsty killers/rapists?
    I didn't mention rapists at all. There have been a few cases of this but I'm not foolish enough to make a generalisation about them all. I just simply put my view forward that yes, I do personally believe that the word 'soldier' is just a euphemism for 'killer'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.