Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who will ''win'' the next election? watch

• View Poll Results: Who will win a majority in the 2015 election?
    Conservative Party
    15.38%
    Liberal Democrats
    1.18%
    Labour Party
    51.48%
    UKIP
    6.51%
    Green Party
    1.78%
    BNP
    1.78%
    No Majority
    21.89%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    No but they help the (not)working class!
    Quite - the idle rich

ReputationRep:
    A week is a long time in politics.

Though I don't expect many students to vote Lib Dem in 2015 though.

Two horse race I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Though I don't expect many students to vote Lib Dem in 2015 though.
    And to be honest it was only the stupid ones that did so in 2010. Namely the ones that want everything but want someone else to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    'Spare room subsidy'. I refer you to the BBC webpage.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21321113
    You must be having a laugh. Citing the BBC to prove the Tories right?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    You must be having a laugh. Citing the BBC to prove the Tories right?!
    I stopped watching the BBC when they were horrible to Boris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsGeek)
    a curious amalgamation of the St Georges cross and the Union Jack,
    Just as a point of interest - it's the white ensign - a naval flag.

I think it is quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Just as a point of interest - it's the white ensign - a naval flag.

I think it is quite nice.
    The clue is the ship that it is attached to. It was more a comment on its nationalistic connotations. But fair point.

ReputationRep:
    The clue is the ship that it is attached to. It was more a comment on its nationalistic connotations. But fair point.
    I would be proud to have the cross of St. George as my avatar. Don't give a stuff what anyone thought about it.

ReputationRep:
    I would be proud to have the cross of St. George as my avatar. Don't give a stuff what anyone thought about it.
    Proud? why? Not to imply that you should be ashamed, I'm just curious.

ReputationRep:
    Proud? why? Not to imply that you should be ashamed, I'm just curious.
    The country that I was born. The country that my parents came to have a better life.

ReputationRep:
    The country that I was born. The country that my parents came to have a better life.
    I'm sure we're both as proud as each other of our country. I would just be wary about displaying it through something that so frequently symbolises the more extreme elements of national pride.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure we're both as proud as each other of our country. I would just be wary about displaying it through something that so frequently symbolises the more extreme elements of national pride.
    It is time to reclaim it. The Scots and Welsh are proud of their flags, so am I.

ReputationRep:
    It is time to reclaim it. The Scots and Welsh are proud of their flags, so am I.
    What are you even on about

ReputationRep:
    I'm dubious about national pride in general. People are linked far more by beliefs and socio-economic position than they are by nationality. I'm far more proud to be a Citizen of the EU than a Subject of the UK. Far more proud that our country is signed up to the UN convention on human rights, than of our flag. Our values define us, not our emblem. Flags are an inferential form of segregation in an increasingly global world... But I digress.

ReputationRep:
    I'm dubious about national pride in general. People are linked far more by beliefs and socio-economic position than they are by nationality. I'm far more proud to be a Citizen of the EU than a Subject of the UK. Far more proud that our country is signed up to the UN convention on human rights, than of our flag. Our values define us, not our emblem. Flags are an inferential form of segregation in an increasingly global world... But I digress.
    I'm not happy with the EU, suppose we won't agree on much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosferatu)
    On a serious note, I don't think Labour can pull it back. They're an empty party with no real policies. Milliband lacks panache.
    He has Arnie Graf helping him now. Just look what the guy helped Obama do with his image.

He has the Labour's biggest problem is that its traditional supporters are mostly alienated from politics.
    This is why Labour needs to swing back to social democracy, rather than the centre that New Labour pitched it squarely into.

What do the Tories offer? Very little also. But the one thing they do offer is rhetoric. And I am sure the search for the scrounger and the promise to make Britain great will be enough to win all the votes that matter.
    I think Labour will start to produce a more coherent set of policies (rather than an opposition and a few key policies) as we get closer to the next GE. The Conservatives were the same in the run up to the last election.

I think it'll come down to whether people truly 'trust' the Tories with the economy, or whether they'll react to the severity and length of the cuts.

I could believe the Conservatives' claims that they're for a more equal, progressive, Conservatism if they weren't conspicuously unwilling to raise the rate of tax on higher earners, pursue tax evasion, look into the profiteering of energy companies through the way they structure their sales and energy arms etc. However, the question will be on issues such as gay marriage also: will it do enough to paint the Tories as 'progressive', and thus win votes, or will it lose more support than it gains by alienating more traditionalist Conservatives, sending them UKIP's way?
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Ed Milliband, I'm sure he's a nice guy... But he just doesn't scream "Leader". You know what I mean? Labour to 'win' though!

ReputationRep:
    And to be honest it was only the stupid ones that did so in 2010. Namely the ones that want everything but want someone else to pay for it.
    Surely thats how things work.

Either you want stuff but not pay for it, or want to keep what you have?

Both positions are selfish.

ReputationRep:
    Labour but having said that, my thoughts are of the raven looney party could be in next week if nothing happens soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

That Jewish guy

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.