Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

im muslim and gay, and I just came out to my mum, and now she hates me :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    That's odd, I thought Muslims were peaceful, mindful, peaceful, accepting, tolerant and peaceful.
    this has been repeated regurgitated so many times it has become annoying...

either you are a moron, or are using several levels of irony or something... if you were the former, i wonder whether you could differentiate which one you were

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mullah.S)
    you automatically thinking gay is meaning man-man gay, even though OP is saying the word girlfriend and mum asking to get marry (this they only say to woman). but since you are automatically saying 'love woman' immediately,

this means you are gay, because you are yourself think and it was just dying to come out you post.
    I can assure you that i am not a homosexual. I only realised that the person was a women. I did not read the original post carefully hope this clears up misconceptions.
    Edited the quoted post to amend misconception.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ha. Hilarious how this thread is swarming with religious bigots telling the OP that homosexuality is wrong out one side of their mouth, and telling us that Islam isn't homophobic out the other.

*gets popcorn*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MujtabaBajwa)
    I can assure you that i am not a homosexual. I only realised that the person was a women. I did not read the original post carefully hope this clears up misconceptions.
    Edited the quoted post to amend misconception.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok i understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mullah.S)
    neither do you apparent to me
    Explain or shut up :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    Well OP, I guess the hardest part is over anyway. My advice: give her opportunities to start talking to you again, but don't force the issue.

(Original post by AlexandrTheGreat)
    I'm not saying my experience represents the sum total of human experience on this matter. I am saying that I am experienced enough to know from gut instinct that the claim that this guy knows several people from non-religious households who had a horrible time coming out.. ​I can tell it's a lie.

Edit: And the ridiculous, homophobic Muslim responses on this thread are rather indicative of Islamic society as a whole, and at the same time totally out of step with their age peer group
    I know many people from non-religious families who had a horrible time coming out. Satisfied?

I also know people from very traditional religious families who had a surprisingly easy time of it coming out. People don't tend to obey stereotypes and sweeping generalisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MujtabaBajwa)
    And wheres your reference mr.scum?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you'll find my other comment on this thread you will see it, I will not resort to puerile insults like yourself. I feel sorry for you stuck in your ignorant ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    Tell her to go screw herself. I don't believe in God, but any deity worth their salt shouldn't have a problem with a perfectly natural sexuality.

You couldn't have hidden it from her forever.

Define natural h3h3h3

And don't say because animals have been found to exhibit homosexual relations :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dejah Thoris)
    Define natural h3h3h3

And don't say because animals have been found to exhibit homosexual relations :rolleyes:
    Occurs without technological intervention?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    I know many people from non-religious families who had a horrible time coming out. Satisfied?
    The point is not, are we capable of finding a few personal anecdotes that indicate that non-religious families can be homophobic and religious families tolerant, but the point that religion as a whole, and Islam as a whole, are homophobic, and that gay kids in religous households experience considerably worse outcomes in terms of physical abuse and homelessness. The latter point is not up for debate.

Also, if you deny that Islam is an exceptionally homophobic religion I have to question whether you're debating im good faith, and/or conflicted by certain urges (not wanting to be illiberal, and believing that criticism of Islam is automatically illiberal)

ReputationRep:
    The point is not, are we capable of finding a few personal anecdotes that indicate that non-religious families can be homophobic and religious families tolerant, but the point that religion as a whole, and Islam as a whole, are homophobic, and that gay kids in religous households experience considerably worse outcomes in terms of physical abuse and homelessness. The latter point is not up for debate.

Also, if you deny that Islam is an exceptionally homophobic religion I have to question whether you're debating im good faith, and/or conflicted by certain urges (not wanting to be illiberal, and believing that criticism of Islam is automatically illiberal)
    The point is that you shouldn't call people liars when they poke holes in your preconceptions.

The Abrahamic faiths bear a lot of responsibility for homophobia in society, and Islam is generally behind the others in getting past that. However, general statements about the doctrines of a religion do not translate into statements about the believers in that religion. There are perfectly reasonable people of all faiths and none, just as there are perfectly unpleasant people of all faiths and none. Some religions take a very progressive attitude to human sexuality, some are neutral, some are very conservative; and some people take a more progressive interpretation of their religious teaching than others.

ReputationRep:
    Though TSR is possibly the wrong place to ask this. I will say this to you. You are your own individual with rational thought, who is capable of making decisions for yourself, in that way you can identify yourself in any way you want. You can be gay and Muslim if you want to, that is your choice. If you want to adhere to some parts of Islam than go for it that is your choice to make.

Your mother doesn't care about you, all she cares about is the community around you. So I say go your own way and if she doesn't accept your choice than that's tough on her because she is not an accepting person. When one puts there religious political and even cultural beliefs before the principle of "treat those the way you want to be treated", than there's a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebell100)
    What is a Muslim? What makes someone a Muslim?

I think there may be more serious concerns to think about than what your mum said.

At the end of the day, your mum may not know what you're doing but Allah does. It is him you will have to answer to for your actions. Forget about what your mum thinks for a moment, What does ALLAH think? That should be your concern mostly.
    You put Allah before your parents?

ReputationRep:
    Ha. Hilarious how this thread is swarming with religious bigots telling the OP that homosexuality is wrong out one side of their mouth, and telling us that Islam isn't homophobic out the other.

*gets popcorn*
    Yes, I have noticed that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseaFCCC)
    Dont worry buddy, god doesnt exist.
    Tell it how it is. I admire you. :laugh:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Dejah Thoris)
    Define natural h3h3h3

Here you go, Oxford Dictionary:

"Definition of natural
    adjective

1existing in or derived from nature; not made or caused by humankind:carrots contain a natural antiseptic natural disasters such as earthquakes"

And the animal thing is completely relevant. It shows it's not a "sin", it's not a conscious choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    The point is that you shouldn't call people liars when they poke holes in your preconceptions
    I stand by my instinct. People make **** up in internet debates, and I suspect this is one of those times.

The Abrahamic faiths bear a lot of responsibility for homophobia in society, and Islam is generally behind the others in getting past that. However, general statements about the doctrines of a religion do not translate into statements about the believers in that religion.
    So its doctrines are homophobic, the actions of its adherents are exceptionally homophobic, but we shouldn't call it a homophobic religion?

There are perfectly reasonable people of all faiths and none, just as there are perfectly unpleasant people of all faiths and none.
    I disagree that anyone of faith can't be called "perfectly reasonable". More pertinent is that they hold collective responsibility for the false belief system they propagate.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    I think that is enough

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.