Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is it like on a plane? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    That's the holiday all booked up we go on 6-13th of June. I'm a mix of nerves and excitement atm!

ReputationRep:
    I hated plane journeys, so I tried to sleep for the whole trip. I just felt really dizzy and sick on planes
    But they're not too bad, aviation is much nicer now than it was a few years ago.
    I love the sound of the plane tyres touching down :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

My mum was never keen on travelling so hence why I've never been on a plane.

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

I'm going to Reykjavik and flying from Edinburgh with EasyJet.

Thanks peeps!
    Havent been on a plane since i was a kid so im relying on my memory but My typical flight consists of:
    1) 200 hours getting into the building, getting rid of luggage and boarding the plane
    2)150 hours sitting on the plane waiting for it to do something
    3) 20 hours of it pretending to move into position, ready for flight
    4) 30 hours of waiting despite it already being in position
    5) an hour of it speeding up and flying (most you would feel is being pushed back into your seat)
    6) possible ears popping (fix this by holding your nose shut and blowing gently
    7) possible up and down motion (there should be sick bags if you get pukey)
    8)1340 damn hours being bored out of your mind
    9)look out your window and you see some vaguely interesting scenery outside
    10) another 2440 hours of boring imagery outside (they may offer watching a video on a tiny tv 30 meters away)
    11)30 hours of waiting for it to land (most you'll feel is a jiggle seat for a few seconds)
    12) 3848592 hours of waiting for it to park...

That's your flight in a nutshell... I've been on many flights when I was young, needed more than my fingers and toes to count, not once did I die... What you need to worry about is how to fill in the boredom.... Could sleep or whatever

Some stuff to know: check out what you can and can't bring to other countries, watch put for how heavy your bag can be, keep your seatbelt on till the sign above you says you can take it off (usually when you're nice and comfortable in the air), can't remember if they changed this but don't use electrical devices until you're allowed (ask about this), no killing passengers, etc etc

ReputationRep:
    That's the holiday all booked up we go on 6-13th of June. I'm a mix of nerves and excitement atm!
    Make sure you take enough shampoo and shower gel. It is quite expensive to buy them in Iceland, at least it was when I went in 2009

ReputationRep:
    Typical. I booked the holiday on Monday for a later date so my boyfriend's passport would have plenty of time to come in. When did it decide to finally arrive? Tuesday morning! Ah well, at least its in now

Everything is all booked now. Just have to add the hold luggage but I will book in the suitcases when I get paid next week.

We are renting a car over there. This is gonna be interesting!

I'm so excited but nervous too

ReputationRep:
    I'm so excited but nervous too
    Exciting? Nervous?

Flying is one of the most boring things ever.

(Been flying for over 20 years, flew across the world frequently for half of those years. 22 hours spent flying is not fun, if you ever have the misfortune of doing so.You simply lose the will to live.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so nervous about the flying part, I'm more nervous about things like what if I forget my passport, don't pack my case right, what if we get lost in that car. You know, little things like that?

Flying does sound a bit boring but since it will be my first time, it'll have some novelty lol

ReputationRep:
    Flying isn't that boring. Just remember to take a couple of magazines. There may even be a screen on the chair in front- when I went to NYC, the screen on the chair in front told us what position the plane was in (ie how close we were) and had a brilliant quiz that me and my dad played against people throughout the plane. I didn't win one, though...

Aviation is so safe these days that the most dangerous part of flying is getting to the airport...

ReputationRep:
    flat

ReputationRep:
    I'm sad. I got a countdown widget for the home screen on my phone that counts down the days until I go :L only 48 days left that sounds great until I remember...that means there is less than 35 days til my exams lol

ReputationRep:
    Five weeks tomorrow til I go!

So excited but yip, the nerves are kicking in too!

ReputationRep:
    Five weeks tomorrow til I go!

So excited but yip, the nerves are kicking in too!
    Where are you going, and what airline?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Where are you going, and what airline?
    Reykjavik. Flying from Edinburgh to Keflavik with EasyJet.

ReputationRep:
    Reykjavik. Flying from Edinburgh to Keflavik with EasyJet.
    Ah ok. Never been with EasyJet but I doubt there will be screens in the back of the chairs for that trip. It's pretty amazing once you get up there and see the views (but you'll only see water for most of it )

ReputationRep:
    10 days now!
    I'm very excited but I've been watching flight take off vids on Youtube and its made me more nervous tbh!

ReputationRep:
    watch the movie "airplane", listen to the album "Airplane"!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesypuff)
    watch the movie "airplane", listen to the album "Airplane"!!
    Already watched Airplane, good movie :P

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUFn...has_verified=1
    Try this video aha.

Spoiler:
    Show

Read this once you've watched the video
    Spoiler:
    Show

I said, when you've watched the video
    Spoiler:
    Show

You sure you've watch it, right?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ok, if you say so
    Spoiler:
    Show

That's a cargo plane. It won't happen to the plane you go on!

ReputationRep:
    Just watched it, you're a meanie! Haha and wow, that was a lot of spoilers! Lol

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

My mum was never keen on travelling so hence why I've never been on a plane.

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

I'm going to Reykjavik and flying from Edinburgh with EasyJet.

Thanks peeps!
    It's a good experience. The pilot does the checks and brings the plane onto the run way. He then asks everyone to flap their arms really fast to help the plane take off. After it gets to a sufficient height, you stop flapping and the engines can take you the rest of the way.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.