Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    A 2.2 doesn't mean you're doomed, it means that you have to have stronger involvement in clubs and more work experience then someone who did the same course and got a 2.1. I find some graduate schemes are unfair where they ask for a 2.1, as you could get considered if you had a 2.1 form oxford brookes but not if you had a 2.2 from oxbridge. you could always apply for schemes which require a 2.1, tick the box that you have a 2.1 and in the interview prove that you could be a better candidate than someone with a 2.2. For getting jobs a 2.1 isnt going to make you stand out. Say there are a 100 applicants: 70 got a 2.1; you had a good attitude, work experience, leadership skills, involvement in clubs.... who's going to stand out?

I think for entry requirements into graduate jobs there needs to be some standardised points conversion scheme, for example in econmics: 100 for a 1st from oxford, 90 for 2.1 from oxford or a 1st from Nottingham.........
    Would be grounds for automatic dismissal should you tell them you have a 2:1 and they take you at your word.

^ yes I am a law student hah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Nonsense. If I work my ass off and then slack at uni and I get a third I am worse than someone who gets an upper second from a lower ranked university. If you are that hard working, work your ass off on the job market.

That is not what anyone is saying.
    Please read the whole thread before posting such strong statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterSnake)
    It's an option however chances are that they'll just see you as someone dishonest and withdraw their offer I think.
    The application procedure would be some kind of computerized screening thing. So if you tick yes you do have a 2.1 at least you get to the next stage. I got a job at a shop which at first asked do you have direct sales experience, I hadn't but I ticked yes. I got an interview, admitted I didn't have direct sales experience but told them about my other jobs/experience/character and told them how I could apply that to the job. I got the job. It's dishonest if you don't admit the truth in the interview, but by that time you've had the oppurtunity to sell yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Charli)
    Would be grounds for automatic dismissal should you tell them you have a 2:1 and they take you at your word.

^ yes I am a law student hah.
    It'd only be a dismissal if you took the job without telling them. I'm talking about getting through the automatic computer screening, getting an interview, admitting you have a 2.2 at the interview but at least you have the oppurtunity to sell yourself and explain your reasons for initially saying you had a 2.1. There's nothing decpetive about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    It'd only be a dismissal if you took the job without telling them. I'm talking about getting through the automatic computer screening, getting an interview, admitting you have a 2.2 at the interview but at least you have the oppurtunity to sell yourself and explain your reasons for initially saying you had a 2.1. There's nothing decpetive about that.
    Well yes, they can't dismiss you if they don't give you the job can they?

But what I mean is if you lie, and then continue to not mention it, the above can happen. And if you lie and then tell them at interview they will likely think that you are untrustworthy. I saw your example about having experience, but I think they would view lying about your degree as being much more serious. I think you may also have got lucky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    You know what- that might genuinely be worth a shot.

ReputationRep:
    Have you finished your degree or are you finishing soon? You could always use the argument that you thought you were going to get a 2.1 but missed etc.

ReputationRep:
    For a job which requires a 2.1
    if you don't apply then your not going to get the job.
    if you do apply you may get the job you may not.
    you've got nothing to lose

ReputationRep:
    You're not doomed, you could always become a Doctor.....

ReputationRep:
    phd or msc?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I go to the University of Nottingham and am about to complete my BSc (hons) Computer Science. However I'm probably going to get a 2.2 from the looks of things.

I've looked around at jobs and it's really rather ridiculous. Companies don't seem to care what uni you're from, as long as you have a 2.1.

I just don't understand this though- for instance I have a couple of friends who go to two much lower ranked universities than myself and are probably going to achieve their 2.1 in the same course. However throughout their standard of work has simply been easier.

In fact I helped them a lot through their studies, not to mention it just doesn't make statistical sense. Considering unis all use averaging systems to state their grade boundaries, our which has much higher entry requirements than theirs will inevitably have higher boundaries no?

I'd understand if there was a standardised measure of testing like A-levels where we all sit the same paper. However the grades are all rather arbitrary- so much so that I've had a lecturer tell me that they generally just look a bit of work, and give it a grade depending on their personal judgement. It's not as if there's even a rigid mark scheme.

=======================

On a side note, now that I am doomed with a 2.2, anybody know where I should go from here? It seems most of the large companies are out of the question, any recommendations?
    Agreed entirely. I got a 2.2 from a reputable top-20 1994-group university (Loughborough), and I put in quite a lot of effort. Now I'm doing my MSc at one of the best Russell Group universities for research (QMUL), putting in almost no more effort than I did for my undergrad; yet I'm averaging a merit - which roughly equates to an undergraduate first from what I understand. So presumably, if I'd done my undergrad here, I'd have been on track for a high 2.1 if not a 1st. In fact, the research ranking and overall world ranking of QMUL is slightly higher than it is for Loughborough - so there should be almost no difference in degree difficulty. It's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Well I see a trend, those from 'lower ranked' universities feel as if I'm taking away from their achievements. Which in itself I can understand being frustrating. However as many prior to me have pointed out. It's really not a fair system. And sadly I do have to 'deal with it', I don't really have much other choice.

And I'm afraid I don't know anyone at a top bank, hence I can't prove anything.
    I went to a top Russel Group Uni

ReputationRep:
    You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Yes some jobs specify a degree in a certain field however many don't.

Same goes for A-Levels. I've seen some students get A's in the likes of 'sociology, media and ICT' all being considered soft subjects. And get places for certain university courses whilst a student taking 'maths, physics and chemistry' be turned down.

It's really rather ridiculous. Hindsight's a *****. If I'd known this 5 years ago, I would have picked nice easy A-levels. Chilled in 6th form, got my A's, gone to a mediocre university doing a mediocre course and got my 1st, only to then all of a sudden be considered by all of these larger firms for grad schemes.
    pretty much my thoughts as well, I wouldnt have bothered with French a notoriously difficult A level for native English and would have just done Busines instead of Economics at uni

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth, I will point out that at least some employers do take the university into consideration - I was recently chatting to one of the recruiting guys from my company whilst on a course and he said if someone obviously capable is at a university well below what they should be capable of it will count against them.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I go to the University of Nottingham and am about to complete my BSc (hons) Computer Science. However I'm probably going to get a 2.2 from the looks of things.

I've looked around at jobs and it's really rather ridiculous. Companies don't seem to care what uni you're from, as long as you have a 2.1.

I just don't understand this though- for instance I have a couple of friends who go to two much lower ranked universities than myself and are probably going to achieve their 2.1 in the same course. However throughout their standard of work has simply been easier.

In fact I helped them a lot through their studies, not to mention it just doesn't make statistical sense. Considering unis all use averaging systems to state their grade boundaries, our which has much higher entry requirements than theirs will inevitably have higher boundaries no?

I'd understand if there was a standardised measure of testing like A-levels where we all sit the same paper. However the grades are all rather arbitrary- so much so that I've had a lecturer tell me that they generally just look a bit of work, and give it a grade depending on their personal judgement. It's not as if there's even a rigid mark scheme.

=======================

On a side note, now that I am doomed with a 2.2, anybody know where I should go from here? It seems most of the large companies are out of the question, any recommendations?
    Says it all really. :rolleyes: Hahaha, and you criticise others for going to lowly-ranked university. Look at yourself before you become so conceited.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

=======================

While I have the upmost sympathy for you, and do agree that - if what you're saying is true (that employers would only look at 2.1's, even if a cambridge graduate had a 2.2) - the system does need looking into, but as soon as i saw the title of this thread I couldn't help but immediately think "why didn't you just get a 2.1?"

Perhaps thats a little harsh, and I certainly wouldn't want to take anything away from what you had to do at uni to get that grade and how hard you worked etc. But it is common knowledge that, if you wish to have a smooth journey into a graduate job or such, a 2.1 is crucial. It's not the end of the world if you get a 2.2, however you'd have to have a little extra going on to be considered for the same positions as those who achieved the 2.1 status. Harsh, but fair in my opinion. My sister is in her late 30's and it was the same for her: you had to get a 2.1 or it's going to be tough. Needless to say she actually got a 2.2 and she is now extremely successful and happy.

Don't let that 2.2 stop you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Essayist)
    Says it all really. :rolleyes: Hahaha, and you criticise others for going to lowly-ranked university. Look at yourself before you become so conceited.
    What's that meant to mean? I attend fairly highly ranked institution, and I'm not criticising anyone for going to a lower ranked university. I'm criticising the system in how university marks awarded. Look at the post before posting such dribble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingm)
    While I have the upmost sympathy for you, and do agree that - if what you're saying is true (that employers would only look at 2.1's, even if a cambridge graduate had a 2.2) - the system does need looking into, but as soon as i saw the title of this thread I couldn't help but immediately think "why didn't you just get a 2.1?"

Perhaps thats a little harsh, and I certainly wouldn't want to take anything away from what you had to do at uni to get that grade and how hard you worked etc. But it is common knowledge that, if you wish to have a smooth journey into a graduate job or such, a 2.1 is crucial. It's not the end of the world if you get a 2.2, however you'd have to have a little extra going on to be considered for the same positions as those who achieved the 2.1 status. Harsh, but fair in my opinion. My sister is in her late 30's and it was the same for her: you had to get a 2.1 or it's going to be tough. Needless to say she actually got a 2.2 and she is now extremely successful and happy.

Don't let that 2.2 stop you.
    No I totally agree. That 2.2 is probably what I deserve on this course. I've struggled a lot. My university imposes 'functional programming' on it's students at every step, since that's what they're rather renowned for. Regardless- I struggled with particular aspect and it shot my averages down.

I always knew about the 2.1 cut off- however I never considered the massive differences between different universities on the difficulty of achieving such a grade.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's reassuring...

For real though? I mean I've got a few interviews lined up now. Fingers crossed something comes through. I'd be pretty gutted otherwise.
    In fairness he was a prick and did no work, he used to boast about copying other people's coursework, which could have been a lie but either way he wasn't a nice bloke. Even more hilarious is that his Nandos branch burnt down within 3 weeks of him working there! Maybe it's karma, at the end of the day he didn't graft to try and get a decent job so perhaps he brought it upon himself somewhat.

Another friend who also did computer science (I know he didn't get a first, but not sure of the exact grade) did temping work for a year or two and then landed a killer 50k+ IT job in Holland. All hope is not lost!

ReputationRep:
    I'm graduating this year with a 2.2, I got no responses from grad schemes but a few interviews with smaller companies and a job offer from a small software start up. It's not the wage I was hoping for but from talking to my friends who got onto some of the big grad schemes I think i'll be a lot happier going this route.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.