Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Her funeral should be privatised. A good way to carry on her legacy for those who care while not wasting millions of taxpayers money on honouring such a divisive political figure. Maybe some companies could sponsor or donate cash etc

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should have a good send off no matter how contraversial they were, but spening £10 million is a joke when the country is in the mess it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
    She believed privatisation and a small state. Surely its only fitting that her funeral be financed without using public money, its what she advocated in life?
    She planned it herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxchloexo)
    Everyone should have a good send off no matter how contraversial they were, but spening £10 million is a joke when the country is in the mess it is!
    Her EU rebate saved us £75 billion so far!

Also isn't her family part funding her funeral ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    I'm pretty sure that ammount, probably more will be taken from the family in inheritance tax anyway.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Apparently, Mr William Hague and Prime Minister Cameron asserted that Mrs Thatcher's efforts regarding the EU brought £75billion into the country; ergo, they reason, millions spent on her funeral arrangements does not even make a dent in that.

Additionally, Mrs Thatcher's estate is also bearing some of the costs.

Finally, I believe the cost is so massive due to the amount of people who will be turning up which include the high and mighty such as former Heads of States and World Leaders, not to mention Her Majesty.
    Well said,mate!

ReputationRep:
    It's a drop of the bucket in public spending terms, and while it may not not seem justified from the narrow perspective of people who believe she was a monster who took away people's jobs and destroyed industry for no reason, for the other half of the country and from an international perspective it certainly is. Furthermore, any kind of public funeral will immediately rack up those costs, not only to service the attendance of the high-profile guest list, but also for security to ward against potential disruption from her more extreme detractors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxchloexo)
    Do you honestly we've turned into a third world country during the period the conservatives have been in power? We may not be in the best of economic situations but we are still one of the world's great powers.

ReputationRep:
    Shes done way more than the prince and princess.

how much did that cost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    She planned it herself.
    Indeed, which began under Gordon Brown's time as PM. The Labour government signed it off.

Anyway I'll just leave this here. A nice fact check for Labour supporters who blame Thatcher for everything.

......The same week Thatcher dies, Ed Miliband breaks his wrist.

ReputationRep:
    The taxpayer paying for Thatcher's funeral? She must be turning in her grave already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
    My funeral would not be paid for if I keeled over and died tomorrow
    And what great service have you rendered to the state?

ReputationRep:
    Wtf you know how many people could be brought out of poverty with that?! How much new medical equipment could be bought by that? How that money could be used to make a difference in the medical field? How many more doctors and nurses could be trained? How many shelters could be built for the homeless? Thaaaaa faaaakkkk

10 million blown on her funeral? When people have to raise money for all that i listed through charity?! Daa faaaaqqqqqq she's already dead that money is a waste god damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by loversh)
    but you care if a 'scrounger ' or poor unemployed person is recieveing 70 pound a week
    Um, I think that the welfare state is an extremely good thing and the state should do all it can that even the unemployed can enjoy a tolerable standard of living. You seem to be assuming that I'm some sort of Daily Mail-reading classist--I'm not.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by iLoveMyCatsx)
    Wtf you know how many people could be brought out of poverty with that?! How much new medical equipment could be bought by that? How that money could be used to make a difference in the medical field? How many more doctors and nurses could be trained? How many shelters could be built for the homeless? Thaaaaa faaaakkkk

10 million blown on her funeral? When people have to raise money for all that i listed through charity?! Daa faaaaqqqqqq she's already dead that money is a waste god damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's all very true, but in reality it's not like the money being spent on the funeral would otherwise be spent on bringing people out of poverty or buying new equipment for hospitals and the like. It just wouldn't be spent, or it would go towards paying back a miniscule fraction of the national debt, neither of which are exactly helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iLoveMyCatsx)

I believe a lot of it, if not most of it, will be paying for all the military and police protection. There's a lot of high profile leaders going (such as the Queen) and I think even Obama was invited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TritonSails)
    That's all very true, but in reality it's not like the money being spent on the funeral would otherwise be spent on bringing people out of poverty or buying new equipment for hospitals and the like. It just wouldn't be spent, or it would go towards paying back a miniscule fraction of the national debt, neither of which are exactly helpful.
    Damn, you're right
    Jeeeez why cant things be so simple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    :rofl: I don't think this is a particularly advisable argument for Thatcherites to make.
    who said i was a thatcherite? Leaving aside my point that 10mil really isnt a lot...

ReputationRep:
    So a private contribution by the grieving family means that the funeral is completely publicly funded, hello it is not

ReputationRep:
    She'll be 'buried in irony', so to speak. :awesome:

Apologies. I had to say it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.