• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by freeurmind)
    e.g. BA News Media @ Leeds uni
    Degree elitism. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanillatea94)
    Out of those unis York and Sheffield are the best for economics.
    Having said that, you should really be taking into account the course and whether it suits you. There's no point going to a uni if the course isn't right for you. You will regret and realise that you could have got more out of your degree by going to another university.
    Think carefully also about the lifestyle you'd have in different cities and cost of accommodation and travel. Don't forget a pint is cheaper up north!
    Thanks a lot my friend. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    According to the subject league tables,the best are:
    Notts,Exeter,Lancaster, and Leeds. You should look at the University tables, and see for yourself the campus, social aspects.

ReputationRep:
    The perfect place is the place that best suits you.

York is the most prestigious however if you don't like the campus, city or even the course then I would say go to a different one where you are more likely to be happy as they all have good reputations.

ReputationRep:
    Prestige is subjective. I would say it would be Notts and Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    The perfect place is the place that best suits you.

York is the most prestigious however if you don't like the campus, city or even the course then I would say go to a different one where you are more likely to be happy as they all have good reputations.
    Many thanks !! Luckily, York is the one that I'm leaning toward at the moment due to many compatible factors followed by Nottingham as a second. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Film)
    Prestige is subjective. I would say it would be Notts and Exeter.
    Yeah Nottingham is currently one of my two favourite choice. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Out of those unis York and Sheffield are the best for economics.
    Having said that, you should really be taking into account the course and whether it suits you. There's no point going to a uni if the course isn't right for you. You will regret and realise that you could have got more out of your degree by going to another university.
    Think carefully also about the lifestyle you'd have in different cities and cost of accommodation and travel. Don't forget a pint is cheaper up north!
    Not Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Not Nottingham?
    I'm sure they're all good for economics. A pint in Nottingham, however, will be more expensive than a pint in York, mind.

ReputationRep:
    Of course the price of a pint has nothing to do with how good a uni is, but yes, I would say York and Sheffield have the edge over Nottingham for economics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they're all good for economics. A pint in Nottingham, however, will be more expensive than a pint in York, mind.
    Will it be? For all that it is further north (which I suppose is your rationale here) only one of these is prettily posh town with a big tourism industry. The other is a workaday city in the East Midlands.

Harrogate's pricier than Worskop, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LutherVan)
    No! People from Notts get more prestigious jobs than York.

If you go to finance and banking, after the target 6, Nottingham is one of the semi-target universities, York is not.

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/roug...able/7#8734461

When it comes to Management consulting, neither is really targeted.

When it comes to Law, Nottingham will take the edge.

Overall Nottingham gives the better graduate prospect.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?o=Prospects
    Nottingham is awful for Law - we were warned not to apply to them - over half of their student graduated with a 2:2 in Law.

The university sent letters out to all the Law firms in a desperate attempt to help them get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    Nottingham is awful for Law - we were warned not to apply to them - over half of their student graduated with a 2:2 in Law.

The university sent letters out to all the Law firms in a desperate attempt to help them get a job.
    LOL where did you read/hear about this and when? Currently at nottingham myself, not studying law though (and thankful for it if your post holds any credibility)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellevie)
    LOL where did you read/hear about this and when? Currently at nottingham myself, not studying law though (and thankful for it if your post holds any credibility)
    http://l2b.thelawyer.com/law-firms-u...015873.article

ReputationRep:
    I'm not having the best time at Nottingham so was actually happy to jump on this bandwagon but I can't agree with what you said; firstly, I'm not sure where you got that statistic about the law students because it wasn't stated in that article. What the article was saying was that the professors were trying to say to employers "Please don't hesitate to give our law students TC's because of first year grades, our marking system is ridiculously harsh for first year (which it is for quite a few degree subjects, including the one I'm studying) as we mark them at a final year standard, so many of the applicants go on to get 2:1s and firsts.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not having the best time at Nottingham so was actually happy to jump on this bandwagon but I can't agree with what you said; firstly, I'm not sure where you got that statistic about the law students because it wasn't stated in that article. What the article was saying was that the professors were trying to say to employers "Please don't hesitate to give our law students TC's because of first year grades, our marking system is ridiculously harsh for first year (which it is for quite a few degree subjects, including the one I'm studying) as we mark them at a final year standard, so many of the applicants go on to get 2:1s and firsts.
    My apologies - I mis read it - although regardless of whether they graduated with 2:1 most of them applied for TC's when they had 2:2, if other universities give out 2:1's and firsts for the first 2 years then surely we have an advantage over nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    My apologies - I mis read it - although regardless of whether they graduated with 2:1 most of them applied for TC's when they had 2:2, if other universities give out 2:1's and firsts for the first 2 years then surely we have an advantage over nottingham?
    No because the point is, if a student from Nottingham got a 2:2 in first year with extremely harsh mark schemes, and a student from another university (where they are much more lax about first year marking) got a 2:1, then take into consideration the circumstances in which the grades were received.
    Put it this way; there's a possibility that if the roles were reserved and the nottingham student took the other students' test, the nottingham student would come out with the same result (maybe even higher) as the student that got the 2:1
    (Hope that was all somewhat coherent)

ReputationRep:
    No because the point is, if a student from Nottingham got a 2:2 in first year with extremely harsh mark schemes, and a student from another university (where they are much more lax about first year marking) got a 2:1, then take into consideration the circumstances in which the grades were received.
    Put it this way; there's a possibility that if the roles were reserved and the nottingham student took the other students' test, the nottingham student would come out with the same result (maybe even higher) as the student that got the 2:1
    (Hope that was all somewhat coherent)
    No, I completely agree with what you're saying however from the Employers perspective he has one candidate on a 2:1 and one on a 2:2. He won't even consider the 2:2.

ReputationRep:
    No, I completely agree with what you're saying however from the Employers perspective he has one candidate on a 2:1 and one on a 2:2. He won't even consider the 2:2.
    Ah, I understand what you mean. Don't employers ask you which university you come from as well, though? Taking Nottingham out of it and using Oxbridge, say you have a 2:2 from one of those two, would they still be reluctant?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I understand what you mean. Don't employers ask you which university you come from as well, though? Taking Nottingham out of it and using Oxbridge, say you have a 2:2 from one of those two, would they still be reluctant?
    I would rather get a 2:1 from reading than a 2:2 from oxford, employers now set the bar at 2:1.

I think they do and they look at all your individual results - if you had maintained a high 2:2 and looked as if you could push it up to a 2:1 they might be more lenient.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.