29.88%
    North Korea
    5.49%
    Other
    29.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    who do u think it was then Einstein?
    Due to the scale and nature of the device and the explosion and the minimal number of casualties, such points to the workings of either a domestic terrorist or at the very most, an amateur Islamic extremist - however, the latter is very doubtful, as Islamic extremists claim responsibility almost immediately to send out a message.

Moreover, it is quite strange that whoever committing this heinous act has not claimed responsibility...

Additionally, if North Korea were to ever commit a terrorist attack on US soil, which I really don't think they would ever have any interest in doing, it would be massive - but I really don't think that NK so vehemently hates the US; all of their rhetoric and "Death to the USA" stance seems more comical and for domestic consumption, rather than having any serious substance to it.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the 'I could not give a f**k' option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uncle Bulgaria)
    Where is the 'I could not give a f**k' option?
    By you not posting, idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)
    By you not posting, idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That doesn't answer my question and cut out the insults.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, if that's the best that the entire country of North Korea could do, they're not much of a threat...
    It's got to be small group of individuals for some cause or other
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm inclined to suggest it was a small group of nutters following some agenda that are not associated with any known terror groups.
    The strange thing is that it wasn't a suicide bomber (meaning whoever did it is presumably still alive!) and yet whoever did it has not claimed responsibility.
    With Al Qaeda attacks around the world, they tend to claim responsibility very soon afterwards, even if it was a suicide bomber, so I don't think they are responsible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I'm inclined to suggest it was a small group of nutters following some agenda that are not associated with any known terror groups.
    The strange thing is that it wasn't a suicide bomber (meaning whoever did it is presumably still alive!) and yet whoever did it has not claimed responsibility.
    With Al Qaeda attacks around the world, they tend to claim responsibility very soon afterwards, even if it was a suicide bomber, so I don't think they are responsible.
    It's got Islam written all over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Due to the scale and nature of the device and the explosion and the minimal number of casualties, such points to the workings of either a domestic terrorist or at the very most, an amateur Islamic extremist - however, the latter is very doubtful, as Islamic extremists claim responsibility almost immediately to send out a message.

Moreover, it is quite strange that whoever committing this heinous act has not claimed responsibility...

Additionally, if North Korea were to ever commit a terrorist attack on US soil, which I really don't think they would ever have any interest in doing, it would be massive - but I really don't think that NK so vehemently hates the US; all of their rhetoric and "Death to the USA" stance seems more comical and for domestic consumption, rather than having any serious substance to it.
    right, blame the muslims now...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chindits)
    Well no, it doesn't as I explained. "Islam" don't hold a monopoly on bombings.
    It's not in the usual style of Al Qaeda (suicide or car bombing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    right, blame the muslims now...
    I said, at the very most, it'd be amateur Islamic extremists. There's a difference between an Islamic extremist and a Muslim - you do understand this, right?

What's more, I highlighted that it's highly doubtful that such was the work of an Islamic extremist (unless highly amateur) because no responsibility was promptly claimed.

ReputationRep:
    No. It doesn't. At the very most, it *might* have been amateur Islamic extremists. But most points towards an enemy of domestic origin (e.g. left/right-wing extremists etc) rather than an Islamic terrorist.

Lastly, there's a large difference between an Islamic extremist and a Muslim - ergo, your statement "It's got Islam written all over it" is erroneous in the least.

What's more, Islamic extremists are normally quick to claim responsibility and also aim for a high number of casualty - such is not the case in these circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    An Islamist leader from Mali has denied being behind the attacks

ReputationRep:
    So I guess the question now is...are the two events linked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    The fact that no-one/group has come out to claim responsibility is quite telling. I'm 99% sure now that this was the work of a lone attacker.
    most likely it was a small group rather than a large one based in afganistan or pakistan. still could be one or two moslem terrorists (or right wing americans) given its small size device. it is however the same sort as was attemted in the failed times square bomb last year , when a moslem american man was arrestted

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpP7b2lUxVE

ReputationRep:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93I0GQ20130419

confirmed as muslims who carried out the attacks.

ReputationRep:
    If this was some far right movement in the USA such as Timothy Mcveigh - the target makes no sense.

The depravity of the chosen targets at that specific location and time, can only point to Islamists. Hitting the spectators of family members and charity runners.

Only Islamists can be that depraved.

The fact there were two maybe three bombs is another indication of it being Islamist. The fact the bombs were relatively small (I'm guessing 2kg-5kg bombs) would suggest it was either not a central Al Qaeda plot (as they would have gone for something bigger) and more likely a lone wolf or 2 to 3 man cell inspired by Al Qaeda.

It could also be Hezbollah on the order of Iran who carried out a bus bombing against Israelis in Bulgaria last year. That device was quite small too. Given the post 9/11 security in the US, some groups may have factored that it's better to slip small devices in and have more chance of being 'successful' than try to attempt a massive attack and risk being caught.

Ball bearings are also a hallmark of Islamists. 'palestinians' pack their bombs with them.

Iranian agents have been caught in several countries in the last two years planning bombings.

Seems like I was on the right track 3 days ago.

Called it - Muslims.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.