Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How close do you believe Messi and Ronaldo are? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    People chat some absolute bull.

Ronaldo has scored 27 goals in 2013, So what? Still behind Messi overall this seasonMessi has scored 23. Ronaldo has outdone Messi in the recent Clasico's Real Madrid have outdone Barcelona in general this season. Ronaldo has had far more space and opportunities in which to score. Ronaldo is the leading scorer by 3 goals in the CL this year, and the goals have came against much better opposition; Galatasaray, Manchester United, Dortmund, Man City and Ajax. Yup, well done. A whole 3 goal lead! He only needed 22 more shots on goal to achieve that amazing feat...

In life, people love to have an extreme view. Ronaldo fan boys say Ronaldo is by far the best, likewise, Messi fan boys/Ronaldo haters say Messi is in another class.

Truth is, they're fairly equal. We're lucky to live in a time where we can have this debate, they both push each other to new levels.

Bold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    I disagree.
    How so?

They've both been the turning point at several times already in the KO rounds (Ronaldo's 2 against United and Galatasary and Messi's 2 against Milan, 1 against PSG and involvement in the 2nd leg).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Ronaldo is one of the best in a generation whereas Messi is the best of all time and we will be lucky to see his like again.

In 2010/2011, they scored the same number of goals, but Messi managed 11 more assists. This was also the year he ripped Man Utd to pieces in the Champions League Final.

Every other year from 2009/2010, Messi has led in both scoring and assists.

I find it hard to believe that there is still any debate about who is better. Anyway, to answer your question I would say Messi is quite a bit ahead of Ronaldo.
    I find it quite annoying when people say stuff like this Messi plays for Barcelona which is probably the biggest one man team in the world I know that the likes on Xavi and Iniesta could be an argument for this but there roles are to set up goals for Messi to score. I'm not saying that Messi is bad by any means on the contrary he's pretty damn amazing and is up their with the likes of Maradona, Pele and Zidane. However, in terms of depth of goals how many times have you seen Messi score an amazing 30+ yard strike. Also how many headed goals has he scored I know he's not tall but when has that been an excuse. On the other hand, if you want a complete and well rounded player you should look no further than Cristiano Ronaldo, he can strike from out of the box, he can score headers, he can score tap-ins, he can take players on (not as well as Messi I know). Also he's proved his worth with two teams and for madrid he has scored 190+ goals in like 189 games. All in all Messi in practise is a 6 yard box scorer and nobody can say who is better out of each player as they're completely different Messi is the only striker playing for Barcelona hence the high reliance upon him (this could have been seen when he came on late against PSG in the CL second leg) whereas, Ronaldo is a winger when he plays for Madrid. So in fairness i don't think that Messi is better than Ronaldo or infact the best player of all time until I see him single handedly lift the World Cup. We've seen Ronaldo consistently take Portugal to Semi-finals and quarter finals in both the world cup and euro cup with an extremely below average set of team mates whereas Messi has the likes of Aguero, Tevez, Lavezzi and Di Maria bolstering up the attack and they've done nothing.
    Both players are the same in my eyes until either one lifts the world cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    How so?

They've both been the turning point at several times already in the KO rounds (Ronaldo's 2 against United and Galatasary and Messi's 2 against Milan, 1 against PSG and involvement in the 2nd leg).
    Ronaldo has been the more consistent over each of the 90 minutes, for me. Constantly chasing back and driving the whole team forward.

Messi seems to have drifted in and out of games too much, life against PSG where he scored but was still very anonymous for the time he was on. Nowhere to be seen away against Milan either. This is where I think Ronaldo has held the edge over him in the CL, consistency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aqib7)
    I find it quite annoying when people say stuff like this Messi plays for Barcelona which is probably the biggest one man team in the world I know that the likes on Xavi and Iniesta could be an argument for this but there roles are to set up goals for Messi to score. I'm not saying that Messi is bad by any means on the contrary he's pretty damn amazing and is up their with the likes of Maradona, Pele and Zidane. However, in terms of depth of goals how many times have you seen Messi score an amazing 30+ yard strike. Also how many headed goals has he scored I know he's not tall but when has that been an excuse. On the other hand, if you want a complete and well rounded player you should look no further than Cristiano Ronaldo, he can strike from out of the box, he can score headers, he can score tap-ins, he can take players on (not as well as Messi I know). Also he's proved his worth with two teams and for madrid he has scored 190+ goals in like 189 games. All in all Messi in practise is a 6 yard box scorer and nobody can say who is better out of each player as they're completely different Messi is the only striker playing for Barcelona hence the high reliance upon him (this could have been seen when he came on late against PSG in the CL second leg) whereas, Ronaldo is a winger when he plays for Madrid. So in fairness i don't think that Messi is better than Ronaldo or infact the best player of all time until I see him single handedly lift the World Cup. We've seen Ronaldo consistently take Portugal to Semi-finals and quarter finals in both the world cup and euro cup with an extremely below average set of team mates whereas Messi has the likes of Aguero, Tevez, Lavezzi and Di Maria bolstering up the attack and they've done nothing.

All attackers. You don't win a International tournament without a defense. Right now Ronaldo's Portugal aren't going to make World cup. 6 yard box scorer as well? serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Ronaldo has been the more consistent over each of the 90 minutes, for me. Constantly chasing back and driving the whole team forward.

Messi seems to have drifted in and out of games too much, life against PSG where he scored but was still very anonymous for the time he was on. Nowhere to be seen away against Milan either. This is where I think Ronaldo has held the edge over him in the CL, consistency.
    Messi tracks back and chases just as much, if not more than Ronaldo tbh. And Ronaldo has drifted in and out of games just as much as well. He was pretty anonymous against United and Galatsaray away.

ReputationRep:
    Besides guys everyone knows Schweinstiger has been the best player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aqib7)
    I love how your argument is basically: "Ronaldo can score from further out".

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    All attackers. You don't win a International tournament without a defense. Right now Ronaldo's Portugal aren't going to make World cup. 6 yard box scorer as well? serious?
    Thats my point why aren't Ronaldo's portugal gonna make the world cup (because the players are all ****). Obviously you don't win without a defence Argentina's defence is solid but you need scorers as well don't you and on the big stage i've not seen Messi do that. And mate go on youtube and type in Messi's goals 2012-2013. Btw i have nothing against messi, i like both players but you have to look at there overall attributes. Messi was brought up with his team mates as little kids they've always layed football together. Ronaldo was bought in from united and has made a name for himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    I love how your argument is basically: "Ronaldo can score from further out".

:facepalm2:
    Haha i know it seems stupid when i read it back now.

ReputationRep:

look at the flick at 1:25, oh my days. when i see ronaldo score goals they're all different - headers, long shots, rounding the keeper off, that flick vs pique. u never know what he's gonna do. whereas with messi it's the same **** over and over again, thats why teams like milan,chelsea and madrid just bully him off the ball constantly

when i see messi score it's penalties or little tap ins set up beautifully by barcelona. the thing with barcelona is they're all so good he looks average when playing alongside iniesta, xavi, villa, even pedro

when ronaldo plays for RM he's the one making it all happen. i see him take players on, set other players up, gets in the right place at the right time and scores absolute screamers

there's the difference. overall i don't think any of them have anything on zidane or fat ronaldo though (players we've all seen). dont be stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)

look at the flick at 1:25, oh my days. when i see ronaldo score goals they're all different - headers, long shots, rounding the keeper off, that flick vs pique. u never know what he's gonna do. whereas with messi it's the same **** over and over again, thats why teams like milan,chelsea and madrid just bully him off the ball constantly

when i see messi score it's penalties or little tap ins set up beautifully by barcelona. the thing with barcelona is they're all so good he looks average when playing alongside iniesta, xavi, villa, even pedro

when ronaldo plays for RM he's the one making it all happen. i see him take players on, set other players up, gets in the right place at the right time and scores absolute screamers

there's the difference. overall i don't think any of them have anything on zidane or fat ronaldo though (players we've all seen). dont be stupid
    Messi>Ronaldo>C.Ronaldo=Zidane tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aqib7)
    Thats my point why aren't Ronaldo's portugal gonna make the world cup (because the players are all ****). Obviously you don't win without a defence Argentina's defence is solid but you need scorers as well don't you and on the big stage i've not seen Messi do that. And mate go on youtube and type in Messi's goals 2012-2013. Btw i have nothing against messi, i like both players but you have to look at there overall attributes. Messi was brought up with his team mates as little kids they've always layed football together. Ronaldo was bought in from united and has made a name for himself.
    They aren't ****. How come when Portugal make the Semi's its all Ronaldo but when their not qualifying for the World cup its the teams fault. Which one is it? Argentina's defense is solid now but in the world cup they had a Coach who's a crack fiend and a defense which was dreadful. Did you miss Messi's goals against Milan or?

ReputationRep:

God, you're like an STD that won't go away.

ReputationRep:
    Plus I don't know where this myth has come from that Ronaldo is the most complete player. He's not exactly known for his passing ability is he? You know, one of the most important skills in the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    They aren't ****. How come when Portugal make the Semi's its all Ronaldo but when their not qualifying for the World cup its the teams fault. Which one is it? Argentina's defense is solid now but in the world cup they had a Coach who's a crack fiend and a defense which was dreadful. Did you miss Messi's goals against Milan or?
    I'm not gonna argue with someone thats gonna bring up one measly goal that someones scored. Also when did i say that it was the teams fault for the failure to qualify for the world cup i said the defence wasn't great. Mate try looking at the consistency for the international teams for the past 8 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Messi tracks back and chases just as much, if not more than Ronaldo tbh. And Ronaldo has drifted in and out of games just as much as well. He was pretty anonymous against United and Galatsaray away.
    I'd have to disagree with your first point. Ronaldo has been very different this season and contributed a lot more to the team effort.

He wasn't at his best away to United, that's for sure, but he did still score the winner and stretch the United defence quite a bit. I think his emotions got to him too much that night as well. I think he did well away to Galatasaray, considering the circumstances, especially with his second goal to kill off a possible comeback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    Plus I don't know where this myth has come from that Ronaldo is the most complete player. He's not exactly known for his passing ability is he? You know, one of the most important skills in the game.

SUP?

some of the passes u are seeing in that vid messi dreams of being able to do

ReputationRep:
    Complete would be Passing, Shooting, Defending?

Right now Schweinstiger to me is pretty damn close to the most complete. Before people take out the pitchforks i genuinely believe Schweinstiger makes Bayern tick.

His passing is fantastic and his defending has improved so much that he seems to know how to read the other teams attacks.

ReputationRep:

sup?

some of the **** u are seeing in that vid messi dreams of being able to do
    Someone ban this moron already...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.