Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I agree, healthcare isn't a right. But then again by my reasoning nothing would be a "right".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    I assuming you meant decisions.

We shouldn't have to be making decisions, whether they're informed or ill-informed. People shouldn't have to decide on healthcare depending on the price of it. It should be provided to those who need it.
    Come on now, this is childish logic.

The NHS budget is finite, indeed our total productive capacity has limits so we cannot provide every single person with everything they need at zero cost. Decisions have to be made, and the relative cost of each option needs to be weighed up: do we spend £1m curing a single person of a particularly nasty disease or do we spend it curing a larger amount of people from less threatening ailments? It's utterly foolish to deprive ourselves of accurate economic information on the basis that we're worried about the poor&vulnerable. How can we help them when we don't even have basic pricing information?!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbs735)
    I don't think that healthcare is a right, but then again I don't think there is any reason for private healthcare to cost as much as it does. Private care, expecially in places like America, is ver expensive because insurance companies stand between you and the provider.

There is no reason for a standard checkup to cost an exorbitant amount. Insurance should be for rare, catastrophic injury or illness.

It's not free healthcare I object to, just the way it's paid for. If there was a way to opt out, so you lose national insurance but also don't have to pay taxes for it anymore, I would be fine with that. I don't feel comfortable with forcibly extracting money from others.
    And then all the rich people - those who pay the majority of the health costs in tax - decide to opt out and everybody else suffers and the NHS dies whilst they go to private hospitals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sellya)
    And then all the rich people - those who pay the majority of the health costs in tax - decide to opt out and everybody else suffers and the NHS dies whilst they go to private hospitals.
    But you would most likely be able to go to a private hospital, and pay with the money you have hopefully saved from not paying taxes, and have some left over, if we didn't have insurance companies as middlemen driving up the price. It also used to be that doctors would provide a reasonable amount of care for those who genuinely couldn't t afford it; it was an interpretation of their Hippocratic oath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barksy)
    I don't care much for theoretical intricacies. The reality is it hasn't worked when tried; what it has achieved is misery for those unfortunate enough to live under the iron boot.

The far left had the chance to sell itself in the last century. It failed.
    Well you obviously do care for 'theoretical intricacies' otherwise you would not have used them in your post, or perhaps you don't care for them when they are correcting one of your inaccuracies?

And what in your opinion does the 'far left' consist of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbs735)
    But you would most likely be able to go to a private hospital, and pay with the money you have hopefully saved from not paying taxes, and have some left over, if we didn't have insurance companies as middlemen driving up the price. It also used to be that doctors would provide a reasonable amount of care for those who genuinely couldn't t afford it; it was an interpretation of their Hippocratic oath.
    Are you serious? The money saved from not paying taxes... Privatisation of the NHS does NOT mean our tax contribution stop going to the NHS. This will be a 'mixed market' whereby private companies cherry pick the best services to make money off whilst under the NHS name. Continued public funding goes into the hospitals and any profits made within those services (i.e. physiotherapy, GP surgerys) will go into the pockets of international companies as opposed to back into the NHS pot. This is THEFT... they are using public money to put into the hands of the private companies. If you or anyone else wants to actually understand the implications and cant be bothered to do the extensive reading I have then just watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE1DasbKejA or better yet the full version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkTnCtg_Omk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.