Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squirb)
    I thought I was going parallel at least, so it could be the angle.. I'm not sure.
    I'll try and get a better angle next time to double check. Will try to go a bit deeper anyway to see if I can take some of the strain off my knees.

I do deadlift too, but I didn't do any on Friday and didn't lift on the weekend so I don't think that's the cause of the back pain haha

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 139
Size:  341.1 KB

i think this is your lowest position. see how your hip joint is still above the top of your knee? i think 2 more inches and that might be help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 139
Size:  341.1 KB

i think this is your lowest position. see how your hip joint is still above the top of your knee? i think 2 more inches and that might be help
    I see it, thanks! Guess I'll need to get stretching my hammies regularly too then, since I think any lower and my lower back would start rounding

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I see it, thanks! Guess I'll need to get stretching my hammies regularly too then, since I think any lower and my lower back would start rounding

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if it's not form maybe it's how you are setting your core? Or maybe it's an overall thing, more back work than you can recover from but squats are tipping the balance to give you pain but not the cause in them self.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    if it's not form maybe it's how you are setting your core? Or maybe it's an overall thing, more back work than you can recover from but squats are tipping the balance to give you pain but not the cause in them self.
    With setting the core I literally just take a huge breath of air and hold it, it tightens up my lats and core nicely (I think at least), is this correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    With setting the core I literally just take a huge breath of air and hold it, it tightens up my lats and core nicely (I think at least), is this correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe. Do it with your hand on your lower back and see if it tightens, if so yeah.

ReputationRep:
    You feel like you are going deep because your knees are coming forwards more than they need to. If you push your knees out instead of just forwards, you're going to get a bit deeper and it's going to irritate your knees less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    You feel like you are going deep because your knees are coming forwards more than they need to. If you push your knees out instead of just forwards, you're going to get a bit deeper and it's going to irritate your knees less.
    I see, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Feel your pain

ReputationRep:
    Lads and ladies!

Having knee problems which is apparently associated with weak glutes and hamstrings.

Any idea of weight exercises I can do? I had RDLs in mind, along with your standard hip bridges etc, but are there any more olympic bar-type exercises I could do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Lads and ladies!

Having knee problems which is apparently associated with weak glutes and hamstrings.

Any idea of weight exercises I can do? I had RDLs in mind, along with your standard hip bridges etc, but are there any more olympic bar-type exercises I could do?
    standard deadlifts? stiff leg deadlifts as well. good mornings maybe

ReputationRep:
    Hip thrusts. Although I'd recommend getting a pad so you don't have bar on bone contact.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi

If any of you guys who front squat could look at my gfs front squatting and check her form, it'd be much appreciated

She's been complaining of some knee pain after squatting, hence I ask.. cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Hi

If any of you guys who front squat could look at my gfs front squatting and check her form, it'd be much appreciated

She's been complaining of some knee pain after squatting, hence I ask.. cheers!

dunno about knee pain but form wise:

1) her knees are collapsing during the concentric portion of the lift. maybe a poor glute activation issue, or technique or both.
    2) She definitely has mobility issues. She needs to work on ankle dorsiflexion and hip external rotation, I'm sure you can show her some night before static stretching and some dynamic stretching to help with this.
    3) hard to tell but i think her weight is shifting onto her toes.
    4) I would tell her to drop dow to 50kg, focus on these issues, ingrain some good technique motor patterns and then start moving back up in weight.

ReputationRep:
    x

From the first vid it looks like her knees are coming too far forward, but looks fine in second video. Could that be the cause of the knee pain?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    dunno about knee pain but form wise:

1) her knees are collapsing during the concentric portion of the lift. maybe a poor glute activation issue, or technique or both.
    2) She definitely has mobility issues. She needs to work on ankle dorsiflexion and hip external rotation, I'm sure you can show her some night before static stretching and some dynamic stretching to help with this.
    3) hard to tell but i think her weight is shifting onto her toes.
    4) I would tell her to drop dow to 50kg, focus on these issues, ingrain some good technique motor patterns and then start moving back up in weight.

Cheers mate, I have no a lot of clue when it comes to front squatting. Help much appreciated - I have her stretching her hips out to improve hip mobility, both adductors and abductors, I'll add in ankle stuff

For weight shifting forwards - sit back more?

From the first vid it looks like her knees are coming too far forward, but looks fine in second video. Could that be the cause of the knee pain?
    It's not consistent her knee travel but I'm not sure how far forward is too far for front squatting as most peoples knees come forward on them

ReputationRep:
    I think it's not so much that her knees come forward too far but that they suddenly move forward at the bottom of some reps (a bit like I do with back squats). It's the same issue as weight shifting forwards, think it happens because ankle ROM is exhausted. To stop it a good cue is to think about lifting toes off the floor completely, I'm not sure it's safe to squat like that as standard though.

In terms of hips, I find KStarr's hip opener is great pre-squatting.. and then there's always the traditional squat stretch - squat down, place hands together and elbows between knees and just wiggle around in that position, pushing knees out all the time.

But my front squat is terrible so take all this with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate, I have no a lot of clue when it comes to front squatting. Help much appreciated - I have her stretching her hips out to improve hip mobility, both adductors and abductors, I'll add in ankle stuff

For weight shifting forwards - sit back more?

It's not consistent her knee travel but I'm not sure how far forward is too far for front squatting as most peoples knees come forward on them
    not sit back more, just keep weight on the heels. if u tell her to sit back more there's a risk of it becoming liking a back squat mechanics wise.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of drills:
    Cossack Squat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpczTeSkHz0
    Goblet Squat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaQPfi8f27E
    Russian Baby Maker
    http://www.catalystathletics.com/art...articleID=1695
    External Rotation in Flexion Stretch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xG-xW-5Fh4

She's pushing her knees forward (and her heels are coming off the floor) because she isn't pushing her knees out. To get deep she needs to get the rom somehow. So you basically need to work on getting her knees out.

A really quick and dirty way of dealing with the ankle issue (for training purposes) is just to buy WL shoes or stack a 2.5/5kg plate underneath the heels. If it helps instantly (and I suspect it will) work on ankle dorsiflexion and just take the crutch away as and when necessary. Personally, I just wear the shoes.

This is probably a combination of both a lack of motor control and a lack of mobility. So you might want to do some PNF stretching on the goblet squat (contract-relax by pushing in on the elbows which are pushing your knees out) and on the coassack squat (watch out for valgus collapse.) After the stretching you can do some light sets where you tap her knees in a bit and get her to resist that motion to get the abductors firing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    In terms of drills:
    Cossack Squat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpczTeSkHz0
    Goblet Squat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaQPfi8f27E
    Russian Baby Maker
    http://www.catalystathletics.com/art...articleID=1695
    External Rotation in Flexion Stretch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xG-xW-5Fh4

She's pushing her knees forward (and her heels are coming off the floor) because she isn't pushing her knees out. To get deep she needs to get the rom somehow. So you basically need to work on getting her knees out.

A really quick and dirty way of dealing with the ankle issue (for training purposes) is just to buy WL shoes or stack a 2.5/5kg plate underneath the heels. If it helps instantly (and I suspect it will) work on ankle dorsiflexion and just take the crutch away as and when necessary. Personally, I just wear the shoes.

This is probably a combination of both a lack of motor control and a lack of mobility. So you might want to do some PNF stretching on the goblet squat (contract-relax by pushing in on the elbows which are pushing your knees out) and on the coassack squat (watch out for valgus collapse.) After the stretching you can do some light sets where you tap her knees in a bit and get her to resist that motion to get the abductors firing.
    That was one awesome reply, thank you very much Will get on to her

ReputationRep:
    I think I just need to remember to keep chest up and lats tight to stop upper back arching. Anything else?

(on reflection not the best angle, I forget that I might want to look at something other than my back angle)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.