Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Unit 3: Revolution, Republic and Restoration, 1629-67 (JUNE 2013) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Equal)
    It would be fine but its not on the sec a spec which is

1629 to 1640 personal rule ans breakdown of it
    First civil war why parl won/ royalists lost
    1646-53 searxh for settlement
    1660-7 restoration
    That second section includes the period from 1640-2, though - it says so in the specification (see below). It wouldn't likely be a question as specific as the one which was posed, but it could be something similar.

"The second bullet point encompasses the process by which war broke out in 1640-42, the strengths and weaknesses of both sides, the initial advantages held by the Royalists and the gradual development of Parliamentary superiority."

ReputationRep:
    So, do you think that a question on why Civil War happened could come up, then?

ReputationRep:
    All I know is that I regret taking History... But I hope Civil War or Personal Rule come up!
    There seems to be a pattern in part A: first possible question seems to always be around 1629-1646 (personal rule+civil war) and the second possible question 1646 onwards.

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be sooo much information and details. Its overwhelming...

I swear if something comes up regarding localism, regionalism or neutrality I'll be stumped. I really hope it doesn't come up on Part B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zurvan)
    There seems to be sooo much information and details. Its overwhelming...

I swear if something comes up regarding localism, regionalism or neutrality I'll be stumped. I really hope it doesn't come up on Part B.
    You will probably have to talk about those factors anyway :/

ReputationRep:
    Oh, regarding Part B, do you think it's best to mention the general viewpoint of each of the sources in the introduction, or just do an overarching introduction of the controversy in general?

ReputationRep:
    idk, I think Rump/Barebone's is going to come up. I'd be surprised if the Restoration came up again - it came up in 2011 and 2012 - and personal rule came up in 2010 and 2012.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta123)
    You will probably have to talk about those factors anyway :/
    I don't reckon that I'd have to say anything about neutrality unless specifically brought up, there doesn't seem to be much besides pacts.

How would you even define localism and regionalism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackerss)
    idk, I think Rump/Barebone's is going to come up. I'd be surprised if the Restoration came up again - it came up in 2011 and 2012 - and personal rule came up in 2010 and 2012.
    In Part A? If it does I'll be pretty delighted as these are the last topic we did so most fresh in my head. Also, some before posted a good collection of notes on the two topics.

We didn't do anything on the Lord Protector or Restoration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wormtail)
    Oh, regarding Part B, do you think it's best to mention the general viewpoint of each of the sources in the introduction, or just do an overarching introduction of the controversy in general?
    Couldn't you do both? As in start with a general introduction of the crisis then move on to the sources with a few lines being of the first general view point given by the source and where its coming from then dwelling deeper into detail and refined connection as well as contrast with the other sources.

Are you worried about time hence why your asking?

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to be able to answer a question on why Charles lost the first Bishops war?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zurvan)
    Couldn't you do both? As in start with a general introduction of the crisis then move on to the sources with a few lines being of the first general view point given by the source and where its coming from then dwelling deeper into detail and refined connection as well as contrast with the other sources.

Are you worried about time hence why your asking?
    Good point, I hadn't thought about it like that, to be honest I'm kind of rusty with the source essays, we've only tried one this year, so I'm trying to remember what we learnt last year and then apply it here.

I think my timings are okay, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cam.2013)
    Do we need to be able to answer a question on why Charles lost the first Bishops war?
    Not just on that as thats one single event, question could be something along lines of,

The Failure of the Bishops War was the biggest contributing factor to the collapse of personal rule, do you agree?

ReputationRep:
    My moneys on Commonwealth coming up. Perhaps even causes of Civil War, although that does overlap with side-taking, so maybe not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iBlueBox)
    Not just on that as thats one single event, question could be something along lines of,

The Failure of the Bishops War was the biggest contributing factor to the collapse of personal rule, do you agree?
    Makes sense, it would be rather specific to center on a single event.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone plan there essay in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    What would you guys write if the question came up on the failure of the Rump/Barebones Parliaments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta123)
    What would you guys write if the question came up on the failure of the Rump/Barebones Parliaments.
    Its members were unfitted to rule as they drawn from the outside governing class at that time, Barebones himself occupation was simply selling leather. As far as quotes concerning the Barebones Parliament Hydes is by far the most notable and easily remembered - "A pack of weak senseless fellows". Keeping in mind he is a strong Royalist.

Its failure mainly came down to the divisions between moderates and the radicals (fifth monarchist group for example). Particularly over religion and legal reforms. Moderates started boycotting the meetings, not attending in which you just have mainly radicals stirring up expectations of millenarian change. Barebones was seen to be a radical threat to the social hierarchy.

Edit - Adding the usual positive twist for contrast in History. Majority of the Barebones Parliament considered themselves gentry, nearly half of them later on would sit in the parliament of the Protectorate. They sat six days a week for discussion as oppose to the Rump sitting for twelve hours a week. Passed 36 ordinances so very active.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppetmad)
    That second section includes the period from 1640-2, though - it says so in the specification (see below). It wouldn't likely be a question as specific as the one which was posed, but it could be something similar.

"The second bullet point encompasses the process by which war broke out in 1640-42, the strengths and weaknesses of both sides, the initial advantages held by the Royalists and the gradual development of Parliamentary superiority."
    hadnt even looked at that, ^^

thanks for pushing back my bedtime to 11:30 :P (1hr later than planned)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an idea of what might come up on the sidetaking section tomorrow?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.