Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    Wow, you sound brainwashed. I have nothing to say but check out the links I mentioned. It's upsetting that you believe the only thing to do with afro hair is to straighten it or chemically process it. That's a disservice and disrespect to the many people I know who know how to care for, and enjoy, their afro hair. Wow. Just. Wow.

By the way, all these women have afro hair and are natural. So don't disrespect afro hair just because you're unable to deal with it;

I actually don't have a proper curl pattern it's just a mix of kinks and odd curls and course frizz, I've tried natural no amount of hair product works and I've tried a twist out braid out to try and get some curl in there and it doesn't work. I'm mixed raced which might have something to do with it. Thanks anyway though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Didn't you hear? We're not allowed to be different. We all have to dress, style, and act the same; it's discipline, right?

The biggest problem with our education system is it stifles creativity, imagination, innovation, never mind extending that to hairstyles.
    Exactly! Crap rules like that only fill students up who are likely to be targeted with more hatred for the school system and thus makes them even more likely to misbehave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriajackson)
    I actually don't have a proper curl pattern it's just a mix of kinks and odd curls and course frizz, I've tried natural no amount of hair product works and I've tried a twist out braid out to try and get some curl in there and it doesn't work. I'm mixed raced which might have something to do with it. Thanks anyway though.
    There are a lot of naturals without a defined curl pattern, hun. Besides, it's not all about curl pattern. Anyway, you just have to keep on trying. It's trial and error. If you don't want to, you don't have to, but please don't put afro hair down and imply it's impossible to deal with. Have you tried natural hair websites? And believe me, I have a defined curl pattern and fine textured, fairly loose curls and I struggled with twist/braid outs. They used to just turn into a cloud of frizz. Until I learned how to do them properly. I just don't do them much because of lack of patience.

Also, you being mixed race has nothing to do with it. I'm mixed race and don't have afro hair. Some people are full black and have hair like mine. It just depends, really. Very little is dependent on race, it's just certain races are more likely to have a certain phenotype.

Lastly, if your hair is damaged from poor hair care and/or lots of heat, it's not going to cooperate. Healthy hair is much more likely too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    I'm actually surprised at your sound logic here! You aren't as bad as you act sometimes. I personally don't see the point in strict rules about hair in schools anyway. Fair enough in the world of work, but seems unnecessary in schools. If anything, short skirts are more of an issue than hair can be.
    I do try to be far more emotive and biased than I actually feel 99% of the time otherwise people just say nothing and continue to dribble on their keyboards :rofl:
    However I think haircuts are very important. If a guy came in with a complete skinhead, then they were a piece of **** - and no, this is not an exaggeration. Why? Because what type of guys get that haircut? Oh right, the ones who liked to fight, cause trouble, disrupt lessons etc. So what quickly happens is that this haircut becomes part of a uniform for these *******s and they all jump onto the bandwagon and try acting like the first kid who did it. The result? A bunch of wild kids causing trouble.
    Now, if you jump on the first guy who does this and force him to grow back his hair or face expulsion, this forces authority onto him (just like in the army). This results in the kid being less of an arse and no one following him. This of course applies to girls getting cheap slapper/chavy haircuts too as it is all about one thing, forcing a good standard and authority onto the bad kids.
    So this is why you have a catch-22 situation with kids who have afro-carb hair. On one hand you say their hair is different and they are an exception. Result? **** ton of racism and stigmatisation. Every dumbass kid will claim it is liberal biasing and you will segregate them simply because people are too stupid to realise that hair differs. This leaves you with having one-rule-for-all which results in a pain for the afro-carb kids, though I would say most likely less of a pain.

Obviously this could all be side stepped with a license to have kids so all stupid and bigoted kids are not born, but alas, I think that might be a wee bit harder to implement than the 2 rules above :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)
    Who cares? I doubt they are being excluded because of their ethnicity, and they shouldn't receive special treatment because of it.

The school sets its rules, follow them or go elsewhere. It teaches standards and discipline.
    Damn right. The real reason for this allegation is that students no longer know the real value of education and their parents fail to teach them due to their lack of education, it's a vicious cycle.

ReputationRep:
    Because of 'behaviour'? That has nothing to do with ethnicity. If someone misbehaves then they should be punished, ethnicity should have no dictation on whether or not they are allowed to stay.

ReputationRep:
    many of my friends in class are black, they are so misunderstood too sad only I know they are not what they make them out to be at all

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.