Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    The 'it works for me' argument is a poor one. Medicine is based on evidence not anecdotes.

Hahahahahaa :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I let the statistics speak for themselves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilutions

ReputationRep:
    I had psoriasis for 7yrs but after using homeopathy for 10 months, it all went!

ReputationRep:
    Yes it works and is the future of medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get fed Calpol.

ReputationRep:
    Have I ever tried homeopathy? Last time I checked, my IQ was 117 so no, I haven't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tif49)
    Yes it works and is the future of medicine.
    Evidence for that statement? As in, non-anecdotal, verifiable evidence that it has any effect beyond that of a regular glass of water or sugar pill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A sheesh)
    I had psoriasis for 7yrs but after using homeopathy for 10 months, it all went!
    Apparently, you're a very suggestible person. If you mail £1000 to me I can make you a billionaire in a week, honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    Can you explain why it doesn't work for everyone?
    The same reason conventional medicine doesn't work for everyone. Not every treatment suits every individual.

(Original post by Slumpy)
    You're wrong. Somebody linked to an article on literally the previous page showing a study that (at the very least) suggests knowledge that it's a placebo doesn't have an impact.

Also, you took some homeopathy, and something happened. This does not imply a causal link between the two events.

Man this thread is annoying.
    That would imply that the mind has nothing to do with it, thus, mind over matter never works (reverse). Yet studies have found it does (I can link you if you really want), therefore I question that particular study

ReputationRep:
    In terms of homeopathy, I think Tim Minchin had the best summary of it "If it actually worked, it wouldn't be called 'alternative medicine'... what would it be called? oh yeah, medicine." and "if infinitely diluted particles can have an effect on us, basically we are drinking poo every time we drink water."
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    That would imply that the mind has nothing to do with it, thus, mind over matter never works (reverse). Yet studies have found it does (I can link you if you really want), therefore I question that particular study
    "If you know that it's a placebo, you get better as well as or better than placebo" has contrapositive "If you get better worse than placebo would, then you don't know it's a placebo" - your logic is faulty. The truth of a statement says nothing about that statement's converse (or "reverse", as you put it).
    It could be, for example, that the mind has everything to do with it, but not the conscious mind (the fact that an intervention has been made, however rubbish we know it to be, could still have an impact on the ape within, to put it a little melodramatically…)

If so then I'm pissed off at how easily [SSRIs are] marketed as a fix for all sorts. I've looked into them before and hadn't found much evidence to support their use which is another reason I think they're a load of crap.
    Yep, it's a case where the drug companies do loads of trials, about half come up weakly positive and are spun into strongly positive, and about half come up negative or harmful and aren't published. See http://www.alltrials.net for a relevant petition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    "If you know that it's a placebo, you get better as well as or better than placebo" has contrapositive "If you get better worse than placebo would, then you don't know it's a placebo" - your logic is faulty. The truth of a statement says nothing about that statement's converse (or "reverse", as you put it).
    It could be, for example, that the mind has everything to do with it, but not the conscious mind (the fact that an intervention has been made, however rubbish we know it to be, could still have an impact on the ape within, to put it a little melodramatically…)
    But what about studies which have shown that cancer patients can spontaeneously recover based on positive thinking? Or that your attiutude makes a massive difference to recovery? That is conscious.

Yep, it's a case where the drug companies do loads of trials, about half come up weakly positive and are spun into strongly positive, and about half come up negative or harmful and aren't published. See http://www.alltrials.net for a relevant petition.
    And I get called a conspiracy theorist for saying this. Thanks for the link!

ReputationRep:
    It's funny that most of the people in this thread who are saying yes don't seem to actually know what homeopathy is.

But no, it doesn't work.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    But what about studies which have shown that cancer patients can spontaeneously recover based on positive thinking? Or that your attiutude makes a massive difference to recovery? That is conscious.
    Yep, but it doesn't rule out that unconscious effects might be stronger Essentially, we know nothing about the placebo effect except that it works in many situations; we've done experiments to work out in which situations it works, and how well; and those experiments tell us that it works both when you think it works, and also when you think it won't :P
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Feloreena)
    It's funny that most of the people in this thread who are saying yes don't seem to actually know what homeopathy is.
    It's all in the succussion!

ReputationRep:
    The same reason conventional medicine doesn't work for everyone. Not every treatment suits every individual.

Yeah, false equivalence here. Regular medicine can affect different patients differently if their body has an unexpected reaction to the active ingredients therein (as individual mutations, diet, lifestyle substances ingested other than the drug and so on can cause the drug to have unexpected side activity.

Homoeopathy can't vary this way, as it has no active ingredient in it. There simply is nothing there to have an effect. The suggestibility of an individual would be the only individual variation which could alter its efficacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Yeah, false equivalence here. Regular medicine can affect different patients differently if their body has an unexpected reaction to the active ingredients therein (as individual mutations, diet, lifestyle substances ingested other than the drug and so on can cause the drug to have unexpected side activity.

Homoeopathy can't vary this way, as it has no active ingredient in it. There simply is nothing there to have an effect. The suggestibility of an individual would be the only individual variation which could alter its efficacy.
    There are two things about homeopathic medicine that conventional medicine tends to gloss over.

The first comes from the repeated use of dismissives when referring to the placebo effect e.g "its only a placebo", "homoeopathy works no better than a placebo". An improvement in condition brought about by a placebo effect is seen as inherently less worthy than an improvement in condition brought about by a pharmacological process.

Secondly, it is likely that much of the effect of homeopathic medicine is not due to the placebo effect but to the process of diagnosis. Homeopaths tend to spend far longer in appointments and gain a far more detailed understanding of the lifestyle and general physical and mental health of patients than most general practitioners. Conditions that have a psychological component or which are likely to be affected by lifestyle changes may be helped other than by the homeopathic "remedies" prescribed.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Once I took some (I think it was sulphur) for restless legs syndrome... it made it worse :lolwut:
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    Once I took some (I think it was sulphur) for restless legs syndrome... it made it worse :lolwut:
    No it didn't

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But there are reasons for people having adverse effects to different drugs, and scientists have documented these reasons. Why has no one found the reason people have different reactions to Homeopathy?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.