oooooo revision
    Wanna join in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Wanna join in?
    yes please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo)
    Guys I really want an a in this was 3 marks off a b and made them up in my coursework.. Havent started revising yet. Any tips on how to prepare during the next 24hours? Xxx I really need an A! (A)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, the best way is to firstly have a go at some past papers and identify the areas that you are consistently dropping marks in.
    Then simply target and focus your revision to making sure that you have these areas thoroughly covered!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ADAOBI123)
    yes please
    Okay then, explain trend in reactivity as you travel down group 2, make sure you go into detail as that would normally be worth 3-4 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know its soluble in non polar solvents such as hexane, but I'm not too sure about the second part :-/
    Second part is right, double checked in book

ReputationRep:
    Okay then, explain trend in reactivity as you travel down group 2, make sure you go into detail as that would normally be worth 3-4 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As you go down group 2 the reactivity decreases. This i because there are more shells, so electron shielding will have no effect. This will also mean that nuclear attraction will also decrease down the group. Moreover, it is much easier to remove an electron from the outer shell.

I think I covered it :confused:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by yodawg321)
    Second part is right, double checked in book
    Okay, I've just never included that in my answers so I just got confused a bit, that's all

ReputationRep:
    As you go down group 2 the reactivity decreases. This i because there are more shells, so electron shielding will have no effect. This will also mean that nuclear attraction will also decrease down the group. Moreover, it is much easier to remove an electron from the outer shell.

You might of got mixed up with Group 7

I got :

Gets more reactive as you go down.
    Increased AtomicRadius
    IncreasedShielding
    Decreasing NuclearAttraction
    Although there's increasing nuclear charge the increasing shielding and radius outweighs this.
    Easier to remove electron from outer shell. TyTy
    Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Okay, you might have got confused a little. I'll give you a hint and see if you can change and improve your answer. Group 2 are metals which want to lose electrons.

Have another try
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by yodawg321)
    You might of got mixed up with Group 7

I got :
    Gets more reactive as you go down.
    Increased AtomicRadius
    IncreasedShielding
    Decreasing NuclearAttraction
    Although there's increasing nuclear charge the increasing shielding and radius outweighs this.
    Easier to remove electron from outer shell. TyTy
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, that all seems correct but there isn't any increase in nuclear charge as they are all in the same group, so all have the same charge

ReputationRep:
    What is the exact definition of a Dative Bond?

ReputationRep:

Not quite. Reactivity actually increases down group 2. You're right that there are more shells but this means that there is more electron shielding down the group as there are more inner-shell electorns to repel the outer-shell electrons. Also, the increase in shells means that the atomic radius increases. Both reduce the electrostatic attraction between the nucleus and the outer-shell electrons making it easier for the group 2 elements to lose their outer two electrons down the group (this is what they aim to do to achieve a full otuer shell fo electorns/elec. config. of a noble gas).
    Nuclear charge does increase down the group but it's outweighed by the increase in atomic radius and electron shielding. Hope that clarifies it -sorry it was a bit of a rant

ReputationRep:
    Okay, you might have got confused a little. I'll give you a hint and see if you can change and improve your answer. Group 2 are metals which want to lose electrons.

Have another try
    Okay,

As you go down group 2 the reactivity increases. This is because the atomic radii increases, so they will be more shielding. This will also mean that the nuclear attraction decreases too. This will mean that it will be easier to lose an outer electron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niniesta96)
    Not quite. Reactivity actually increases down group 2. You're right that there are more shells but this means that there is more electron shielding down the group as there are more inner-shell electorns to repel the outer-shell electrons. Also, the increase in shells means that the atomic radius increases. Both reduce the electrostatic attraction between the nucleus and the outer-shell electrons making it easier for the group 2 elements to lose their outer two electrons down the group (this is what they aim to do to achieve a full otuer shell fo electorns/elec. config. of a noble gas).
    Nuclear charge does increase down the group but it's outweighed by the increase in atomic radius and electron shielding. Hope that clarifies it -sorry it was a bit of a rant
    Its okay, thanks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid150)
    What is the exact definition of a Dative Bond?
    A shared pair of electrons which has been donated by one of the bonding atoms

ReputationRep:
    Actually nuclear charge does increase because there are more protons in the nuclei of the elements' atoms down group 2.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Okay,

As you go down group 2 the reactivity increases. This is because the atomic radii increases, so they will be more shielding. This will also mean that the nuclear attraction decreases too. This will mean that it will be easier to lose an outer electron.
    Yeah that sounds a lot better Ask me a question now?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that all seems correct but there isn't any increase in nuclear charge as they are all in the same group, so all have the same charge
    Actually the nuclear charge does increase down the group as the elements' atoms have more protons in their nuclei.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that sounds a lot better Ask me a question now?
    Hmmmmmmm

Describe how van der waals forces arise ?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by niniesta96)
    Actually the nuclear charge does increase down the group as the elements' atoms have more protons in their nuclei.
    Of course! Sorry I was having a bit of a moment, so the nuclear charge that does increase won't effect the overall result too much?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.