Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

On average what's more dangerous 'alcohol' or 'weed'? watch

• View Poll Results: What's more dangerous 'alcohol' or 'weed'?
    Alcohol
    87.04%
    Weed
    12.96%

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is a lethal amount of THC to humans but there is a lethal amount of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    I don't think there is a lethal amount of THC to humans but there is a lethal amount of alcohol.
    There is, but it's something like 600 spliffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    There is, but it's something like 600 spliffs.
    I always thought there wasn't.

I know there is a lethal dose in cats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnicornFairy12)
    To start with, weed is not addictive, unlike alcohol.
    Weed is not addictive? Tell that to the people I know whose lives have literally gone down the ****ter because they started smoking weed, and they won't stop. Someone I care about very much literally fiends for weed, and used to smoke it even when it made her throw up!

Maybe it's not physiologically addictive, but at the very least, the actions/habit of it is. People can get addicted to anything.

ReputationRep:
    I can't talk for the physical affects, but it affects the mind psychologically. It's a drug, after all.

I used to smoke it when I was 14, and it affected my mind in a bad, bad way. I refuse to touch it now. Funnily enough, everyone I know who smokes it suffers affects from it too, but refuse to acknowledge it. My cousin gave up for a couple of months, and he looked SO much better and his moods were so much better. He was more motivated and happy. He's started it again and is back to being moody etc etc.

Edit: I don't like alcohol either. I don't drink it. That stuff is poison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I would tend to say alcohol, as the science does point that way. Having said that, to say de 'erb is perfectly safe isn't true either. It has been shown to cause a number of problems.
    I've seen someone effectively waste the last three years of their life through addiction to weed. He's about to outright fail his degree. It's not like this is something that's only just happened as well. He failed his first year exams. Just scraped through the resits. Failed his second year exams (and most of the coursework) and failed most of the resits. Appealed against the university and somehow managed to scrape through into third year. Hasn't turned up to most lectures so far this year, almost all work handed in late and terrible marks. He's used up all of his condoned fails and the exams we're doing at the moment aren't exactly easy, even for people who've worked very hard for the last three years.
    He's going to leave here with nothing to show for his efforts, and it started to go wrong when he started smoking a LOT. When he first came to university he was pretty bright. Now he speaks considerably slower and is generally confused by everything. Kind of sad when you think about it.
    Same old story I've seen time and time again. And still they preach on about weed being amazing and the best thing ever. Enjoy your 30th birthday with no job and nothing to show, dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnicornFairy12)
    Alcohol is by far more dangerous. To start with, weed is not addictive, unlike alcohol. The immediate effects of weed put you in far less danger than the intoxicated state alcohol will often leave you in. Drunkenness causes all sorts of injuries. Although any kind of smoke is generally bad for you to a certain extent, weed contains no carcinogens, meaning there is almost no chance of it causing cancer or any other similar diseases. Drinking, on the other hand, causes 13000 cancer related deaths each year. Alcohol takes lives daily; weed does not. It's obvious which is more dangerous.
    Free the weed

ReputationRep:
    There is simply no question about this.

It's alochol that is more dangerous, arguing the opposite is complete nonsense.

In a single use, the effects of alcohol are more pronounced. Being able to kill yourself simply by ingesting alcohol puts points towards alcohol right away. The effects of of alcohol are also far more likely to have secondary damages to yourself and others. In the immediate sense, there is simply no question between the two.

In prolonged use, alcohol takes it again. Even in relatively short term, it can cause damage to your mouth, throat, stomach, digestive system, pancreas, liver, brain, heart and pretty much every single organ in your body. In the brain, it causes a whole host of problem, including more psychological disorders to outright brain damage.

Now, let's look at Cannabis. The short term risks are almost non-existent. Smoking weed is very unlikely to promote violent behavior, and due to it's sedative effect, you are unlikely to cause any damage to yourself or others while high, with the exception of negligence (such as leaving something burning). You cannot overdose, it is unlikely to make you sick, and you will not encounter any of the host of problems associated with excessive drinking.

In the long-term, Cannabis can promote the development of various psychological disorders, with a marked relationship with psychosis. While there apparently doesn't appear to be any relationship between smoking weed and getting lung cancer, the fact that it is usually smoked with tobacco without a filter causes problems, ingesting the cannabis through other means alleviates that potential problem altogether. There is conflicting evidence about the cognitive effects, with a definite decrease being recorded, and an improvement after about 28 days of stopping, but THC is toxic to at least certain neurons. Generally though, there does not appear to be any significant link to significant brain damage, even with prolonged and chronic use.

So, with that in mind, alcohol is easily more dangerous. It's more damaging in both the short-term and long-term. Any potentially problems from chronic cannabis abuse are also present in chronic alcohol abuse. There are no medical benefits from alcohol, while there appear to be some for cannabis. To top it off, Alcohol is both more addictive and has a worse withdrawal process.

Simply put, there is absolutely no argument. Alcohol is more dangerous than weed, and by a significant amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    I can't talk for the physical affects, but it affects the mind psychologically. It's a drug, after all.

I used to smoke it when I was 14, and it affected my mind in a bad, bad way. I refuse to touch it now. Funnily enough, everyone I know who smokes it suffers affects from it too, but refuse to acknowledge it. My cousin gave up for a couple of months, and he looked SO much better and his moods were so much better. He was more motivated and happy. He's started it again and is back to being moody etc etc.

Edit: I don't like alcohol either. I don't drink it. That stuff is poison.
    I'm happy and motivated and I'm a full time stoner! True dat. I'd argue that I'm probably at the best part of my life at the moment tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'm happy and motivated and I'm a full time stoner! True dat. I'd argue that I'm probably at the best part of my life at the moment tbh!
    There are always exceptions to the rule, of course. Some people drink like alcoholics but still function well.

ReputationRep:
    There are always exceptions to the rule, of course. Some people drink like alcoholics but still function well.
    See, I'd argue that there is no rule when it comes to tokers.

I'm friends with loads of 'em, and for the most party we're a happy go lucky bunch with good work ethics and rather lovely lives. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in here is talking about smoking weed as if it's the only way to consume the cannabis plant. If anything it is the least healthy way. I personally vaporise, this way not using any tobacco or make canna oil which can be used in cooking.
    Alcohol is by far more dangerous than weed. Weed has been used for hundreds of years for its medicinal benefits and relaxing properties. That's not to say its for everyone. Some people can't control themselves an let it overtake their life however that is no reason for it to be legal. A higher percentage of both tobacco and alcohol users are considered dependant in comparison to weed. Weed is not physically addictive like tobacco yet tobacco is legal as the government can legally tax it and it is difficult to grow the tobacco plant meaning it is hard for people to have their own supply. Weed on the other hand can be grown with very little knowledge within about 4 months.

Beyond that it has been shown to help people with anxiety, insomnia, nausea, lack of appetite, depression and the list goes on.
    Weed is only a gateway drug if you open the gate and step out of the playground

Edit: Weed has not been shown to cause a single death however caffiene, asprin, alcohol, tobacco and many other legally obtained drugs have been the cause of deaths. Its virtually impossible to overdose on THC (the primary psychoactive chemical in weed.

ReputationRep:
    Weed is not addictive? Tell that to the people I know whose lives have literally gone down the ****ter because they started smoking weed, and they won't stop. Someone I care about very much literally fiends for weed, and used to smoke it even when it made her throw up!

Maybe it's not physiologically addictive, but at the very least, the actions/habit of it is. People can get addicted to anything.
    By your logic everything should be banned then. People should show self control. Their lives did not go down the ****ter because they started smoking weed. It went down because they exercised no self control. Not everyone reacts the same to drugs, for instance I know not to have any caffeine after midday or it will wreck my sleep pattern. Being educated on drugs is far more beneficial to society than making them illegal, especially when they have very real and proven benefits associated with them. You would be surprised by how many drink alcohol and cigarettes without having the full information of the risks involved. I would put that down to crappy PHSE lessons that my generation received in high school.

(Original post by mikeyd85)
    See, I'd argue that there is no rule when it comes to tokers.

I'm friends with loads of 'em, and for the most party we're a happy go lucky bunch with good work ethics and rather lovely lives. :yep:
    Definitely with you on this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Same old story I've seen time and time again. And still they preach on about weed being amazing and the best thing ever. Enjoy your 30th birthday with no job and nothing to show, dude.
    I hope that's not directed at me :rolleyes:
    I'm doing perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    I always thought there wasn't.

I know there is a lethal dose in cats.
    There's a lethal dose in just about every animal they've tested it on, including rats which are apparently the most similar animal to us that they're allowed to test on.
    No human has ever died, but if you look at the nervous system effects in all of these other animals and the detection of the cannabinoid receptors with a radioactive tag, you can see that there would be a lethal dose, but it's incredibly high based on the fact that is has to act on other neurotransmitters in a big way, which it doesn't always do.
    The fact that the first biproduct of the liver's metabolism of THC is more psychotropic than THC doesn't (or does, depending on your perspective) help.

Basically, the chances of anyone who uses pot at the rate that they do now overdosing is pretty much 0, but it is possible if you took enough in a small enough amount of time (probably more like having to inject pure THC, the current plants wouldn't have enough, although selective breeding means it's getting more and more, but still probably not that much), it is still possible. There is a figure, but not one anyone really needs to worry about.

I'm not trying to make weed seem worse than alcohol, it's almost certain that there's no debate here, I'm just pointing out that it isn't perfect like some people like to think it is. I think the fact that David Nutt and his team classified it as 11/20 illustrates that well. I don't think class B makes sense, but if it were to be legalised I'd like to see it tightly controlled, over 21 and a maximum buy at a time, with strict legislation about what you can while intoxicated (like we do with alcohol). But I'm not sure many people would disagree with much of that.

Also, this isn't really all that related to the thread, but I'm kind of feeling great about the exam that I have to know this for on Tuesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    so what do you think?
    It doesn't really matter. It's stupid to smoke because it kills your body and can give you lung cancer.

It's only advisable to drink in moderation and occasionally as drink poisons your liver.

People who constantly have toxins in their system will suffer in mind and body.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From experiences with a close friend, 'weed' has had a shocking effect on his personality and general behaviour; not to mention the fact that all his money is spent on it.

In terms of health, alcohol is more dangerous - though both are obviously quite harmful to the body.

ReputationRep:
    This is a very interesting forum. I have a 16 year old son, who has been smoking cannabis regularly for the last 6 to 9 months. I worry about him so much. He is right in the middle of his GCSE`s[he had an exam just this morning]. He is naturally quite lazy anyway, and although extremely clever, has had to be pushed by me his whole life to go to school /do his homework, etc. Taking 7 GCSE`s, and should get mostly B`s and maybe one A grade. Has enrolled on a BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care course in Sept, which is equivalent to 3 `A`Levels. You may all be thinking, great, so what`s his mother worried about? He has no motivation or interest in anything, and all he seems to care about is hanging around with his 2 mates and the 3 of them get stoned. Several times a week. Every week. I know for a fact if I wasn`t pushing him, he would happily lie about the house doing f**k all for the rest of his life. His dad died when he was 10, and was a chronic alcoholic. I am a teetotaller. My son tells me[and I believe him]that he will never, ever touch alcohol, as he`s seen too much crap with his dad over the years, and it has put him off alcohol for life. The scumbag drug dealer he and his mates buy the cannabis off, if he doesn`t have the money on him, the guy lets them pay him the following week. Of course, it`s me who gives him the money. I`m frightened that if i don`t and he owes the drug dealer, say, £30, that if he doesn`t get his money, he will beat my son up.My son is very gentle and easy going and i don`t think has ever got into a fight with anyone his whole life.He`s just not the type. So the thought of some bloke[who i assume is older than my son], potentially harming him over my son owing him £20 or £30 frightens me to death. So I give in and give him the money. Except for today, that is.He told me this evening he was going out to his friend`s house and would be back later. I knew what this meant. I gave him just a fiver for the bus down and the taxi back later on, but told him straight i am not going to give him any more money for drugs, and that i was sorry, but call it tough love; if he gets some cannabis off someone and can`t afford to pay for it and the dealer ends up giving my son a black eye, then so be it. Am i doing the right thing? Maybe i should have taken this tough stance from the start. What the poster said about his friend failing Uni really struck a chord with me. My son wants to be a social worker one day.

ReputationRep:
    This is a very interesting forum. I have a 16 year old son, who has been smoking cannabis regularly for the last 6 to 9 months. I worry about him so much. He is right in the middle of his GCSE`s[he had an exam just this morning]. He is naturally quite lazy anyway, and although extremely clever, has had to be pushed by me his whole life to go to school /do his homework, etc. Taking 7 GCSE`s, and should get mostly B`s and maybe one A grade. Has enrolled on a BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care course in Sept, which is equivalent to 3 `A`Levels. You may all be thinking, great, so what`s his mother worried about? He has no motivation or interest in anything, and all he seems to care about is hanging around with his 2 mates and the 3 of them get stoned. Several times a week. Every week. I know for a fact if I wasn`t pushing him, he would happily lie about the house doing f**k all for the rest of his life. His dad died when he was 10, and was a chronic alcoholic. I am a teetotaller. My son tells me[and I believe him]that he will never, ever touch alcohol, as he`s seen too much crap with his dad over the years, and it has put him off alcohol for life. The scumbag drug dealer he and his mates buy the cannabis off, if he doesn`t have the money on him, the guy lets them pay him the following week. Of course, it`s me who gives him the money. I`m frightened that if i don`t and he owes the drug dealer, say, £30, that if he doesn`t get his money, he will beat my son up.My son is very gentle and easy going and i don`t think has ever got into a fight with anyone his whole life.He`s just not the type. So the thought of some bloke[who i assume is older than my son], potentially harming him over my son owing him £20 or £30 frightens me to death. So I give in and give him the money. Except for today, that is.He told me this evening he was going out to his friend`s house and would be back later. I knew what this meant. I gave him just a fiver for the bus down and the taxi back later on, but told him straight i am not going to give him any more money for drugs, and that i was sorry, but call it tough love; if he gets some cannabis off someone and can`t afford to pay for it and the dealer ends up giving my son a black eye, then so be it. Am i doing the right thing? Maybe i should have taken this tough stance from the start. What the poster said about his friend failing Uni really struck a chord with me. My son wants to be a social worker one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holotruth org uk)
    It doesn't really matter. It's stupid to smoke because it kills your body and can give you lung cancer.

It's only advisable to drink in moderation and occasionally as drink poisons your liver.

People who constantly have toxins in their system will suffer in mind and body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    there are loads of things people eat, drink, take into their body and do such as eating fatty food and driving cars etc. (obesity is getting worse in britain... and cars crashes are high but both are considered normal

So people will always do dangerous things.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.