Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So worried cause there is no way to exactly predict what's to come, especially for Paper 1 and therefore the need to revise almost the WHOLE course note is mind draining :/ !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrissyH)
    All of my notes seem to have disapparated where are you Industry, can't find my South Wales notes anywhere...
    I do south wales too!! Our industry teacher was crap though so I know nothing about industry whatsoever :lol: And also urban, I have no notes on urban crying I guess I'll just have to write my own from sources

ReputationRep:
    This sounds really stupid but are strip cropping and strip cultivation the same thing? I have a really crappy teacher, who literally refused to teach us. I am at that stage where nothing makes sense And what does it mean by diversification of farming types in Rural Land Degradation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSM1996)
    I do south wales too!! Our industry teacher was crap though so I know nothing about industry whatsoever :lol: And also urban, I have no notes on urban crying I guess I'll just have to write my own from sources
    http://edubuzz.org/northberwickhigh/...odelAnswer.doc

Amazing model answers for Urban!!!

ReputationRep:
    Paper 1

Compulsory Questions

Hydrosphere
    Lithosphere
    Urban
    Rural

Other Questions

Biosphere
    Atmosphere
    Industry
    Population

Paper 2

Q1. Coastal, but i hope for Glaciation

ReputationRep:
    2008, 2010, 2011, were all sand dune/climax questions for Biosphere and last year was the first one for ages on soil so I think it may be soil again which would be great!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing biosphere and atmosphere revision today. Well I'll do biosphere then probably half of atmosphere! I just canny do atmosphere which seems to be common among most people. Oh well. I think it will be the compulsory question 1 this year because I doubt they would have it as optional two years in a row!

Praying for like a 16 mark sand dune question

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have a model answer for the political question in RBM?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing biosphere and atmosphere revision today. Well I'll do biosphere then probably half of atmosphere! I just canny do atmosphere which seems to be common among most people. Oh well. I think it will be the compulsory question 1 this year because I doubt they would have it as optional two years in a row!

Praying for like a 16 mark sand dune question
    Hydrosphere map question and formation + sand dune=

ReputationRep:
    Hydrosphere map question and formation + sand dune=
    I think this year it will be formation of a waterfall, i don't know what with! I'm hoping a river, but it may not be!

ReputationRep:
    I think this year it will be formation of a waterfall, i don't know what with! I'm hoping a river, but it may not be!
    Waterfall would also be bliss.

ReputationRep:
    Is formation of waterfall the question where you draw diagram of waterfall and annotate it?

ReputationRep:
    Waterfall would also be bliss.
    I'd prefer a meander, but you canny complain about a waterfall

(Original post by hendycfc)
    Is formation of waterfall the question where you draw diagram of waterfall and annotate it?
    You would draw a diagram and annotate it, but the marks are in your description. Remember to describe the processes. Don't just say "hydraulic action breaks rock" say what hydraulic action is and you will get a mark!

ReputationRep:
    Just started revising geography today and I think thats me learned Development and Health good 50 marks in the bag!

ReputationRep:
    Starting geography today, I know most of it but I don't know anything about sand dunes, I have no notes on that. Anyone know where I can get decent stuff on sand dunes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfalimaindia)
    Starting geography today, I know most of it but I don't know anything about sand dunes, I have no notes on that. Anyone know where I can get decent stuff on sand dunes?
    Here's a model answer for "Describe and give reasons for the changes in plant types likely to be observed across the transect as you move inland from the coast" type question:

Strandlind: Sea Rocket
    These are salt-tolerant species which can withstand the effects of sand and wind. Some can even withstand periodic immersion in sea water. The presence of these plants leads to further deposition of sand and the establishment of Lyme Grass. The high pH is due to the high concentration of shell fragments.

Embryo Dune: Lyme Grass
    This dune pioneer species can grow side roots and underground stems which bind the sand together. These grassy plants too, can withstand temporary immersions of sea water. Some species found on the Strandline are also found on the Embyro Dunes.

Fore Dune: Sea Holly
    A slightly higher humus content and less salt content allows these plants to stabilise the dune, and allow the establishments of more plants such as Marram Grass which is a key plant in the build up of a sand dune.

Yellow Dune: Marram Grass
    Both the humus content and the acidity have increased at this point. Marram grass can withstand periodic immersion of sea water, as deposition of sand increases, Marram retaliates by more rapid growth. It can even align itself with the prevailing wind to reduce moisture loss. It has long rooms which go out to a water source. It is xerophytic, which means it can survive in very dry conditions, it is the most dominant species on the Yellow Dune.

Grey Dunes and Slacks: Heather
    As a result of the increased organic content, greater shelter, and a damper soil, a wider range of plants can thrice here. Marram dies back to be replaced by other Grasses, and Sand Sedge. As a result of leaching and build-up of humus, the soil content is more acidic again supporting a wider plant community. In the wetter slacks, close to the water table, several water loving species may survive. E.g. various reeds and rushes.

Climax
    In some areas heathland may dominate with a range of heathers being prominent, whilst in the shell rich areas such as the Western Isles, Machairs may develop. Eventually trees such as birch or pine could establish a foothold.

ReputationRep:
    For u guys doing South Wales. Last year's question was the Reasons for the fall in Industry and Socio+Economic decline which means all u need to learn this year are ur human+physical factors, ur new industrial landscape. Governments inflencing industrial change. I have past papers from 2000 or something. They NEVER ask same questions in Geo in a row. There's only 6 questions they can ask and 2 of those came up last year)

ReputationRep:
    I hate Geography sooo much. The thought of having to do Advanced Higher next year is making me sick... bleh

143/200 for an A last year.
    I hope it'll be similar this year.
    This means that if we get 90+% in paper 2, we only need to have half of the paper 1 correct. Not too bad I guess...
    Especially bearing in mind that questions in paper 2 are identical almost every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    I hate Geography sooo much. The thought of having to do Advanced Higher is making me sick... bleh
    I'm doing Advanced Higher too - the final exams only worth 30% of our grade though so thats why I took it

Also for anyone who needs case study notes on South Wales I can upload them later on today, as I need to scan them first. My notes normally get me full marks so I guess they're pretty reliable

ReputationRep:
    What do people usually do for a Limestone Landscape question (Rural Land Resources), like how many features and which ones?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.