The Student Room Group

POST-MORTEM: AQA Additional Science Biology B2 (May 2013)

Scroll to see replies

For the last two questions I said that there was less Glucose as there was no food to absorb glucose from and then for the last one I put the pancreas detected the fall in glucose concs and released hormone for Liver cells to convert the Glucagon back into glucose thus there was more glucose coming back from the liver.
Original post by HugeBicepLAD
Let's talk grade boundaries, I think:
A* - 45
A - 36
B - 24

yh i agree, i personally think it will be lower than 50 marks for the A*, somthing like 45/46
Reply 82
Original post by CathRM26
wow. I was so confused on that one. I wrote:

1. They can control the amount of glucose using the valve. This controls the amount of fructose produced (total bs)
2. The costs of powering a mixer are reduced and less fuel is used to power so it is more economically and environmentally sustainable.

ugh, I hated this paper.

I put:

You can control the rate of glucose (considering it was labelled on the diagram) so you would not waste any glucose.

It is more cost-effective.

Would that be correct?
Reply 83
I put:

You can control the rate of glucose (considering it was labelled on the diagram) so you would not waste any glucose.

It is more cost-effective.

Would that be correct??
How's everyone feeling about chemistry?
Reply 85
I'm still really confused about the very last question (why the offspring couldn't produce sexually), and talking to the rest of my class, very few people got it, so maybe our teacher just didn't mention it XD Overall it was a pretty good paper, but that question about the squares on the quadrat...I think it may just be the most ridiculous question known to man, it has nothing to do with biology :smile: And then when they asked me to explain how I got my answer, I had no idea what to write other that I counted the whole sqaures then just tried to see how the other squares fitted together :P Still, it wasn't too bad I guess, and the three mark question was pretty decent, so not too bad overall.
Reply 86
Most people got 4, 8, 12 for the gamete questions on the second last page. But I did something stupid and got 2, 4 and then 6. That's because I thought it said that the chromosomes had been replicated so for meiosis there would be a double division. So I divided the numbers twice. I think I'm probably wrong because no one got what I got. Can someone explain to me why it was 4, 8 and 12 though?
Reply 87
Original post by techno-thriller
How's everyone feeling about chemistry?

Thinking about starting revision soon. It's not toooo late is it?
Original post by AparnaX
about starting revision soon. It's not toooo late is it?

hell no do 1 section a day from today
Reply 89
Was I the only one who got 7.5 for the quadrats question? Because it seems like everyone else got either 7 or 8, did it have to be a whole number?
What answer did everybody get for the last question regarding why interbreeding would not work?
Original post by AbathaZoe
Was I the only one who got 7.5 for the quadrats question? Because it seems like everyone else got either 7 or 8, did it have to be a whole number?

Sir, I too got 6.5. I hope that decimal numbers will be acceptable. It appears the value was within the region of 6-8.
Reply 92
i was sooo confused by the quadrats i had some vague memory of a teach tell us that if its part of of a square then you count the whole square :/
Reply 93
I put 8 everyone else I asked put 6,8 or 12
Reply 94
Original post by LjWol
hahaa:biggrin: i put your exact same first point in a mad panic to write anything :') but my second point was that the beads would have a larger surface area (absolute bs!) for the isomerase to work on! ohhh dear :rolleyes:

i said so it could be continious process :confused:
So are we thinking that grade boundaries will be relatively low?!? I mean looking at all the other summer grade boundaries they seem pretty low...
Reply 96
I think i was actually just staring at the chromosome question for 5 mins thinking ...where do i actually write my answer>.< and then i saw a little box :3
(edited 10 years ago)
Well I f***ed up on the gametes question and put 8, 16 + 24...don't know why -.- but overall the paper wasn't too challenging, I'd say around 45 will be an A* and I reckon I got about 49...need to make up for my 45 (was a mid A) in chemistry so I can push for an A*. Don't you think the grade boundary for January's Chem paper where high compared to biology boundaries?:s
Original post by dannywelbeck123
Difficult exam..
Favorite question - 3 marks for for completing the blanks in the photosynthesis equation.

Worst Question - The HEXA DNA one.. not good

HEXA Dna one was:
If DNA changed/mutated then the order of bases would change.
The order of bases codes for a specific protein to be made in the ribosomes, so the mutation would result in a different combination of amino acids when making the HEXA enzyme, the HEXA enzyme wouldn't have right shape to function.
Original post by Hgat
Exactly what I said

I wrote that so the isomerase could be reused and that the solution will be completely pure...but thinking about it the second one seems like bs but I couldn't think:frown:

Quick Reply