Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it a waste of public money that an MP calls for gay marriage referendum? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    Not even worth wasting time answering.
    You made a statement, were asked to clarify it, and now you refuse to answer. If you can't justify statements, don't make them.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    edie: whoops never mind

ReputationRep:
    No it's not a waste of money, imagine if you weren't allowed to get married for literally NO ****ING REASON. Why does bull**** like this even have to cost money. Simple and basic equality, to deny it is abhorrent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathhead)
    No it's not a waste of money, imagine if you weren't allowed to get married for literally NO ****ING REASON. Why does bull**** like this even have to cost money. Simple and basic equality, to deny it is abhorrent.
    but the majority voted for it in pariliament, so odds are it's going to get passed into law anyway, why spend money on a referendum when you're probably going to get the same result? A referendum would just slow things down, look how long its taken them to organise the referendum for the EU and they've scheduled it for four years from now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    You mean you don't have an answer.
    No, I mean just exactly what I said - "Not even worth wasting time answering".

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how much it would cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    You made a statement, were asked to clarify it, and now you refuse to answer. If you can't justify statements, don't make them.
    I can't make it any clearer than it already is/was - and there is nothing in that particular point that I wish to justify.

ReputationRep:
    Simple and basic equality, to deny it is abhorrent.
    To deny having a referendum is abhorrent you mean?

ReputationRep:
    No, I mean just exactly what I said - "Not even worth wasting time answering".
    I would have thought that whether and how this might be a "sweeping social change" was a very important, if not the most important question in the whole debate. Your reluctance to give an answer is puzzling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    2013 - Good year for a referendum on gay marriage
    Remember to sign the Coalition for Marriage petition if you "support the legal definition of marriage which is the voluntary union for life of one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others" and "oppose any attempt to redefine it."

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know how changing that definition is seeping social change. Is it symbolic for you, or do you worry there will be empirically measurable impact and change (and if so, what)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying plum)
    I'd like to know how changing that definition is seeping social change. Is it symbolic for you, or do you worry there will be empirically measurable impact and change (and if so, what)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I doubt most of the population will even notice. Excepting registrars, same-sex couples, and couples where one or both partners is trans it will make little or no difference to anybody's life or work.

ReputationRep:
    Remember to sign the Coalition for Marriage petition if you "support the legal definition of marriage which is the voluntary union for life of one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others" and "oppose any attempt to redefine it."
    Except that currently isn't the legal definition of marriage in the UK, only part of it. The whole legal definition includes all the various criteria, procedure, etc. And legally it isn't for life because you can get a divorce.

Plus, a 'union' of what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    To deny having a referendum is abhorrent you mean?
    No to deny gay marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaHillier)
    The right to family life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And marriage is essential to a family, why?

ReputationRep:
    No to deny gay marriage.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    Why?
    I disagree with denying gay marriage. It's a basic human right in my personal opinion. I fail see any differences between it and normal marriage or any problems that can arise. It's obviously going to be allowed eventually when prejudice finally dies off.

EDIT: Like really what is the ****ing problem that people have other than their own opinions they have been conditioned into thinking, I actually find it ridiculous.

For religions that deny it, then fair enough, but gay people are apparently going to burn in hell anyway so why not let them get married too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaHillier)
    The right to family life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What a stupid comment. You don't need to be married to have a family life. The right to family life isn't even a fundamental right anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with denying gay marriage. It's a basic human right in my personal opinion. I fail see any differences between it and normal marriage or any problems that can arise. It's obviously going to be allowed eventually when prejudice finally dies off.
    Why can marriage be justified as a basic human right?

EDIT: Like really what is the ****ing problem that people have other than their own opinions they have been conditioned into thinking, I actually find it ridiculous.

For religions that deny it, then fair enough, but gay people are apparently going to burn in hell anyway so why not let them get married too.
    For those that consider it a sin, ask them "Why should we punish murderers, there going to burn in hell anyway?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    Why can marriage be justified as a basic human right?
    It's widely accepted as being one. It's in the UDHR, ECHR, EU CFR, ICCPR, ICESCR etc. In some conventions (usually the older ones) the wording is specifically "man and woman", in others it's more neutral.

Such conventions mostly incorporate wording regarding the convention being able to extend rights by way of reinterpretation, but not restrict them except as expressly provided. The "man and woman" language found in the UDHR, for example, is therefore not a bar to interpreting human rights conventions as providing for same-sex marriage.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.