Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you are English, do you support Scottish independence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths Tutor)
    [/B]

As this thread is seeking the English point of view, I will just highlight your English view of Scots.
    And here we go. Maths Tutor is now feeling victimised.

I've told him before, he needs to travel a bit. See the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths Tutor)
    [/B]

As this thread is seeking the English point of view, I will just highlight your English view of Scots.
    And as I suspected you are too stupid to realise that was a joke. But don't worry, I know that most Scottish people are not as stupid as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    And as I suspected you are too stupid to realise that was a joke. But don't worry, I know that most Scottish people are not as stupid as you.
    Uh-oh, Maths Tutor has arrived. CLOSE THE THREAD!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gordon1985)
    I think Scottish independence could be a good thing for England. But, to be honest, it probably wouldn't make a great deal of difference. Scottish MPs have never once affected the outcome of a British general election, despite what some newspaper articles say, and Scotland only makes up 8% of the population of the UK.

I do think the two examples you chose are pretty poor. The Scottish tourism industry makes up for 22% of the British tourism industry, almost 3 times more than it's population share.

As for univeristies, England has 7 in the top 100 ranked in the world, Scotland has 1. Considering that England has more than 10 times, the population of Scotland, it's another area Scotland punches above it's weight compared to England, although both countries are incredibley strong in this area. Looking at science, Scotland has 3 of the top 100 universities in the world, only Switzerland can bost a higher number per capita. England is 3d or 4th I believe.
    Yeah, and Edinburgh is 32nd. really high, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The English support for Scottish independence seems to be very much of a "oh, fook off" variety. It's not positive, it's not got any sort of pleasant objectives, it's just impotent frustration with a - perceived - rejection by Scots (whilst, of course, we're only talking about a minority who get a disproportionate amount of coverage of their views).
    And? it's not for you to say what people can or cannot believe, is it?
    If you want to actually do this, make a case for a modern English nationalism. I'll still reject it, but at least it'd seem that you actually believed in something. Just to let you know - Scottish independence wouldn't dissolve the UK, there'd still another three component parts left.
    Your pedantry aside, I believe all constituent countries should become sovereign states.
    Anyway, yes, Glasgow and Strathclyde universities are quite high up the league tables, along with Edinburgh and St Andrews and a number of other universities in Scotland. What relevance this has to anything is beyond me.
    Yes, and Scotland only has one university in the top 100 in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Staceyc1990)
    There seems to be so many english people who think we are all desperate to leave.. I actually dont know anybody who does. Everybody I've spoke to have said NO or are undecided. Nobody seems to trust Alex salmond
    A vote for independence isn't a vote for Alex Salmond.

Anyway, what do you think Alex Salmond and the SNP party have done wrong? I'm guessing you're not in favour of your free university education or free prescription charges.

I find it funny that people say that the SNP play on the voters' national identity, yet it seems like everyone else are wanting to the union otherwise they won't feel British anymore. Similarly, the Better Together's facebook page has the pound as their backdrop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I don't count London as the South

London is London. I consider it a region in its own right.
    I don't give a **** about your personal definitions. London is geographically in the south, hence my comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wortandbeer)
    Yeah, and Edinburgh is 32nd. really high, eh?
    Depends on which rankings you look at. In the QS rankings, Edinburgh is 21st. English people think highly enough of Edinburgh to study there in pretty large numbers.

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a **** about your personal definitions. London is geographically in the south, hence my comments.
    Ok, I suppose I should have been more specific in my original post. I meant the South East + South West regions as they are used in EU elections (and for various other purposes). London is not in either of those, it's a region in its own right.

If you lump London in with them, then why not lump Newcastle in with Scotland? They are both geographically in the north after all.

ReputationRep:
    And? it's not for you to say what people can or cannot believe, is it?
    It's for me to say which views are reasonable or rational, certainly.

Your pedantry aside, I believe all constituent countries should become sovereign states.
    Well then make a case for English nationalism, not Scottish independence.

Yes, and Scotland only has one university in the top 100 in the world.
    Scotland has a range of excellent universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The Conservatives fluctuate between about 13 and 20% in Scotland in recent years.
    That's quite interesting because of all the rubbish propaganda about 'Scots never vote Tory' when in reality support is rather like the equivalent of the Lib Dems in England, and while we joke about Lib Dems not being able to challenge Labour or Conservatives, you don't get any bull**** here about 'Lib Dems are alien to England'.

Obviously, now with UKIP pushing more in Scotland, it'll be funny to see Salmond's protest vote get cut up, along with protest voting looking less of a separatist vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)

Obviously, now with UKIP pushing more in Scotland, it'll be funny to see Salmond's protest vote get cut up, along with protest voting looking less of a separatist vote.
    So Nigel Farage making a trip to Edinburgh constitutes a UKIP 'push' in Scotland? UKIP won something like 0.28% of the vote last time in Scotland and whilst that's likely to rise due to increased UK coverage (it couldn't exactly fall much) I doubt they will ever become significant here any time soon, like they have in England.

Do you understand what a protest vote even is. The SNP do much better in Scottish elections than UK elections. They are the governing party in the Scottish Parliament and have been since 2007. They significantly increased their %age of the vote and number of MSPs in 2011. You don't protest vote against a sitting government. When was the last time a sitting UK govt increased their share of the vote?

The SNPs vote has remianed fairly static in UK elections. If people wanted to vote SNP as a protest, that's where they'd do it. UK elections have become completely secondary to the SNP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    The South of England put up with it for many years with a Labour government. And unlike Scotland, it doesn't have it's own government.
    Didn't Blair only get into power due to a substantial swing towards New Labour by Southern voters though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Didn't Blair only get into power due to a substantial swing towards New Labour by Southern voters though?
    Maybe, but looking at the map of the 1997 results, it still looks like it was clearly Conservative majority. Can't find a proper breakdown of the results though, looking at a regular map is always misleading because Labour support tends to be in more densely populated areas.

As I said above, I'm taking "the South" to mean the South East and South West regions collectively. That doesn't include London which does often have a lot of support for Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gordon1985)
    So Nigel Farage making a trip to Edinburgh constitutes a UKIP 'push' in Scotland? UKIP won something like 0.28% of the vote last time in Scotland and whilst that's likely to rise due to increased UK coverage (it couldn't exactly fall much) I doubt they will ever become significant here any time soon, like they have in England.
    In the Euro elections they got over 5% - which is one in twenty voters. Not to be sniffed at really, considering their relatively poor organisation up here. They can do a lot better if they get their tactics in order. There are thousands upon thousands of people who vote UKIP, and even more who probably would at a push.

You don't protest vote against a sitting government.
    I'm not sure I agree with that. Scotland is a weird and fascinating place, electorally. The SNP voters haven't necessarily appreciated the SNP's establishment role. Oddly enough, neither have the SNP. They still act like an opposition party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    That's quite interesting because of all the rubbish propaganda about 'Scots never vote Tory' when in reality support is rather like the equivalent of the Lib Dems in England, and while we joke about Lib Dems not being able to challenge Labour or Conservatives, you don't get any bull**** here about 'Lib Dems are alien to England'.
    Quite. It's an intolerant, superior load of Scottish political rubbish. Merrily take every nationalist argument and defecate over it - that's all they're good for.

Well, how they play remains to be seen.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland deserves to be independent! It is unpatriotic to say Scotland cannot survive independence. If you truly love your country, then giver her a chance to prosper.

http://nationalcollective.com/2013/0...yths-debunked/

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it will do Scotland any favours to be independent, and for the hardship it would put them through, the point of principle is not worth going through with. Having said that, they should have the right to vote and choose for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    mhm

ReputationRep:
    The Scots need independence. They have a nice buffer of North Sea oil that could see them through for half a century. If it goes wrong they could form a close association with England leading to re-integration.

The main people who are opposed to Independence are people like Charlie Kennedy, David Cameron and Alistair Darling: Scots who get their kick out of English politics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.