Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi guys,

When I was 16 I became very ill with a very rare blood condition called Aplastic Anemia. My original treatment failed, so when I was 17 I had to have a Bone Marrow Transplant.

I have had over 200 blood and platelet transfusions so to all you blood donors I want to say a Big

THANK YOU!!

As without people like you I fear I would be long cold in the grave.

If you guys could do me a favour and next time you give blood if you could ask to become a bone marrow donor and become a part of this

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/bonemarrow/

alternatively if you don't give blood can you please join The Anthony Nolan Trust:

http://www.anthonynolan.org/

For the Anthony Nolan Trust you get sent a bottle which you have to spit in and then send that off. They then analyze your proteins in your spit and add you to their data base. No blood and no needles!!

Thank you guys, I can not appreciate blood donors enough!!

You might save someone closer to you than you might think.

P.s. Any questions (within reason) I'll happily answer either on this thread or PM me

(Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    I was supposed to give blood last week but couldn't because I had taken antibiotics before the 7 day window I aim to give blood when the next event is on, though. I also want to give platelets, and I am considering bone marrow (only if they don't drill, though). I am also on the organ donor register and want to donate my brain to research :-)
    80% of BM donations are now done by taking stem cells out of your blood - very much like giving blood

The other way which comes out of your back - I had some of my bone marrow taken in that way to test it - honestly it isnt that bad - its done in your back and aches for 3 or 4 days, before you're back to normal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamaicafan)
    You are advised to avoid strenuous activities and exercise for the rest of the day and to drink plenty of (non-alcoholic) fluids but other than that you can carry on with your day and life as normal.

I've given blood 25 times (I'm old) and hope to continue to do so as often as I can for as long as I can. If you book an appointment, then can skip a lot of the queues and be done in 30 minutes or so.

To those scared of needles or blood, you don't have to look if you don't want to - I do but I'm slightly odd.
    ah ok thanks, and can it actually save lives??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyre2)
    ah ok thanks, and can it actually save lives??
    See the post just above yours - yes, it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    See the post just above yours - yes, it does.
    Ah cool i really want to do this now! I wonder what my family would make of it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    The other way which comes out of your back - I had some of my bone marrow taken in that way to test it - honestly it isnt that bad - its done in your back and aches for 3 or 4 days, before you're back to normal
    Just to add, if you donate bone marrow through the surgical method it's done under a general anaesthetic unlike the bone marrow biopsies which are usually just done with local.

I've seen a lad donate to his sister this way and he was up and about as soon he had woke and was more bothered about his sister. Said he felt like he's been in a rough game of rugby or something.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Just to add, if you donate bone marrow through the surgical method it's done under a general anaesthetic unlike the bone marrow biopsies which are usually just done with local.

I've seen a lad donate to his sister this way and he was up and about as soon he had woke and was more bothered about his sister. Said he felt like he's been in a rough game of rugby or something.
    Thats exactly how I'd describe it!

ReputationRep:
    I've always been interested in giving blood and I'm really happy you started this thread! I can't currently give blood because I'm taking antibiotics but as soon as I'm given the green light, I'll definitely do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topaz_eyes)
    Don't worry about not knowing anything, no-one does when they start! It's their job to be nice to you as you're donating your time and blood
    I couldn't tell you how many times I've given blood and I still don't know a thing! Not even my blood type. I've never booked in either other if I've walked into a place and they've asked me to return in a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Hi guys,

When I was 16 I became very ill with a very rare blood condition called Aplastic Anemia. My original treatment failed, so when I was 17 I had to have a Bone Marrow Transplant.

I have had over 200 blood and platelet transfusions so to all you blood donors I want to say a Big

THANK YOU!!

As without people like you I fear I would be long cold in the grave.

If you guys could do me a favour and next time you give blood if you could ask to become a bone marrow donor and become a part of this

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/bonemarrow/

alternatively if you don't give blood can you please join The Anthony Nolan Trust:

http://www.anthonynolan.org/

For the Anthony Nolan Trust you get sent a bottle which you have to spit in and then send that off. They then analyze your proteins in your spit and add you to their data base. No blood and no needles!!

Thank you guys, I can not appreciate blood donors enough!!

You might save someone closer to you than you might think.

P.s. Any questions (within reason) I'll happily answer either on this thread or PM me

80% of BM donations are now done by taking stem cells out of your blood - very much like giving blood

<3

Thanks for the info too!

ReputationRep:
    I want to give blood but i had blood extracted in A&E once and i just hated it so much, it makes me feel ill thinking about it. I'm a bad person.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a massive fan of the needles, but I do it anyway. If you ever feel dizzy they nurses are fantastic and they next time you give blood they know and care.

Also, they get blood you get free food. It's WIN-WIN SITUATION PEOPLE

ReputationRep:
    I'm so annoyed, I'd love to give blood but I don't think I can because I had a blood transfusion when I was a baby! It just shows how important giving blood is I suppose

ReputationRep:
    This is something I definitely want to do in future, well done for doing it OP! If only more people did it!

ReputationRep:
    I would really love to give blood, but I had a blood transfusion when I was a few days old. Although having spoken to some people, it's been suggested that because I only had a very small amount it could be ok? Or is that nonsense? I would love to know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice_95)
    I would really love to give blood, but I had a blood transfusion when I was a few days old. Although having spoken to some people, it's been suggested that because I only had a very small amount it could be ok? Or is that nonsense? I would love to know for sure.
    (Original post by chloew345)
    I'm so annoyed, I'd love to give blood but I don't think I can because I had a blood transfusion when I was a baby! It just shows how important giving blood is I suppose
    Unfortunately, you can't give blood if you've received blood since 1980, even if it was a long time ago or very little. (From here: http://blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/...nt-give-blood/ - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

It just makes it more important for those of us lucky enough to not need blood (yet) to give it away as much as we can!

C'mon, free food and saving someone's life, doesn't get much better than that. Oh, and you can eat extra cake the day after because replacing blood takes about 600 calories.

ReputationRep:
    Good on all of you who give blood. I am unable to, but someone saved my life after I needed several transfusions following the birth of my son.

My husband now goes fairly regularly and I will encourage my children to when they are older.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is giving me the fuzzy fluffies. <3 It's so nice to hear people come in who've actually benefited from my literal blood, sweat, and tears. (Well probably not my blood, but in general.)

ReputationRep:
    I've attempted to give blood a few times now but they never manage to find a vain in my arm, they say it's because I'm so young and my vains will surface as I get older! I just want to be able to donate though :/

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to donate blood, but I don't weigh enough. Is there a weight limit for bone marrow donation, do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't drunk anything all day so it took forever for it to get out, but apart from that it was fine

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.