Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ambulance. Twice. Once when i saw a car accident in town. Lots of other people called up too but i was the only one who knew the name of the street. Once when my best friend went into early lablur. Had to deliver the baby on her kitchen floor while they control centre staff gave me instructions. The staff are amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Labour! Sorry on my phone..

ReputationRep:
    I called 911 when I was trying to bypass a iphone lock. They called back and I said sorry wrong number

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, when I was 9 and home alone some men knocked on the door, didnt answer it because I was too busy watching TV and was told never to answer the door to anyone. Anyway, couple of minutes later they started to smash my door down so i grabbed the phone and went and hid under my bed and called the cops. The scariest thing was as they were robbing my house they saw the phone station and saw it was in use and so they went upstairs and found me, that was some scary ****, luckily they just done a runner.

ReputationRep:
    Had to call an ambulance after being knocked off my bike on Euston Road. After retrieving the bike and getting to the side of the road I realised my foot wasn't going to let me walk any further. Had to wait about an hour because I wasn't a serious injury/in a dangerous position but turned out my foot had broken in three places. Of course, the driver didn't stop to help. Had someone passing by sit with me until it arrived.

ReputationRep:
    Called for an ambulance for myself once. I had extreme abdominal pain, by far the most pain I've ever been in. Maybe I sounded too calm on the phone though, because they didn't want to send one out. Ended up getting my aunt to come and pick me and take me to hospital.

To be fair though, turns out they made the right call. I had a kidney stone which while it's extremely, extremely painful, it wasn't in any way life threatening. So in hindsight I didn't really need an ambulance.

ReputationRep:
    Twice. Once for police and then for an ambulance. Both were for muggings I'd witnessed. Pretty scary as when I called the police the guy doing the mugging clicked and started threatening me so I had to hang up. Police managed to get there though. After that I was approached several times in the street by the guy that did it with him threatening me and stuff - didn't help his court case as then he also got done for witness intimidation.

The paramedics were REALLY helpful, talked me through what to do and stayed on the line.

It can be a bit slow to get through sometimes but I've had an overall good impression of the 999 service.

ReputationRep:
    Never done and hopefully never will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entrepreneur123)
    Or 911 etc whatever applies to you

I was in the shower earlier having a think about life as you do, and it dawned on me that I've never had to call 999. I was just wondering if anyone else had to, and of so what for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've had to call the fire and ambulance service. I called the fire service once, and the ambulance service a few times. I tend to phone NHS Direct first, and then they say "Im sending an ambulance. If your condition doesn't improve, I want you to call 999"

I called 111 recently, for a friend of mine.

I called the fire brigade, because I was walking back from the gym and in the distance I saw a building on fire, so I called the fire services

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was almost in a serious car accident because of a guy driving dangerously and speeding (as in, doing well over 60) and he just kept going and sped off so I called the police but I was never called back to give a statement so I guess he wasn't caught.

ReputationRep:
    Three times. Once for the fire brigade when some chavs set fire to a fence and twice for a ambulence for my dad and an elderly gent who had a pretty bad fall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Police = Once for a pretty nasty domestic assault going on next door.

Ambulance = Once for a friend going into Anaphylaxis, once for a relative in respiratory distress and once in an official capacity for a guy that I was treating at a public event (head trauma, bleeding and confusion with a history of unconsciousness).

In general I found that it was pretty quick (you connect immediately) and whilst the sequence of questions is annoying (especially when you know what's wrong with the person and you don't want to waste time going through all the steps that they have to in order to triage over the phone) I can understand it and it's worth bearing in mind that the ambulance/patrol car is dispatched straight away and you aren't 'wasting time' by giving them additional information.

If you need more than one service then go through to either the police or ambulance (my advice would be prioritise police if there is a crime in progress/imminent danger to you or someone else - prioritise ambulance if there is no imminent danger of further violence but someone is seriously injured) and the call handler in ambulance/police control will liase with the other service for you

ReputationRep:
    I had to call them 3 times in the space of an hour once but it was part of a dare by my mates to prank call the Ambulance service.

ReputationRep:
    Twice: once because some kids were trying to set fire to a shelter late at night; once because I went to work ill, came out, and collapsed, unable to breathe.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah last year I was playing dance central on xbox kinect and dislocated my knee. Then on christmas day I fell down the stairs in a pair of heels and tore my ligaments in my foot.. I'm not the luckiest person ever tbf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trent23)
    I had to call them 3 times in the space of an hour once but it was part of a dare by my mates to prank call the Ambulance service.
    A dare? You and your friends are pathetic. Peoples lives could be at risk because ****ing morons like you waste their time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonVII)
    No, but an old man who my brother pranked called once did. A police office came round to the house.
    my brother once prank called the police from a phone box at the bottom of the road. Turns out there was a police car wrapping something else up nearby so they sent the police to the phone box to bring my brother home. Certainly taught him a lesson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomg)
    A dare? You and your friends are pathetic. Peoples lives could be at risk because ****ing morons like you waste their time.
    It was 3 years ago, looking back I now realise what a stupid thing it was to do. But at the time I was only 20, we all do stupid things when we are young. But we learn from our mistakes in life, its part of growing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckyyx)
    Not anything serious but when I was little - probably under 5, I was at my grans house and was playing with her phone (I was told all this, but I do remember punching in numbers allllll the time like 111 333 etc etc) ended up phoning 999 and when she came back in from hanging out the clothes she was slightly told off
    This more or less happened to me. I was 3 and at my Gran's playing with the phone. I rang 999 and didn't say anything and abruptly hung up, meaning the police came and knocked on the door. And, as if I knew what I had done, I hid behind the sofa for the police to then ultimately tell me and my Gran off.

ReputationRep:
    In hindsight people sayin do these really require an ambulance? My dislocation definitely. They put my knee in a splint and said usually the kneecap goes back in to place on it's own but mine didn't so had to be done at a hospital about an hour away. My torn ligaments probably didn't need an ambulance but at the time I thought I'd fractured it. My foot turned blue on one side and a ball like shape formed, was in agony. Gas & air both times

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.