Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whyllee)
    I think I lost 10 marks +/-1 mark will this be an A? PLEASE PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY! (roughly around 86%)
    I would definitely say yes

ReputationRep:
    i hope the grade boundaries don't shoot up to 60+ haha , this was a very nice paper (in comparison to jan 2013)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    MrM is an OCR examiner - he'll be able to tell you if you post your question here.
    If it multiplis out the same, your working is correct, and the final answer is the same you will obtain full credit.
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they could be above 60?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owl 1996)
    Thankyou
    No worries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdl)
    i would definitely say yes
    omg i love you you're the best ahhhhhhhhhhh xxxxxxxx !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam07)
    Do you think they could be above 60?
    What could be above 60? The A-Boundary?
    It's possible, though as it's apparently a difficult paper probably not.

ReputationRep:
    Bah humbug, docked about 15 marks here. Stupidly didn't read 5i) and did the whole area instead. But then calculated the triangle for the next bit in the next section. Didn't read 6ii) properly, I proved the equation, but didn't find n. Any guess to how many marks lost? I think about 2. Couldn't do 8ii). So another 5 marks. Arghhh, easy paper and 15 marks lost :mad:
    any guesses on grade boundries?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry [email protected] and Joostan, thanks for posting the grade boundaries all in one place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgtips372)
    Out of interest, am I the only one who put 19/10 as the area on q7ii)? Everyone seems to have got 37/30 and I'm one of only two people I know who got 19/10, but I can't see what I did wrong
    You used the x limit of the tangent as 1 instead of 5/3,

I made the same mistake and got 19/10 :P

ReputationRep:
    i really hope you guys as really smart as you have an account on here (jk) because people are saying its easy. i lost a max of 28 marks ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Integral - triangle of tangent with x-axis.
    Find tangent's equation:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \dfrac{dy}{dx} =\frac{3}{2}x^{\frac{1}{2}}

\mathrm{When} \ x = 4 \Rightarrow \dfrac{dy}{dx} = 3

\Rightarrow y - 7 = 3(x-4) \Rightarrow y = 3x - 5

y = 0 \Rightarrow x = \dfrac{5}{3}

Area:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A = 9\frac{2}{5} - \frac{1}{2}\times (4 - \frac{5}{3}) \times 7 

\Rightarrow A = \dfrac{47}{5} - \dfrac{49}{6} = \dfrac{37}{30}
    would differentiating get you 1 mark at least because i substituted in the wrong x value, so how many out of 5 would i get

(Original post by [email protected])
    7ii) 37/30 [5]
    Odd, I do remember getting 1.9 for that. How'd you come about that answer?

I worked out the gradient of the curve at that point, and applied it to the tangent. I worked out the equation of the tangent and then subtracted it from the upper curve in the integral.

I'm sure that's the right process, correct me if I'm wrong. Very possible I made some sort of goof in the process.

EDIT: Ignore the above, I didn't read the thread. I see where I went wrong.

I got 57, give or take 5 or so marks (I've made approximates on the method marks I'd get for some answers). This gives me in the range of the 79% with around 6/7% uncertainty either side - most likely negative. What are my chances of having got an A? It's not easy to see what they'll set the UMS boundaries at this time, seeing as it wasn't too difficult for a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    how do u do question 5?

(Original post by aran0909)
    how do u do question 5?
    For the first part you find the area of the sector, then subtract the area of the triangle ABD.

The area of a sector is r2/2 *
    θ, so128*0.8 (102.4cm2). Area of a triangle is ab/2 * sinC. So (16*7)/2 * sin0.8 which is equal to 40.2cm2. So 102.4-40.2 which is 62.2 cm2​.

ReputationRep:
    LOL you really scared me with those high grade boundaries >.>

ReputationRep:
    spent 10hrs on wed and thurs sitting on a chair doing past papers and I lost F***** 25-30 marks....fml. I thought if you put effort and work into something you get a good result. for the first time in my life I tried hard..and i get this crap!! maybe i was born to fail maths...im aiming for a B overall...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuckynoriss)
    would differentiating get you 1 mark at least because i substituted in the wrong x value, so how many out of 5 would i get
    I can't really say. I expect around 2 maybe more if your later working is also correct, perhaps as much as 3/4 ask MrM on this thread, he'll give you a definite answer

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone predict similar/lower grade boundaries than Jan 2013 when A was 54? I, and everyone at my school, found it trickier and I reckon I got around 50 so hoping it will be a high B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Does anyone predict similar/lower grade boundaries than Jan 2013 when A was 54? I, and everyone at my school, found it trickier and I reckon I got around 50 so hoping it will be a high B
    An A grade boundary of roughly 57 would seem appropriate for this. The log question wasn't easy and I can expect that question would bring down the grade boundary to make up for the more easy parts of the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.