The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annemae17
Hello I'm 17, the first time i ever got told i had a big nose was in year 7.. Later on that day i went home and looked in the mirror and thanks to that one person i finally saw i had a big nose i has never noticed it before, i am now 17 and my nose has got even bigger and is now bent when i look down it goes to the left, i never really care what people thought of me but consistent bullying in years 7,8,9,10 and 11, then 2 years at college it really gets to me. I am only doing an apprentaship so will never in a million years be able to afford a nose job. My mum always told me to stop being so silly when ever i brought it up but tonight i was looking down at my phone and she finally noticed it and agreed i should see my nhs doctor. I hate myself and wish i was dead if I'm honest with you it sounds extreme but i hate myself that much. I completely understand how you feel and relate to everything you have said! I wish the nhs would give us both treatment it would make me the happiest girl alive.

Oh hunny:frown::hugs:
Please, please do not base your self worth on your nose. Your life is so short and to spend all those years worrying and hating yourself for it ... it's not right. I was the exact same as you, went through all my teens feeling so ashamed of my big, wonky nose. I almost had a nose job at 18, 7 years on from when it all started, and I couldn't go through with it because my nose was me. It's an ugly nose I have, but it's my ugly nose. Please try and feel the same about yourself. It takes a lot of distractions and thought-control to feel less bad about yourself but it WILL come eventually.

You are worth so much more than you value yourself as. Your nose is a quirk of yours. You could get a nose job one day, but then you'll have the same nose as all the other perfect girls and you won't be as original. Ofc, I'm a bit hypocritical here because I can't rule out the possibility of treating myself to a nose job one day(:colondollar:) but I don't feel anywhere close to feeling as bad as I used to about my nose (I hardly ever think about it now, it doesn't affect my life at all anymore), and YOU can get to the same point too.

Big hugs:hugs::hugs::hugs:
If it helps to hear, I'm also in a similar situation but with my ears. They are quite prominent and because I'm a male who looks terrible with long hair I have no way of hiding it like some men and most women do. I too have been bullied in high school and It's stopping me from having a social life and getting a job etc. It's also one of my main causes for social anxiety. I'm in the middle of looking into Otoplasty.

I hope everything goes well for you if you ever go ahead with the procedure. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, this doesn't fit with me to be honest.

It does feel a little weird knowing that my Dad is working over 8 hours a day, and it is going towards your nose.

I know this is ruining your confidence, but you can't really expect this.

Reading how some people here have got comestic surgery off the NHS does make me feel pretty sad for all those hard working people that have no clue that there tax is going to some insecure not white girl for her nose, and not to sick people.
We all have insecurities.
Reply 84
OK to the person who wrote horrid stuff about being real and not blaming all your problems on your nose, here's what I'd like to say to you: Dear idiot.. Unless you have ever suffered depression or anxiety or low self esteem then I suggest that you keep your opinions to yourself. I have always had a bent horrible nose, it's not the cause of all my problems, I was incredibly self conscious of it growing up however once I became older I stopped allowing it to ruin my life and became comfortable in my own skin. AND THEN I went through a really hard time recently and for some reason it seems to have had a massive impact on me and my confidence. I once again hate the way I look, not just my nose but everything about me. I suffer from severe anxiety and my quality of life has decreased significantly. My mother had breast cancer when I was 21, she had a double mastectomy and implants, I watched her suffer and almost die and I swore to myself that I'd never be self conscious again, that I'd never attempt to change myself so actually, idiot person, I do understand your view but here I am.. Sat here feeling as though I could burst into tears because earlier my step daughter accidently headbutted me and I know my nose is broken and all I can think is 'great now I am going to be even worse looking.' I can now honestly say after sitting on both sides of this debate and actually physically seeing the effects of both cosmetic surgery due to poor health and cosmetic surgery for low self esteem, that neither are more worthy than the other. Both illness and low self esteem cause suffering afterall a mental health problem is an illness! Now, we pay our national insurance don't we? This young lady may never have any other cause for NHS treatment in her life.. Whilst there's smokers getting treatment for lung cancer, obese people who can't/won't stop eating and they get gastric bands. This girl was born this was, nothing she has done has caused her to feel this way therefore why on earth should she be any less worthy of treatment?

Now honey, see a gp, yes get some counselling and if afterwards you still feel you need this surgery, tell your gp how much it's affecting you and don't let anyone tell you that you're wrong because you're not, you're feelings are as important as anyone else's (as is your health) good luck! Xx
I was the same. However I'm only 16, it never bothered me until I started high school. Whe people started pointing it out and using it as a way to hurt/insult me. I then became obsessed with it, like you. I feared sitting beside someone because I always worried they would look at me and think "holy **** look at that thing", I cried myself to sleep so many times. I can't sit next to my friends whilst eating anymore. I have to sit across from them. I couldn't ever wear my hair up because I knew that it would mean my nose would be so much more visible. Now that I've left high school and started college I feel so much better, I'm taking cooking so it's mandatory for us to have our hair up. At first I was so worried about it but now 2 months in I don't even care! I wear my hair up sometimes to and from college and even when I go out with my parents/friends I've became so much more confident! I always worried about guys noticing my nose and then I realised it's so noticeable so if a guy turns round and tells me he likes me or thinks I'm pretty chances are he's noticed my nose and doesn't care. To start realising things like this.. It's amazing! Sure sometimes I look in the mirror and think to myself "wow I need a nose job" but it passes. I hope this realisation happens to you and if it doesn't I hope you get the help/surgery you need 😊
Reply 86
Hi hun I need the op you've had due to 2 breaks deviated septum how bad is it to have done please kind regards Eva Xxx 💙
Reply 87
Lavender when you break your nose then you can have an opinion on how it effects you. I have muscular / dystrophy and Dystonia they are incurable and yes I have waited for ridiculous times, for urgent ops, but I would never begrudge a girl who is effected so badly to the point it's ruining her life. I am I feel in a position to answer both sides 😢💔 I also recently lost my big sister Pauline 👭 💔 😢 she was 44yrs old, had a very rare cancer and was messed up by the NHS? ?? She died in the most horrendous way so I have to go in n out of hospital frequently, and feel in the way, you hear nurses talking how much they hate being a nurse, very rude to patients, nasty people gossiping? & is the best ones so I have mixed emotions with the fantastic care of the NHS? 😔Eva-Lena
I'm really interested to know if you managed to get it done on the nhs or how your coping. I'm going through the same thing my nose really gets me down
Reply 89
how did you get yours covered on the NHS ???
Reply 90
Ive a clasped nasal passage due to injury as a child. I had to wait over a year just to see the surgeon to go back 3 months later and then finally get a date in September. He offered to reshape my nose to if i want to.. i agreed.
Reply 91
It's very hard to do if it is not for a medical reason.
No offence but my nose was accidentally broken when I was 17. I went to hospital and they said I needed to have it rebroken within 7days to fix it before the bones fused or something.
The hospital referred me to another hospital to RE break my nose however they booked me in after 14days. So I assumed they'd give me the rhinoplasty surgery as it was to late just to reset the bones.
So they put me under and when I woke up. They told me I was only asleep for 1hour as they had to cancel the surgery and wake me up because my bones were fused and they couldn't reset the bones. They then told me they'd book me in to see a rhinoplasty surgeon to tell me the procedure and stuff.
Finally after I turned 18, I got to meet my surgeon who told me the process of the surgery and told me he'd wait another few months for me to decide that I definitely wanted the surgery. (I'd already had my mind made up for atleast 1year by this point.)
Months later I go back and agree that I want the surgery. They then wait more months as they want me to give them photos of my nose before it was broken.
I then turned 19 and was still waiting for my surgery. Gave them the photos and was told to wait yet again so that I could be sure that I wanted the surgery. Although I had explained every time that I was sick of headaches, trouble breathing, pain when sneezing and random nose bleeds for 2YEARS. Thanks to my broken nose (made worse by them attempting to reset it too late) I was then diagnosed with asthma... there goes my college degree and my chances of joining the army :frown: My life career over.
I am now 22 and a half. Still waiting for my surgery. Still asthmatic, still have headaches and get dizzy for no reason, still have severe pain when sneezing and I still have random nose bleeds.
I have chased it up with different doctors over the years and apparently now that I've suffered with it this long, they don't see it as a priority and have refused to give me the surgery and told me if it's so important to me then I can pay for it from a private surgeon. (I studied at college for 4years from the age of 16-20. I then became a carer until I turned 22 and now I am on the dole to find a job that doesn't mind my wheezing or my random bleeding)

So if you get this surgery on the nhs, please just think of my story. And think of the many people that NEED this surgery and can't possibly afford it.
You don't like your nose but I have to live with mine permanently causing me pain and swelling up and bleeding everyday and it looks like it's always trying to escape to the side of my face!
Reply 93
I dont think shes asking for counciling i think the best thing you could have said there was
Reply 94
Sweetie, you need a shrink not a surgeon .

I'm not trying to be mean saying that either, but if this is genuinely affecting you This much, you have a problem - say you did get a nose job, but it still wasn't right, what then??

More surgery or more self loathing?

Neither is a sensible answer, so why is either right the first time round either? Just trying to give you a bit of perspective.

This is obviously borne out of some deeper seated issue that you need to address.

Also, I'm on the waiting list for a nose job for a medical reason, and I've got a long wait on my hands, so from a purely cosmetic point of view, you haven't got a snowballs chance in hell.
Funny that this thread has come up again, as I've finally decided that I WILL be getting a nose job, after I've been to France in June. Spent too many years putting it off and letting people judge me for thinking about it, even though I've wanted one since I was 13 and I'm now 22!
Reply 96
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Funny that this thread has come up again, as I've finally decided that I WILL be getting a nose job, after I've been to France in June. Spent too many years putting it off and letting people judge me for thinking about it, even though I've wanted one since I was 13 and I'm now 22!

Good for you,
Paying for it your self I assume?

Also since 13? Because that doesn't tie in perfectly with a big life event that gives most people some sort of neurosis for life ...
Is there an eye rolling emoji?
Why yes. Yes there is
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Also you didn't address my question either.
What if you get the nose job and it still isn't right?

More surgery, more self loathing, or finally acceptance and dealing with your issues??
Original post by LollyHC
Good for you,
Paying for it your self I assume?

Also since 13? Because that doesn't tie in perfectly with a big life event that gives most people some sort of neurosis for life ...
Is there an eye rolling emoji?
Why yes. Yes there is
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Also you didn't address my question either.
What if you get the nose job and it still isn't right?

More surgery, more self loathing, or finally acceptance and dealing with your issues??

My mother will be paying, and I am not the original poster so your questions weren't aimed at me, I assume. Also, no need to be rude. :fyi:
Unbelievable thread.
Reply 99
Original post by littlenorthernlass
My mother will be paying, and I am not the original poster so your questions weren't aimed at me, I assume. Also, no need to be rude. :fyi:

I didn't realise you weren't the OP, I just got a note through that said there was a response So I assumed - my bad.

But I do feel my point still stands for the OP if you are having yours done for cosmetic reasons.

My question STILL wasn't addressed either.

So what's your plan if you still don't 'feel pretty enough' after this nose job is done?? Or what if your new itty bitty nose makes your ears look big?? Are you going to get them clipped because some jerk makes a joke to his friend about it in the work office? And if you think that's bloody stupid, why isn't the cosmetic nose job also blood stupid?!!!

I'm sorry you think I'm rude, I genuinely don't intend to be, but I am blunt. I don't say rouge or salmon when I mean pink.

In my original response on here I mentioned about how I've got to have mine done (internal deviated septum and problems with the dorsal hump and adenoids to boot) and I don't mind telling you all I am sh*t scared and don't want to do it but do want to get a decent nights sleep for the first time in 15 years 😂😂
I thought from the title this thread would be for people in a similar position or who have been through it and offering advice,

I've heard that getting the cotton taken out after feels like having your sinuses ripped from inside your face if your sinuses were made of razors, and that basically for two months after you're going to feel like you took a shoeing to the face.

(I'm not really one for pain).

But having to have this done, and then reading silly little girls with self esteem issues who never grew up just depresses me.

I repeat, for the fourth time.

What if you STILL don't think you're pretty like a vouge model after?

I'd repeat the eye roll emoji, but I think that may be where you were referencing me being rude, so I'll leave it.

Another question I'd put to you
A 19 year old girl who was given issues at high school and wanted a boob job done because she feels shes inadequate, does the girl need counselling or a boob job??? . . . .

I've just looked back through some of the responses on this thing - There is a 17 year old girl who says, and quote "I wish I was dead" literally because some little snot nosed **** told her her nose was big!
Am I the only sane one here who thinks that this is just mind boggling, over privileged insanity?!! For real
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest