Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Don't understand people who are against gay marriage. If two lesbians want to get married, what has it got to do with you? Will the heavens fall? Will the world end? No. People also need to remember that no religious faith has the right to define marriage. Marriage in the UK belongs to the state, not church or faith.
    PRSOM
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    Another law laid down by the mandatory totalitarian religious ideology, perversely named "Equality". So much for our critically thinking atheists. They're in hock to the only moral God that can enforce their so-called rights, the State.

The State in order to maintain its claws on power requires the population to be reliant upon it for their day to day living. The only threat to its dominance is strong, stable family units which can support themselves for generations. Thus their delight in pushing through Marxist nonsense like the creation of male-male "marriages" and teaching children from age 5 that this is normal and healthy. Broken homes and constant confusion means guaranteed votes. The creation of yet more victims it can then claim to "help" whilst making matters worse.
    Time to up your medication.

ReputationRep:
    About time. This is the 21st century after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    Another law laid down by the mandatory totalitarian religious ideology, perversely named "Equality". So much for our critically thinking atheists. They're in hock to the only moral God that can enforce their so-called rights, the State.

The State in order to maintain its claws on power requires the population to be reliant upon it for their day to day living. The only threat to its dominance is strong, stable family units which can support themselves for generations. Thus their delight in pushing through Marxist nonsense like the creation of male-male "marriages" and teaching children from age 5 that this is normal and healthy. Broken homes and constant confusion means guaranteed votes. The creation of yet more victims it can then claim to "help" whilst making matters worse.
    Please explain to me and the rest of us on TSR, how two people of the same sex getting married, effects you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia_)
    According to a public survey of the UK, 56% say Britain is Christian, & 61% agree it should be Christian. The Queen is the head of state, the Queen is a Christian. So, as also stated by the Prime Minister, England is a Christian country.

Based on that, marriage in England has always, until now, been held in what the Guardian has described today as the 'natural' and 'Biblical' meaning. The meaning taken from Christianity. To change the definition is to suggest that the Biblical meaning is wrong, God is wrong, everybody who believes in the Bible (needless to say Christians) have it wrong. Today it has been more or less put in to legal standing that those mentioned are wrong.

I believe this is a form of oppression toward the Christians residing in the UK, also elsewhere.

I am not saying that I am against 'gay marriage', but I can hold the opinion above and support gay rights at the same time.

Edit: To not be able to think and express your religion freely in a country which is said to be of a certain religious nature, for fear of prosecution (offences related to homophobia), is also a part of the oppression, for all of this not to be true it would have to be clearly declared by the Queen and government that England is NOT a Christian country
    Allow me to clarify the statistics for you: 'An ICM poll for The Guardian in 2006 asked the question "Which religion do you yourself belong to?" with a response of 64% stating 'Christian' and 26% stating 'None'. In the same survey, 63% claimed they are not religious with just 33% claiming they are. This suggests that almost a third of the non-religious UK population identify with Christianity out of habit.' And if you're still not convinced: 'The British Social Attitudes survey asked the question "Do you regard yourself as belonging to any particular religion?" with 41.22% of respondents selecting 'No Religion' in 2001 and 50.67% selecting 'No Religion' in 2009.' This would suggest, in fact, that the majority of people in the UK are not Christian in the religous sense, even if they may identify culturally with Christianity and wish for the UK to remain culturally Christian.

As others have mentioned, even if the majority of people in the UK were religiously Christian, that does not mean they are against gay marriage. But let's assume for a moment that the majority of people in the UK are religiously christian and are against gay marriage. How on earth would this effect them in any way? As others have said again, marriage is not exclusively religious, let alone exclusively christian. So in effect there are already many marriages taking place that do not fit many Christian definitions of marriage. Strangely, though, I've yet to hear anyone say they feel oppressed because of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanno)
    Allow me to clarify the statistics for you: 'An ICM poll for The Guardian in 2006 asked the question "Which religion do you yourself belong to?" with a response of 64% stating 'Christian' and 26% stating 'None'. In the same survey, 63% claimed they are not religious with just 33% claiming they are. This suggests that almost a third of the non-religious UK population identify with Christianity out of habit.' And if you're still not convinced: 'The British Social Attitudes survey asked the question "Do you regard yourself as belonging to any particular religion?" with 41.22% of respondents selecting 'No Religion' in 2001 and 50.67% selecting 'No Religion' in 2009.' This would suggest, in fact, that the majority of people in the UK are not Christian in the religous sense, even if they may identify culturally with Christianity and wish for the UK to remain culturally Christian.

As others have mentioned, even if the majority of people in the UK were religiously Christian, that does not mean they are against gay marriage. But let's assume for a moment that the majority of people in the UK are religiously christian and are against gay marriage. How on earth would this effect them in any way? As others have said again, marriage is not exclusively religious, let alone exclusively christian. So in effect there are already many marriages taking place that do not fit many Christian definitions of marriage. Strangely, though, I've yet to hear anyone say they feel oppressed because of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Mudaari)
    There's no difference between same-sex marriage, and incest same-sex marriage.
    Then there is also no difference between heterosexual marriage and incestuous heterosexual marriage.

I could easily, by your own logic, demand that incestuous marriage should exist if heterosexual marriage already exists.

ReputationRep:
    Based on that, marriage in England has always, until now, been held in what the Guardian has described today as the 'natural' and 'Biblical' meaning. The meaning taken from Christianity. To change the definition is to suggest that the Biblical meaning is wrong, God is wrong, everybody who believes in the Bible (needless to say Christians) have it wrong. Today it has been more or less put in to legal standing that those mentioned are wrong.

I believe this is a form of oppression toward the Christians residing in the UK, also elsewhere.
    Are River Island and Topshop oppressing Christians by selling mixed fabrics? What about YO! Sushi for selling shellfish?

Or of more relevance - is maintaining legal divorce in England and Wales oppressing Christians?

You can't have your cake and eat it. Either all these things, especially divorce, oppress Christians alongside gay marriage or they do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Mudaari)
    There's no difference between same-sex marriage, and incest same-sex marriage.
    erm, I've checked that, and incest is only different to regular same-sex marriage in three ways, these being:
    Morally, Legally, and actually

ReputationRep:
    Not this "Incest is the same as gay" effort again...... :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    According to a public survey of the UK, 56% say Britain is Christian, & 61% agree it should be Christian. The Queen is the head of state, the Queen is a Christian. So, as also stated by the Prime Minister, England is a Christian country.

If you can justify placing all Christians under an umbrella of homophobia and those who disagree same sex marriage, then I'm sure we can all entertain your statistics. Until then, a 'Christian' ranges from literalists to those that take a metaphorical view of the Bible. I'm sure you can appreciate how vague this is.

The consistent definition of a Christian is one who believes that Jesus Christ is salvation and the son of God. But you will not find a viewpoint consistent among Christians about same sex marriage, which is what this thread is about, and which makes your point irrelevant.

"Natural" and Biblical" can range anywhere from heavy punishment for adultery, or it being sinful to divorce or eat shellfish. Needless to say, none of this is law in this 'Christian' country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Like the UK you mean
    aha thanks did not expect that

ReputationRep:
    To change the definition is to suggest that the Biblical meaning is wrong, God is wrong, everybody who believes in the Bible (needless to say Christians) have it wrong
    Yes, this. The Christians who oppose same-sex marriage are wrong,

Today it has been more or less put in to legal standing that those mentioned are wrong.
    It has been on legal standing that they're wrong ever since divorce has been allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-Andrew)
    aha thanks did not expect that
    Well our royal family is largely the product of cousin incest

Also I suppose it's not widespread enough for it to be an issue. Only certain specific communities have problems related to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Not this "Incest is the same as gay" effort again...... :facepalm2:
    You'd think they would have got tired of it by now, wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparrowhawk4)
    You'd think they would have got tired of it by now, wouldn't you? :rolleyes:
    Yes. I cringe when the Homophobes make that comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Pisses me off when people say it will 'ruin the sanctity' of marriage. Marriage is a ceremony which has evolved through time, this is another one of those evolutions - to include the recognition of love between two people of the same sex, who are easily capable of exactly the same type and strength of love as a heterosexual couple. Not only that but people who claim marriage is a religious ceremony, don't kid yourselves.. do you honestly think that everyone who gets married in church is a Christian? *******s, alot are atheist and are getting marriaged in church purely for the ceremony.

The only thing which ruins the sanctity of marriage is DIVORCES, especially with how easy they are to get nowadays and the number of couples who have ****ing children but are divorced when they're 1-2 years old.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.