Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Apologetic Cube)

Say, hypothetically, the SQA made a mistake in which they lost a component of your exam, say, a second answer booklet, or your multiple choice answers didn't scan properly, what options would you have? Could I ask to have my paper re-examined? I know this sounds as if I'm looking for excuses but I genuinely think something was up in my H Biology exam. In the prelim, I scored 102/130 and I missed out on half of the Section B questions as well as having a pretty poor Section C. Nevertheless, I scored an A grade, whereas, in the real exam, where the A boundary was 90/130, and I answered every question thoroughly and had a dream Section C, I got a B. I seriously don't understand how I could have dropped 40 marks. If someone had asked me what exam you thought you were guaranteed an A in, I would have said Biology.

There are three possibilities:
    1. I genuinely did mess-up, possibly in the problem solving questions, but I still seriously doubt that I dropped 40 marks.
    2. I didn't use a HB pencil in Section A Multiple Choice, perhaps some of my answers weren't scanned properly?
    3. I used two answer booklets for when I got to Section C; possibly one could have gone missing?

I know how sour this sounds but I just can't let this rest, given that it is my future. Can I request that the SQA look at my exam paper again or have it cross-marked?
    Like Ecosse_14 says, you'll need to get a hold of someone in the know if you want to chase this up. We were trained with UCAS and all of their stuff - we're just as clueless about the esoteric inner workings of the SQA as all of you are.

You're totally right that it is your future, Alex. But you've got to believe me when I say that this is unlikely to have any significant impact on it.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Motherofanumpty)
    You may scoff but it's stressful being the mother of a numpty! He's smart but he doesn't believe in studying, or homework or planning for the future. Lives in the moment, the world of X-box and the pit that is his bedroom. The only prep he did for his exams was me reading out past papers to him and making him answer the questions and only the night before the exams!

I had lots of grey hairs before May, but I look like Mrs Claus now.

I hope when he gets back to school and goes into his Higher classes that he 'catches' some sense of responsibility from the sensible kids (In a kind of numpty-see, numpty-do way).

Anyway, I will get in touch with his teachers on Monday and ask about the Geography appeal, he's not taking it as a Higher, but I feel I deserve a 1 for my stress and effort. He'll forget to ask because he's, well, he's a numpty.
    Hey there! First of all, your son's gotten really great results! I hope you're proud of him for that, or rather, be proud of yourself for that matter; I can't believe you went to such efforts to make him study!

I just want to add a bit of authority to what my colleagues have said up above: whether or not he'd be eligible for an appeal depends on the predictions his teacher submitted for Geography. If he was predicted a 1, then he's eligible for an appeal! You can discuss this all with his teacher when you get in touch with them. There's ages until the deadline for Standard Grade appeals, so there's no rush.

Also, you have such a wonderful way with words. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Like Ecosse_14 says, you'll need to get a hold of someone in the know if you want to chase this up. We were trained with UCAS and all of their stuff - we're just as clueless about the esoteric inner workings of the SQA as all of you are.

You're totally right that it is your future, Alex. But you've got to believe me when I say that this is unlikely to have any significant impact on it.
    It's not simply that I'm sour about getting a grade lower than expected, I genuinely feel as if an injustice has been served somewhere. If I hadn't studied or just had a terrible exam, I would let it slip, but honestly - this exam was probably my best and I got A1's in the other five :dontknow:! I just don't feel as if I can let it pass until I make at least some attempt to pursue it further!

Thanks for your kind words throughout, by the way. It's appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all i do like this site and find it informative

I'm a parent and my daughter got her 5th year higher results. A,b,b,c,c.and is going to appeal a B and C hoping to get into Strathclyde uní.

What i really would like some help with is an explanation on 1st sitting and 2nd sitting results and what this actally means.
    Strathclyde say for example 1st sitting a,a,a,b,b. 2nd sitting a,a,a,a,a,b,b,b.

Hope you can explain.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can a recount/remark be done!?
    not usually. But obviously the SQA have to give permission to this and they might possibly say that it cant be done
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It's not simply that I'm sour about getting a grade lower than expected, I genuinely feel as if an injustice has been served somewhere. If I hadn't studied or just had a terrible exam, I would let it slip, but honestly - this exam was probably my best and I got A1's in the other five :dontknow:! I just don't feel as if I can let it pass until I make at least some attempt to pursue it further!

Thanks for your kind words throughout, by the way. It's appreciated.
    I understand, mate. Best of luck with finding out what happened!

(Original post by abiik89)
    Hi all i do like this site and find it informative

I'm a parent and my daughter got her 5th year higher results. A,b,b,c,c.and is going to appeal a B and C hoping to get into Strathclyde uní.

What i really would like some help with is an explanation on 1st sitting and 2nd sitting results and what this actally means.
    Strathclyde say for example 1st sitting a,a,a,b,b. 2nd sitting a,a,a,a,a,b,b,b.

Hope you can explain.

Many thanks
    Hey there! It's actually surprisingly simple, but it's never defined anywhere, which is so annoying!

First sitting is basically your first sitting of Higher exams - that's 5th year for most people. So basically if you get AAABB in 5th year, then that meets the entry requirements.

2nd sitting (basically meaning 'after your second sitting of Higher exams') is for those who don't make the requirements in 5th year (i.e., through first sitting). And means it's a combination of your grades from 5th and 6th year. So if they want to see AAAAABBB (are you sure you don't have one too many A's in there? That seems like more than what I usually see!), then that's both of your years put together. For example, your daughter has ABB in 5th year - so they'd want to see her get AAAAB in 6th year to make up the rest. Add them both together and you get AAAAABBB.

Hopefully your daughter gets her appeals so that meeting the entry requirements is a bit easier for her. It would actually make a big difference even though it's "only" 2 grades! Best of luck, and I hope that was helpful!

(Original post by evalilyXOX)
    not usually. But obviously the SQA have to give permission to this and they might possibly say that it cant be done
    And congrats to you on getting the remark/recount - I've never heard of it done before (and the SQA says quite clearly that they don't do them), but hey, if your teachers are going to try, let's be hopeful, eh?

ReputationRep:

And congrats to you on getting the remark/recount - I've never heard of it done before (and the SQA says quite clearly that they don't do them), but hey, if your teachers are going to try, let's be hopeful, eh?
    im so shocked that it is being considered. They know that u cant actually get it remarked but i am 1 mark away from an A so if they cant appeal it then they will try a recount and possibly a remark.

fingers crossed !

ReputationRep:
    I did horrendous in my exams this year, BBDD (all higher level!!) and I know that one of the D's I definitely can't appeal for but the other, Administration, was one of my best subjects and after consistently passing all NAB's and generally scoring high throughout the year I obtained 50/60 on the written part of my prelim and 29/60 on the IT part. This lowered my prelim grade to a B. I am really hoping I can get an appeal but worried that I can only get one grade above, is this correct? My teacher had my predicted grade down as a B. Also, in terms of taking subjects next year, I am really stuck. I was wondering if taking 2 AH and 2 H's rather than 1 AH and 3 H's would be preferred by unis? I obviously have not met the criteria needed for an unconditional this year and am determined to get there in the end. Thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by _jemx)
    I did horrendous in my exams this year, BBDD (all higher level!!) and I know that one of the D's I definitely can't appeal for but the other, Administration, was one of my best subjects and after consistently passing all NAB's and generally scoring high throughout the year I obtained 50/60 on the written part of my prelim and 29/60 on the IT part. This lowered my prelim grade to a B. I am really hoping I can get an appeal but worried that I can only get one grade above, is this correct? My teacher had my predicted grade down as a B. Also, in terms of taking subjects next year, I am really stuck. I was wondering if taking 2 AH and 2 H's rather than 1 AH and 3 H's would be preferred by unis? I obviously have not met the criteria needed for an unconditional this year and am determined to get there in the end. Thanks!
    Hi,

Sorry to hear you're not too happy with your results, but hey, you've got BB at Higher under your belt and the possibility of another B or most likely C if you get an appeal which is a good base for your future so well done! You can definitely appeal but nobody here can tell you how successful you will be. You may appeal to a B, maybe a C, or you may stay at a D. All you can do is try and wait to see the outcome I'm afraid.

As for what subjects to take next year, there isn't a massive difference there. Look at the courses and universities you're interested in and see what entry requirements they have (especially if they list them for over 2 sittings). Do subjects you'll enjoy studying. So if that means 2 AH's, and 2 Highers, then by all means go for it!

ReputationRep:
    I understand, mate. Best of luck with finding out what happened!

Hey there! It's actually surprisingly simple, but it's never defined anywhere, which is so annoying!

First sitting is basically your first sitting of Higher exams - that's 5th year for most people. So basically if you get AAABB in 5th year, then that meets the entry requirements.

2nd sitting (basically meaning 'after your second sitting of Higher exams') is for those who don't make the requirements in 5th year (i.e., through first sitting). And means it's a combination of your grades from 5th and 6th year. So if they want to see AAAAABBB (are you sure you don't have one too many A's in there? That seems like more than what I usually see!), then that's both of your years put together. For example, your daughter has ABB in 5th year - so they'd want to see her get AAAAB in 6th year to make up the rest. Add them both together and you get AAAAABBB.

Hopefully your daughter gets her appeals so that meeting the entry requirements is a bit easier for her. It would actually make a big difference even though it's "only" 2 grades! Best of luck, and I hope that was helpful!

Thanks for the reply makes sense now.

ReputationRep:
    A friend just told me that my school won't appeal for her as she got a grade 2 in standard grade biology even though she was predicted to get a 1 just because a 2 is still good enough to do higher? Is that right?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, my results this year were;

Modern Studies - B
    Computing - B
    English - B
    Biology - B
    Maths - F

I done maths at intermediate two level and was wondering whether I would have any chance of an appeal because both of my prelims were one mark off a B. Do you guys reckon I would be able to get a C with an appeal or is it something that I'm dreaming of. Furthermore, I was whole-heartedly expecting an A in higher computing because I got 84% in my prelim and 60/60 in my coursework. I, and all of my friends, managed to get a B in the main exam which is very weird because even the best in the class got a B. I was wondering, are the SQA very harsh markers in the computing sections? Reason being, I needed 80/140 to get an A and I was more than sure that I could have achieved an A first time. I'm planning on appealing this too, do you guys reckon it would be a good idea to give it a shot and from my results, would I have any chance of getting an appeal? So far, I've only been told negative of maths appeals because people say that they are very very rare.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by GoldenOne)
    A friend just told me that my school won't appeal for her as she got a grade 2 in standard grade biology even though she was predicted to get a 1 just because a 2 is still good enough to do higher? Is that right?
    Is which part right? Yes, a 2 is good enough to do higher. I suspect you're asking if your school can do that though, which they can. It's completely up to your school whether or not an appeal is submitted. Your friend can fight for an appeal if she wants, but ultimately it's up to the school whether or not one is submitted.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Confused!)
    Hey guys, my results this year were;

Modern Studies - B
    Computing - B
    English - B
    Biology - B
    Maths - F

I done maths at intermediate two level and was wondering whether I would have any chance of an appeal because both of my prelims were one mark off a B. Do you guys reckon I would be able to get a C with an appeal or is it something that I'm dreaming of. Furthermore, I was whole-heartedly expecting an A in higher computing because I got 84% in my prelim and 60/60 in my coursework. I, and all of my friends, managed to get a B in the main exam which is very weird because even the best in the class got a B. I was wondering, are the SQA very harsh markers in the computing sections? Reason being, I needed 80/140 to get an A and I was more than sure that I could have achieved an A first time. I'm planning on appealing this too, do you guys reckon it would be a good idea to give it a shot and from my results, would I have any chance of getting an appeal? So far, I've only been told negative of maths appeals because people say that they are very very rare.
    Hey, well done on those results, they're pretty good!

I'm afraid nobody can answer your question though. A lot of factors are taken into consideration when the SQA are looking through appeals. Therefore, it's impossible to tell whether or not they will be successful. If you are eligible for an appeal then you have nothing to lose in submitting them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    Hey, well done on those results, they're pretty good!

I'm afraid nobody can answer your question though. A lot of factors are taken into consideration when the SQA are looking through appeals. Therefore, it's impossible to tell whether or not they will be successful. If you are eligible for an appeal then you have nothing to lose in submitting them.
    Thank you! I'll give it a shot!

ReputationRep:
    I got a C in higher English and had been getting an A all year and got an A in the prelim will I be able to appeal?

ReputationRep:
    I got a 3 in my standard grade English exam! I am going to appeal as I got a 2 in my prelim. But I understand that you need at least a 2 to do higher English in 5th year. Before the end of the school year we were put into our higher classes. I was just wondering, if they would allow me to continue with the higher English until we found out if I have got the appeal or not? I really want to do higher English this year as I know I am capable. (That is if the school will appeal, I have never done so bad in English!)

ReputationRep:
    There is an appeal thread (Christ knows why no one is using it) but anyway, yes you should be able to appeal. Whether it is successful or not, depends purely on the evidence sent away by your school. So contact them.

ReputationRep:
    I achieved a BBC in Highers this year and I was hoping to try get an appeal for my C, which is RMPS. However, we sat the first prelim before we learned the 3rd unit, so it only had unit one and two.. I achieved 60% in it. Then when it came the time to sit the second part of the prelim I had certain things happening outside of school and my teachers thought that I shouldn't sit it and could always just do it another time. But, I never done it.
    So, does anyone think that my school could use the first part of the prelim and use the unit 3 NAB and put that as the third section of my prelim and use that as an appeal?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Paulehhh)
    I achieved a BBC in Highers this year and I was hoping to try get an appeal for my C, which is RMPS. However, we sat the first prelim before we learned the 3rd unit, so it only had unit one and two.. I achieved 60% in it. Then when it came the time to sit the second part of the prelim I had certain things happening outside of school and my teachers thought that I shouldn't sit it and could always just do it another time. But, I never done it.
    So, does anyone think that my school could use the first part of the prelim and use the unit 3 NAB and put that as the third section of my prelim and use that as an appeal?
    If you are eligible for an appeal then you can try but it's highly unlikely you'll be successful I'm afraid if you don't have anything from unit 3 that isn't a NAB (NABs are set at C/pass level so don't really count for much), and 60% isn't exactly a strong B. Well done on those results though, 3 Highers is good going.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.