World Cup 2022 to be played in the winter. Watch

Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Utter madness.

What about the European leagues who schedule their winter break for this period? They will hate giving that up *and* prolonging their season.

Just about the money. Nothing else.
CelticSymphony67
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
UEFA couldn't care less about the domestic leagues. They will try and protect their own in the same way that the FA (and their counterparts in Spain, France, Germany etc etc) and FIFA will. Besides, it's not like this is the first time a World Cup would be held in such high temperatures. Mexico 1970/86 and USA 1994 the obvious two that come to mind.
To be fair to the Qatari's, they have no issue holding a summer tournament, in air conditioned stadiums. It is auld Sepp who is getting his knickers in a twist, about hot temperatures for the fans.
Sám
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know it's not for another 9 years but have FIFA released some kind of schedule? i.e. what happens to domestic leagues, the Champions League etc.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CelticSymphony67)
To be fair to the Qatari's, they have no issue holding a summer tournament, in air conditioned stadiums. It is auld Sepp who is getting his knickers in a twist, about hot temperatures for the fans.
And equally, the problem with the tournament isn't the Qataris. The problem is FiFA,
CelticSymphony67
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
And equally, the problem with the tournament isn't the Qataris. The problem is FiFA,
Exactly.
manchesterunited15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well one things for sure, it's gonna be the ****test world cup ever
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be fair, England's type of bribery was giving the wives of the judges handbags.... It was just that there wasn't any money in there...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jkizer)
To be fair, England's type of bribery was giving the wives of the judges handbags.... It was just that there wasn't any money in there...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shhhhhhh

You're not meant to say that. Only the Qataris bribe.

Ignorance is strength.
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It should go back to vote then. Qatar 2022 was sold as a summer tournament. Would all those who voted for it vote the same way again if they knew their own leagues were going to be completely ****ed up for 2-3 years to facilitate a winter tournament?
The sooner that moron Blatter and his minion Platini are out of power, the better. Pair of arrogant tossers.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Student2806)
It should go back to vote then. Qatar 2022 was sold as a summer tournament. Would all those who voted for it vote the same way again if they knew their own leagues were going to be completely ****ed up for 2-3 years to facilitate a winter tournament?
The sooner that moron Blatter and his minion Platini are out of power, the better. Pair of arrogant tossers.
Why should it? Qatar more than pleased to host it in the summer. It's Fifa's decision to change it to winner. Null and void argument.

Also, when the the design of the olympic stadium changed, should the IOC have recalled the bidding for the olympics then?
S1L3NTPR3Y
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
FIFA is rotten to the core. Blatter doesn't give a toss about football fans, or improving football. All he cares about is $$$.

Qatar is about the worst place to hold a world cup, the only redeeming factor is they have the money to host it.

I have no doubt that all the stadiums will get completed and that the infrastructure will likely also be put in place; as the rulers of Qatar have more than enough money earned from Natural Gas.

But all of it will never be used again, how does a nation of 1.7 million people need 12 international capacity football stadiums and infrastructure to transport 100,000's of people around, in the middle of the desert? Not to mention the clash of cultures; Qatar bans homosexuality and alcohol and is hardly what most people would describe as a free and fair country.

Frankly they should re-run the bidding process again in my opinion, though that will never happen.

BREAKING NEWS: World Cup 2026 to be played on Mars after Martians mail numerous brown envelopes to FIFA HQ :rolleyes:
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 419)
Why should it? Qatar more than pleased to host it in the summer. It's Fifa's decision to change it to winner. Null and void argument.
Because in the Qatari bid it was billed as a summer tournament, with provisions for holding it in the summer. If they change it to winter then they aren't fulfilling the bid they made, are they?

Oh and don't be ridiculous, Olympic stadium design was a cosmetic change that didn't affect the tournament - the two are not comparable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CelticSymphony67
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Because in the Qatari bid it was billed as a summer tournament, with provisions for holding it in the summer. If they change it to winter then they aren't fulfilling the bid they made, are they?

Oh and don't be ridiculous, Olympic stadium design was a cosmetic change that didn't affect the tournament - the two are not comparable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is not Qatar who want to change it to Winter, it is FIFA. So why should Qatar be penalised because FIFA are all of a sudden worried about the Qatari summer heat? They should have thought of that when they voted or it.

This is a FIFA problem, not Qatar's.
CelticSymphony67
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
FIFA is rotten to the core. Blatter doesn't give a toss about football fans, or improving football. All he cares about is $$$.

Qatar is about the worst place to hold a world cup, the only redeeming factor is they have the money to host it.

I have no doubt that all the stadiums will get completed and that the infrastructure will likely also be put in place; as the rulers of Qatar have more than enough money earned from Natural Gas.

But all of it will never be used again, how does a nation of 1.7 million people need 12 international capacity football stadiums and infrastructure to transport 100,000's of people around, in the middle of the desert? Not to mention the clash of cultures; Qatar bans homosexuality and alcohol and is hardly what most people would describe as a free and fair country.

Frankly they should re-run the bidding process again in my opinion, though that will never happen.

BREAKING NEWS: World Cup 2026 to be played on Mars after Martians mail numerous brown envelopes to FIFA HQ :rolleyes:

As one who has visited Qatar, it is a pretty liberal country, compared to Gulf standards, Bahrain probably pips it in terms of social liberal freedoms. Like I have said in another post, this is not The Politics Show. Qatar having a ban (soon to be dropped, even though one can already drink alcohol in restaurants) on alcohol and on homosexuality, has no bearing whatsoever, on how they can hold a World Cup. Lets keep the sport and politics separate.
sr90
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by manchesterunited15)
Well one things for sure, it's gonna to be the ****test world cup ever
Can anything be worse than South Africa 2010? At least there won't be vuvuzelas...
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you even read my comment that you quoted?

I'll put it here again for your benefit

Qatar more than pleased to host it in the summer.

It's Fifa's decision to change it to winter.

And FWIW, it wasn't officially written into the bid that it has to be held in the summer. It was just assumed. It isn't called the FIFA Summer World cup after all.

How will hosting it in winter affect the tournament??
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Love this, the one guy here that has actually been to Qatar shows that what conjecture that people have about Qatar (obviously feed to them by those never-xenophobic press we have here) is nothing but conjecture.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Can anything be worse than South Africa 2010? At least there won't be vuvuzelas...
Personally, I enjoyed the vuvuzelas- something different :dontknow: And thought the tournament was a success.

The football was dire but that's the WC for you. It's a dire tournament footballing wise.
CelticSymphony67
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 419)
Love this, the one guy here that has actually been to Qatar shows that what conjecture that people have about Qatar (obviously feed to them by those never-xenophobic press we have here) is nothing but conjecture.
I too have been to Qatar, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, in 1999. I personally loved Qatar, it is a great place, and the locals love there football, particularly the Premier League. Qatar will hold a great tournament, and has a small country, it will keep fans travelling costs down.
AXERTYRE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 419)
Fifa are the ruler of world football. They have PL is at the balls. Fifa decides the footballing calendar.

Plus, they have support from UEFA and most likely other leagues around Europe. I know they have the Germans backings. How's PL going to circumvent that?
The PL can take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) if both parties fail to conclude a deal. There are too much money involved with TV money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.3%
No (623)
72.7%

Watched Threads