Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otester)
    Well for a start, screen size.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it took you long enough...Screen size depends on what you're using it for, IMO some of the samsung phones are a ridiculous size to be carrying around just to use as a phone.

ReputationRep:
    Why spend all that much the when the OP doesn't needs it and is tight on funds?
    lol i think the 'op' decided to go for a nexus way back on page 4

and i wasnt suggesting the asker spend anything ,merely pointing out what i felt where the biggest differneces between the s3/4 in the context of the post i had quoted

now if i were to lend my opinion, my anwser would have to depend on what the person wanted, and what they orignally said was that they were on a tight budget, but wanted to know whether to get the s3 now and save a bit or splash it and go for the s4 . and although people have weighed in opionons, there's really nothing from the op to suggest they're after something specific whent they may be

e.g. if they are intrested in games, a mid - high range smartphone would be neccesary , if they were interested in the likes of dead trigger , real racing etc, but low - mid if only for doodle jump or fruit ninja. or if they wanted a decent camera they would also have to look upwards

imo a mid - high range phone is a lot better option as it gives a lot more flexibilty and long range investment, particualry if you are new to the scene and not sure what to expect. afterall, it's a fair bit of money, and theres no point thinking your gettign a great deal if you keep hearing from your mates all these wonderful apps and games you must try but your phone simply can't support, or if you decide one day to want to watch a film and find the screen too tiny, or even if you just want to make a call quickly and get frustated waiting because the proccesser is too weak and boggled by all the other open apps

dont get me wrong, i own an s4 now, but before i had a galaxy europa which was and still is one of the most cheapest android phones around (roughly 60 quid sim free last i checked) and whilst it was great back then, i wouldnt recommend it so much now. i mean it does all the basics well; an ok camera thats good enough for facebook if not for the national portrait gallery, decent enough size that it dosent feel too cramped when your typing with the virtual qwerty board, and hey its a solid rock. dropped several times with barely a scratch. but on the other hand the internal memory is pitiful, and whilst at the start i used to be install several apps on it , e.g. ebay, amazon kindle, bbc news, angry birds etc as time went by the developers of course updated their apps with shiny new feautures and bug fixes which, whilst being good for the app itself, also meant it increased in size and so even if i stopped installing any more apps , just by updating all the exisitng ones my internal storage would keep shrinking and shrinking till i was force to unsitall pretty much everything that distinguished it from any other phone that could make a call, recive texts , emails etc. after all, one of the biggest reasons android is popular is because of the apps, and often winodws and blackberry are criticised for the lack of app support on their phones

so for me the s3/s4 provides a good bit of futureproofing, but that's in my case. if you are really not intrested in nothing more than a phone that can log into facebook as well as the basic functions , thats fine. heck, you may not even like the look and feel of android and end up wishing you were trying a windows 8 phone .but for soemthing where you can use it a movie player one day, a gps the next day and a ps1 emulater the day after there's nothing liek looking at the stars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapelTom)
    I've got a Blackberry Q10 as I can't stand touchscreen qwerty keyboards. I love it, use it mainly typing stuff up, email, twitter and facebook. I'd recommend them to anyone.
    Isn't Blackberry notorious for making rubbish phones? Or is that just the curve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    Well it took you long enough...Screen size depends on what you're using it for, IMO some of the samsung phones are a ridiculous size to be carrying around just to use as a phone.
    You shouldn't assume everyone is a hobbit :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why not an S2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    S2's are officially extinct in my area
    I did go to a few phone stores today, and they told me that they no longer have S3s in stock. Only S4s, Note, and Grand are available! Asdfghjkl :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleighgiles)
    I see. When they first said it, I thought they meant that they no longer have S3's around :eek:
    Nexus 4 ... I haven't seen those around here! I might have look it up. I've tried the HTC One though - it wasn't bad at all!
    Well techincally they soon won't, I doubt they'll be manufactured anymore so they'll just get rid of what stock they have. On a side note to any S4 users, Samsung Hub videos gives away free late night films, one a night - got the dictator for free last night :awesome:

It wasn't marketed much but it's a very good phone, but from the google play store since most shops here will charge £300+
    The HTC one is really good it just comes down to preference. I was deciding between the S4 and the One and chose the S4, can't really say I regret my decision tbh love the S4.

(Original post by deedee123)
    I'm hearing all of these general opinions of it being inferior yet no actual specifics.
    Iphone 5 :
    640 x 1136 pixels, 4.0 inches (~326 ppi pixel density)

16/32/64 GB storage, 1 GB RAM

8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, check quality

Dual-core 1.3 GHz

Stand-by Up to 225 h (3G)
    Talk time Up to 8 h (3G)
    Music play Up to 40 h

S4 :

1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)

16/32/64 GB storage, 2 GB RAM

13 MP, 4128 x 3096 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, check quality

Quad-core 1.9 GHz Krait 300

Stand-by Up to 350 h (3G)
    Talk time Up to 17 h (3G)
    Music play Up to 62 h

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    Well techincally they soon won't, I doubt they'll be manufactured anymore so they'll just get rid of what stock they have. On a side note to any S4 users, Samsung Hub videos gives away free late night films, one a night - got the dictator for free last night :awesome:

It wasn't marketed much but it's a very good phone, but from the google play store since most shops here will charge £300+
    The HTC one is really good it just comes down to preference. I was deciding between the S4 and the One and chose the S4, can't really say I regret my decision tbh love the S4.
    Argh now I'm tempted to just get the S4 altogether! I'm afraid that if anything goes wrong with an S3, the store won't be able to help.
    I'll probably pay through a monthly instalment, even if they'll charge a certain amount of interest a month. (Hopefully they won't, since there are lots of promotions for 0% interest!)
    I didn't really consider the iPhone because the screen is a bit too small (for me) and its hard to type with chubby fingers :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    Argh now I'm tempted to just get the S4 altogether! I'm afraid that if anything goes wrong with an S3, the store won't be able to help.
    I'll probably pay through a monthly instalment, even if they'll charge a certain amount of interest a month. (Hopefully they won't, since there are lots of promotions for 0% interest!)
    I didn't really consider the iPhone because the screen is a bit too small (for me) and its hard to type with chubby fingers :nooo:
    Well they will help but generally speaking in terms of updates etc it'll be far down the pecking order.
    Hmm why not get a contract? Of course it depends on your situation but they are some decent deals out there got mine on £32pm.
    :console: I'm pretty tall so my fingers are just generally too big for it Plus like my post above the specs are pretty poor and there's just hardly any customization or freedom to do what you like to it :no:

ReputationRep:
    Well they will help but generally speaking in terms of updates etc it'll be far down the pecking order.
    Hmm why not get a contract? Of course it depends on your situation but they are some decent deals out there got mine on £32pm.
    :console: I'm pretty tall so my fingers are just generally too big for it Plus like my post above the specs are pretty poor and there's just hardly any customization or freedom to do what you like to it :no:
    I might get a contract; its just the providers that offer these really bug me. As far as I know, most of the contracted ones have crappy providers! Ugh :hmmm:
    Yeah, I also read your previous post about the specs. I wouldn't want to bother with jailbreaking an iPhone, and I like Android's interface much more. I dislike it when I try to press one letter on an iPhone and my chubby finger presses everything else but that letter
    Without a doubt, the iPhone won't be on my wishlist

ReputationRep:
    S2's are officially extinct in my area
    I did go to a few phone stores today, and they told me that they no longer have S3s in stock. Only S4s, Note, and Grand are available! Asdfghjkl :mad:
    Ebay.

ReputationRep:
    I might get a contract; its just the providers that offer these really bug me. As far as I know, most of the contracted ones have crappy providers! Ugh :hmmm:
    Yeah, I also read your previous post about the specs. I wouldn't want to bother with jailbreaking an iPhone, and I like Android's interface much more. I dislike it when I try to press one letter on an iPhone and my chubby finger presses everything else but that letter
    Ah that's a problem too
    Just hunt for the best deals and you should find something :yep:
    Rooting an android is much easier and safer than jailbreaking an android.
    Generally I swype which is much easier for my bug fingers since I'll end up with letters I don't want :lol:

Ebay.
    Just make sure the seal isn't broken. I don't see why anyone would sell a brand new unused S4 but the seal is broken.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's a problem too
    Generally I swype which is much easier for my bug fingers since I'll end up with letters I don't want :lol:

Just make sure the seal isn't broken. I don't see why anyone would sell a brand new unused S4 but the seal is broken.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I mean Ebay to get an S2.

ReputationRep:
    Just go with the Nexus 4 imo

The actual value (price/quality) is unmatched by any phone imo. I love mine

ReputationRep:
    I mean Ebay to get an S2.
    Oh well I had an S2 worked brilliantly but it's very slow with updates and doesn't have many features in comparison to others.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well I had an S2 worked brilliantly but it's very slow with updates and doesn't have many features in comparison to others.
    With the latest update it is equal to the S3.

ReputationRep:
    Ebay.
    Haha, the overseas shipping is a tad bit expensive
    I'm also a person who likes to see the product before buying; for the quality's sake.
    However if there isn't an option I guess I'll just have to buy it on Ebay

Ah that's a problem too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've had a few sellers offering me "new" S4's without the box! Suspicious indeed. I also find second-hand phones to be fishy, because we never know where it has been. Usually these sellers make excuses as to why the box is missing and they try to make offers that, ironically, can be refused easily. Cunning *******s :lol:
    Someone I know dropped his new S4 in the toilet after taking a dump. Its safe to say that it died.

(Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    Just go with the Nexus 4 imo

The actual value (price/quality) is unmatched by any phone imo. I love mine
    I wouldn't mind checking it out, really, as long as I can find the retail store first

ReputationRep:
    With the latest update it is equal to the S3.
    But it still remains with many of the S2 features, to be honest the the S3 imo was a bit rubbish which is why I stuck with my S2. I'd rather get a nexus 4 then an S3.

I've had a few sellers offering me "new" S4's without the box! Suspicious indeed. I also find second-hand phones to be fishy, because we never know where it has been. Usually these sellers make excuses as to why the box is missing and they try to make offers that, ironically, can be refused easily. Cunning *******s :lol:
    Someone I know dropped his new S4 in the toilet after taking a dump. Its safe to say that it died.

Very suspicious, probably been stolen if it's without a box yet completely new. I am selling my S2 on ebay :lol: but I too wouldn't buy something second hand if it's a phone or laptop since you don't know what's been on it :no:
    The best thing to do is to get a nice new sealed S4 and at least that way if you have any issues or faults straight away you can send it back and either get a new one ( if t's still in the gurantee period) or get it fixed. But honestly if the S4 is out of your budget get a nexus 4 with a nice case :yep:

:eek: I would probably cry for hours if that happened then go and get a job just to be able to buy another asap

ReputationRep:
    But it still remains with many of the S2 features
    Other than the hardware, no, that was the point of the latest update, same with S3 getting S4 features in it's latest upgrade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Other than the hardware, no, that was the point of the latest update, same with S3 getting S4 features in it's latest upgrade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's my point though it can't match it in terms of hardware. The S2 cannot use S beam or any face recognition such as smart scroll to what I know and neither can the S3. There's also no dual shot, simultaneous HD video and image recording, image stabilization and about 10 more things. On the surface they may look the same but there is still a distinct difference or why pay almost £300 more for an S4?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But it still remains with many of the S2 features, to be honest the the S3 imo was a bit rubbish which is why I stuck with my S2. I'd rather get a nexus 4 then an S3.

Very suspicious, probably been stolen if it's without a box yet completely new. I am selling my S2 on ebay :lol: but I too wouldn't buy something second hand if it's a phone or laptop since you don't know what's been on it :no:
    The best thing to do is to get a nice new sealed S4 and at least that way if you have any issues or faults straight away you can send it back and either get a new one ( if t's still in the gurantee period) or get it fixed. But honestly if the S4 is out of your budget get a nexus 4 with a nice case :yep:

:eek: I would probably cry for hours if that happened then go and get a job just to be able to buy another asap
    Hmm, alright then. I also like the feeling of opening new gadgets from the boxes - ugh I'm so weird :nooo:
    Ah, speaking of casings - which one is safer? A flip case or a hard, silicone one?

Yup. I wonder if Samsung's warranty will cover for that smelly S4? I high doubt it though. Even the owner won't touch it

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.