Useful Superpowers?? Watch

H0PEL3SS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by randomd_love)
Not every super power goes against science. This thread was to find out which a power these were. None of the flaws have been far fetched and are quite plausible: if you shapeshift into a mouse to get into a small place, you run the risk of being eaten, if you teleport you've gotta account for the person you might land on.

The most practical one so far has been telekenesis because as long as you don't have any funny dreams. Mind control too because I honestly can't find a plausible flaw with these two.
Telekinesis could be limited in that if you can't physically move it, you can't move it. You could get serious headaches.
Have you ever seen Chronicle? One protagonist kills another because he's angry, causing lightning to strike his friend, killing him.
Mind control can be very volatile. If you got angry enough to say to someone 'Die', you wouldn't maintain the concentration required to not issue it as a command, so even if it was just in the heat of the moment, you've taken a life.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by montstar)
Telekinesis? :awesome:
:five: I said this too!
Flaw: Its the ability to move and manipulate things with your mind. Say you are dreaming and in this dream is your room you could inadvertently move things in your sleep because you're not able to control your subconscious.
You have to concentrate on what you want to move and when you dream you still do things you'd normally do... Unless you're lucid dreaming where you let loose. But you'd be aware of your powers and wouldn't :cool:
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Cryl)
X.
If its just you that's invisible then that means your clothes are still visible - which means going naked for your power to work. In this heat it might be a godsend, in the winter however a huge flaw might be hypothermia. But I thought of a fix for this:

If everything you are in contact with becomes invisable ie. clothes it fixes the problem as long as you don't wear shoes. Quite useful indeed.

As for shape shifting as long as you don't shape shift into an animal I see no flaws, turning into other humans. My neighbours cat used to kill birds, rodent, snails, dragonflies and he was cute - imagine an animal with more bite.

Teleporting I'm still iffy on because how do you know you are going to land on the ground when you arrive, somewhere you have never been before? Plus the whole landing on someone scenario would terrify me. I'm ignoring the legal repurcusions too because let's face it if you get put in prison you'll just teleport out. I think teleporting may be useful but only if its really precise eg. You can only teleport to the unoccupied positions of your destination.
Rep:
?
(Original post by H0PEL3SS)
Telekinesis could be limited in that if you can't physically move it, you can't move it. You could get serious headaches.
Have you ever seen Chronicle? One protagonist kills another because he's angry, causing lightning to strike his friend, killing him.
Mind control can be very volatile. If you got angry enough to say to someone 'Die', you wouldn't maintain the concentration required to not issue it as a command, so even if it was just in the heat of the moment, you've taken a life.
Which is why the person said anything. This means regardless of mass it will always be plausible.

Again mind control the person said anything - this is would mean their own command. I'm assuming that the mind control is command based for simplicity, since the power subdues their free will.
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
You have to concentrate on what you want to move and when you dream you still do things you'd normally do... Unless you're lucid dreaming where you let loose. But you'd be aware of your powers and wouldn't :cool:
Ok fine telekenesis that requires conscience concentration in order to work, and is capable of manipulating ALL objects
LRBrown94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ability to see the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
H0PEL3SS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which is why the person said anything. This means regardless of mass it will always be plausible.

Again mind control the person said anything - this is would mean their own command. I'm assuming that the mind control is command based for simplicity, since the power subdues their free will.
Regardless, where a superpower of the mind is concerned, being unable to control your emotions can lead to unintended consequences. You can't pick and choose- those are flaws, meaning telekinesis and mind control are not risk-free powers.
Rep:
?
Regardless, where a superpower of the mind is concerned, being unable to control your emotions can lead to unintended consequences. You can't pick and choose- those are flaws, meaning telekinesis and mind control are not risk-free powers.
Ah but the risk is to others not ones self. All the flaws affect everyone whether they want to be good or evil with their power.

I watched chronicle too - I was just surprised how quick the kid turned evil! He justified what you said about hurting others so it didn't bother him.
So are you a hero, villain, or undecided? I'm undecided because I know I would use the mind control to get people to buy me chocolate but also to do some good.
H0PEL3SS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah but the risk is to others not ones self. All the flaws affect everyone whether they want to be good or evil with their power.

I watched chronicle too - I was just surprised how quick the kid turned evil! He justified what you said about hurting others so it didn't bother him.
So are you a hero, villain, or undecided? I'm undecided because I know I would use the mind control to get people to buy me chocolate but also to do some good.
I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, so great power and all.. Therefore, I think if it harms another, it is still a risk. But I wouldn't mind using my powers for my own gain sometimes (Provided it doesn't hurt anyone). And fwiw, my ideal superpowers would be Spider-Man's. Go on, rip them apart- they're still amazing . Although, I don't think you could find a flaw with a spider-sense :wink:
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
magnetos telekinesis power

or

the ability to control water, water bending
arkhamz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The power to create any sort of matter. Money,food , anything. I think that's the most practical power.
InvestmentBankin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Following this logic that every single superpower has a flaw leads to cynicism in which we can discover that in fact everything is imperfect in our whole existence.
Rep:
?
I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, so great power and all.. Therefore, I think if it harms another, it is still a risk. But I wouldn't mind using my powers for my own gain sometimes (Provided it doesn't hurt anyone). And fwiw, my ideal superpowers would be Spider-Man's. Go on, rip them apart- they're still amazing . Although, I don't think you could find a flaw with a spider-sense :wink:
I think I'm a baddie because the only movie quote coming to my mind is darth vader "You don't know the POWER of the DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE". Whoops

As for spiderman even he used his powers for himself - impressing women by hanging on to walls is always gonna win big with us (and gwen and Mary-Jane)

But Flaw: I'm scared of spiders that includes their leader SpiderMan! :afraid:
But seriously could you handle the spiders because I become very untrusting of things with more than 2 legs. I even screamed in the amazing SpiderMan (I know "how were you expecting not to see at least one spider") BUT THERE WAS A WHOLE ROOM!!! No one warned me of this.

(Original post by InvestmentBankin)
Following this logic that every single superpower has a flaw leads to cynicism in which we can discover that in fact everything is imperfect in our whole existence.
No not all: telekenesis, mind control, talent absorption, night vision, invisibility, and human shape shifting have all been shown to be flaw free - or we dealt with the problem of the power without changing the laws of science. Oh and it's just one power so you can't have add ons to fix things - those are the ones that have passed.
InvestmentBankin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think I'm a baddie because the only movie quote coming to my mind is darth vader "You don't know the POWER of the DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE". Whoops

As for spiderman even he used his powers for himself - impressing women by hanging on to walls is always gonna win big with us (and gwen and Mary-Jane)

But Flaw: I'm scared of spiders that includes their leader SpiderMan! :afraid:
But seriously could you handle the spiders because I become very untrusting of things with more than 2 legs. I even screamed in the amazing SpiderMan (I know "how were you expecting not to see at least one spider") BUT THERE WAS A WHOLE ROOM!!! No one warned me of this.

No not all: telekenesis, mind control, talent absorption, night vision, invisibility, and human shape shifting have all been shown to be flaw free - or we dealt with the problem of the power without changing the laws of science. Oh and it's just one power so you can't have add ons to fix things - those are the ones that have passed.
You could play with it and say that telekenesis may lead to the state in which materia becomes a subject to its laws of physics; would it be as flawless to perform telekenesis on a vehicles as it would on a pen or pencil? What if you would absorb a talent of an investment banker that is solely driven by greed and as a result have no driving manure for the fertility of that talent? Wouldn't night vision make your sight extremely sensitive by day, as well as confuse the normal day-night productivity and/or rest circulation - may even lead to insomnia [like in depressed cats]. Human shape shifting is an interesting one and automatically obvious flaws occur but a more vicious one should occur upon taking the shape of lesser intelligent being and not being able to return to our primary form; a stupid dog, or a physically attractive neanderthal species scattered around the world.

I mean you can play around with these.

However I was the one accepting the concept of flawless as utopian, seeing usefulness in most of the superpowers and regarding potential flaws as de facto non existent, for if there is a flaw in making our own mode of production there must be one in everything.

I wouldn't mind having any of these superpowers associated even with the greatest proportion of flaws, like the inability to high-five.
H0PEL3SS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Powers of the mind- All flawed in that emotional instability causes harm. If you lifted a heavy thing over your head with telekinesis and lost concentration? Dead. Manic depression and suicidal thoughts with mind control? You could possibly kill yourself with a command.
Night vision- if you have a bright light flashed in your eyes, you could go blind. Shape shifting? Could be unable to change forms properly, get stuck between two. If anything, the only powers that work are defensive or passive ones- The ability to cling to any surface (with control) or a sense that warns you of danger.
selv22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Legii)
Byakugan or Sharingan?
Probably go with Sharingan its got more benefits and can be upgraded at the expense of a friend

Chosen power would be shape-shifting, cant think of a flaw for this power

Posted from TSR Mobile
scherzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bernard's watch
big_fudge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Master of Time and Space (like Hiro Nakamura for any of you Heroes fans out there)

And on a personal note random_love, this power would allow us to go and see the 9th season of HIMYM already!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (230)
27.61%
No (603)
72.39%

Watched Threads