A girl actually said this. My god Watch

Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
Well what i'd do is give half of the fee back to a male friend if I was with one.
Ace Ten
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Ham22)
Well what i'd do is give half of the fee back to a male friend if I was with one.
It would be good if all the women in attendance did that. Just to really fook with the system.
CasualSoul
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jon Mustard)
Feminism in a nutshell
in what way?
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The thing is, that people have a tendency to say "its sexist towards...", when in reality, it's just sexism. Any kind of sexist attitude will have implications to all sexes, genders and what have you. The moment you start saying that it's towards a particular group, you are nullifying the whole concept and turning into a battle between which sex it affects most.
Ace Ten
Rep:
?
(Original post by Farm_Ecology)
The thing is, that people have a tendency to say "its sexist towards...", when in reality, it's just sexism. Any kind of sexist attitude will have implications to all sexes, genders and what have you. The moment you start saying that it's towards a particular group, you are nullifying the whole concept and turning into a battle between which sex it affects most.
Sorry pal but you can't really sidestep the issue by trying to find a loophole with the language. It's sexist towards men because they're coming off worse. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.
Ace Ten
Rep:
?
(Original post by CasualSoul)
lol you are funny in the way you write stuff i.e. with sarcasm/ jokes
This one appreciates your kind words, Ms.
ssxx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mitsukino)
Well, she has a point.

While it's certainly not fair men have to pay and women don't, it's a little patronising and, considering it's to draw more women in as eye candy and "potential opportunities" so more people (i.e. paying men) will come, it's also pretty degrading. Free entry for women -> women more likely to go there -> more women for guys -> guys will go there.

It's not right for either gender but your friend's point isn't automatically invaild because it involves getting something free.

She does not have a point.
More women in club mean they can get more men to come to the club, so the men will buy drinks, and buy drinks for women as well.
The fact is, men are being used and abused just because they want to meet members of the opposite sex.
Farm_Ecology
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ace Ten)
Sorry pal but you can't really sidestep the issue by trying to find a loophole with the language. It's sexist towards men because they're coming off worse. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.
Well, no. Sexism is a double-edged sword. Where a barrier exists for one sex, an expectation exists for the other.

While I certainly agree, that in such instances, men are coming off worse, it's part of a larger issue. And turning it all into a point-scoring contest misses the larger issues.
username1160712
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As has been said before, sexism is a double edged sword and this works for both genders.

Women are expected to clean and cook?
Men aren't expected to clean and cook

Men are expected to pay for a night club?
Women aren't expected to pay for a night club

Excetera. Personally I wouldn't read that deep into it, but then again, i'm not a woman and have no idea what it's like :P
Ace Ten
Rep:
?
(Original post by Farm_Ecology)
Well, no. Sexism is a double-edged sword. Where a barrier exists for one sex, an expectation exists for the other.

While I certainly agree, that in such instances, men are coming off worse, it's part of a larger issue. And turning it all into a point-scoring contest misses the larger issues.
(Original post by Ryanmaskell)
As has been said before, sexism is a double edged sword and this works for both genders.

Women are expected to clean and cook?
Men aren't expected to clean and cook

Men are expected to pay for a night club?
Women aren't expected to pay for a night club

Excetera. Personally I wouldn't read that deep into it, but then again, i'm not a woman and have no idea what it's like :P
Aye, it's double-edged sword. I'm just saying one edge is sharper than the other.

And it's not a point-scoring contest to see who can be the most oppressed. People don't want to be oppressed.
Farm_Ecology
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye, it's double-edged sword. I'm just saying one edge is sharper than the other.

And it's not a point-scoring contest to see who can be the most oppressed. People don't want to be oppressed.
That's exactly the kind of attitude I was talking about. Either side claiming each side is worse effected, when it's not a battle between the two.

The groups that are effected the most are not individual genders, but groups within genders. The different groups are affected completely differently. To take the virgin/slut issue, it's not each gender than are effected, but individuals within each gender. A man who enjoys sleeping around (and can), is not likely to be that affected by the expectations for him to do so. Likewise, a woman who enjoys celibacy or monogamy is unlikely to be affected by expectations placed on her. It is the individuals which are feel the force, not the entire gender.

With the door fee issue, there is mot to take into consideration than just monetary expenses. Some women may take issue with it because it represents a large issue of the way women are seen. Likewise, for (straight) men (or lesbians), the free entry generally means more women in the club. So different people take the issue in different lights.

By ridiculing those who criticize it by stating that it's worse for you, so they have no right to complain, you are effectively saying that because you see it in one light, they are not allowed to see it in another.
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by c_al)
This is retarded. Does this mean that if you walk into a shop for free then you are becoming a product? What about the staff that work there, are they up for sale as well?
Walking into a shop isn't usually a privilege you pay for, because you don't go there just to be in there. Going to a club is, because you do. Club entry and shop entry are not comparable because one is a product and the other is not.

Careful where you wave the 'retard' stick, you might hurt yourself.
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think we need a crash course in capitalism. Don't you think this topic is volatile enough?
Is there a point to your post, or are you just moaning about me raising an issue?
Ace Ten
Rep:
?
(Original post by TurboCretin)
Is there a point to your post, or are you just moaning about me raising an issue?
Like this one did, you mean?
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Like this one did, you mean?
Well I'm glad you don't deny it.
MSI_10
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got a suggestion!

Next time one of these events happen you could just not go. Tell your buddy the same thing too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
McHumpy92
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can someone point me towards a venue and a day in the Birmingham area where it is women in free and men have to pay..I am fully prepared to pay £3 for gash on tap!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (65)
26.75%
No (178)
73.25%

Watched Threads