Chemistry Applicants 2015 Watch

NishalC
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So i have been looking at mchem + industry and how it is laid in in various places. whilst looking at it i made a sort of spreadsheet to give a breakdown of the courses, it might be helpful to some people (possibly) XD.

http://imgur.com/wDO7oiW (also has grade requirements for bsc/mchem) , but note the southampton one is only if you do maths+physics+chemistry)

PS , just noticed i have imperial wrong, they do their year in industry in the 4th year of 5...oddly.. XD
andyt8765
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys, is it worth applying to Durham if I've only been predicted AAA? They're asking for A*AA ('typical offer'), but they're my favourite choice (apart from maybe York).

Will I get straight-up rejected? Or will they consider me?
username1107833
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by andyt8765)
Hey guys, is it worth applying to Durham if I've only been predicted AAA? They're asking for A*AA ('typical offer'), but they're my favourite choice (apart from maybe York).

Will I get straight-up rejected? Or will they consider me?
I'd apply if I were you, Durham this year in clearing have frequently asked for A*AA normally but accepted many students with AAB/ABB they get a bit desperate lol. So I wouldn't worry, you'll probably still get an interview. I mean even in the worst case scenario that they reject you, at least you won't regret not applying and you'll have 4 other uni's so it's not like medicine where you have to be strategic and not waste an application.
andyt8765
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by theCreator)
I'd apply if I were you, Durham this year in clearing have frequently asked for A*AA normally but accepted many students with AAB/ABB they get a bit desperate lol. So I wouldn't worry, you'll probably still get an interview. I mean even in the worst case scenario that they reject you, at least you won't regret not applying and you'll have 4 other uni's so it's not like medicine where you have to be strategic and not waste an application.
Thanks for the info on clearing, I wasn't aware of that! That's reassured me. I guess I'll never know if I don't apply.

Cheers for the reassurance!
username1107833
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone know what questions (if any) they will ask at the end of the interview, if the interviewer asks if you have any questions (if that makes sense). I'd rather not say I don't have any because apparently it makes you sound "shy and uninterested", even though I have no questions?
Sun_Bear
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Funtry)
Just got into Imperial for Chemistry, and recieved all 5 of my offers (they're in my description) so if you have any questions, ask!
What were ur GCSE and A level grades?
Funtry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sun_Bear)
What were ur GCSE and A level grades?
4A*'s, 4A's and 2B's.

AS' were ABBB, with the A being in maths.
A2's were A*A*A* in Chemistry, Maths and Physics.
Bookler_Natsu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was wondering, why some university have chemistry MSci and some with MChem?
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bookler_Natsu)
I was wondering, why some university have chemistry MSci and some with MChem?
Change the name, do the same. Both are undergraduate masters degrees in chemistry. Traditionalist universities generally seem to stick with MSci.
anna48
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone know what questions (if any) they will ask at the end of the interview, if the interviewer asks if you have any questions (if that makes sense). I'd rather not say I don't have any because apparently it makes you sound "shy and uninterested", even though I have no questions?
If you genuinely don't have any questions to ask, then don't worry. They'd rather you didn't ask them a question than ask them a stupid one. If they ask you that, you can reply with 'no, i think I've researched everything I wanted to know' which will show them that you're interested and have looked into the course further.

I just said no I don't think so when asked that question at my interviews ( I had 3) and I got offers from them all, so don't worry, it's the least of their concerns whether you ask questions or not, sometimes it's a good thing that you don't have any
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I said I couldn't think of anything I wanted to ask on the occasions I was asked and it didn't seem to do me any harm. If you don't happen upon any proper questions to ask through your discussion, anything you try to come up with is likely to be rather banal and probably won't leave a positive impression any way.
freshypot♥
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, quick question, does anyone know if universities usually ask for a specific grade as part of your offer. For example, if they wanted you to get A*AA, do they ever specify exactly which subject they want the A* to be in? Thanks!
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by freshypot♥)
Hi, quick question, does anyone know if universities usually ask for a specific grade as part of your offer. For example, if they wanted you to get A*AA, do they ever specify exactly which subject they want the A* to be in? Thanks!
Quite often yes but it varies. Imperial afaik, if they give you an A*AA offer say they will want the A* in chemistry.
freshypot♥
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
Quite often yes but it varies. Imperial afaik, if they give you an A*AA offer say they will want the A* in chemistry.
Okay, thanks. I was asking, as I will be asking my teachers about my predicted grades next week, and I got a high B in chemistry at AS, so the most I would be predicted is an A.

Also two of the courses I am looking at, require A*AA
username1107833
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
I said I couldn't think of anything I wanted to ask on the occasions I was asked and it didn't seem to do me any harm. If you don't happen upon any proper questions to ask through your discussion, anything you try to come up with is likely to be rather banal and probably won't leave a positive impression any way.
Do Oxford send you a letter to tell you whether or not you've got in, or do they do it by email/UCAS ?
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do Oxford send you a letter to tell you whether or not you've got in, or do they do it by email/UCAS ?
You hear by letter first. International applicants can get emails. Oxford doesn't seem to get UCAS updated very speedily.
username1107833
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
You hear by letter first. International applicants can get emails. Oxford doesn't seem to get UCAS updated very speedily.
Ahhh that's brilliant, reminds me of my childhood watching Harry Potter get his letter from Hogwarts.
andyt8765
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cmorga1)
Hey guys quick question,

I really slacked off and did not nearly enough revision at GCSE and came out with 1A* 3A's 5B's and a C, I really enjoyed chemistry and maths, (Got A in chemistry and A* in maths) and have taken both up for AS along with geography and economics. I am already really enjoying chemistry in my first few weeks and I am determined to really push myself this year. My question is, providing I do pretty well at AS level will I be able to study chemistry for my degree at a russell group/top uni? I know my GCSE's might drag me down a bit hence my worry. Thanks guys
You really shouldn't worry about your GCSEs. Chemistry isn't that competitive and you've got an A and A* in the relevant subjects anyway.

Just make sure you really work for your AS-levels because that's what's important.

The only place you might have trouble applying to is Oxford, as they like to see all As and A*s at GCSE.

But you should be fine to apply to any other RG uni. I got 2A*s, 5As and 4Bs at GCSE and I'm applying to Durham, York, Nottingham, Warwick and Bath.
cmorga1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by andyt8765)
You really shouldn't worry about your GCSEs. Chemistry isn't that competitive and you've got an A and A* in the relevant subjects anyway.

Just make sure you really work for your AS-levels because that's what's important.

The only place you might have trouble applying to is Oxford, as they like to see all As and A*s at GCSE.

But you should be fine to apply to any other RG uni. I got 2A*s, 5As and 4Bs at GCSE and I'm applying to Durham, York, Nottingham, Warwick and Bath.
Thanks very much, yeah luckily I wasn't planning on Oxford anyway I'm suprised chemistry isn't more competitive, I find it very interesting :yep:

Good luck with your application, I hope to be applying to similar unis when my time comes providing I do well
andyt8765
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cmorga1)
Thanks very much, yeah luckily I wasn't planning on Oxford anyway I'm suprised chemistry isn't more competitive, I find it very interesting :yep:

Good luck with your application, I hope to be applying to similar unis when my time comes providing I do well
Yeah, I was also surprised at the lack of competitiveness. I guess we're lucky that we find it interesting!

Thanks very much, best of luck with your AS-levels!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed