Turn on thread page Beta

Would a government want unemployment to be kept high? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Give what you receive.
    Delusional much? It's not really actually been like that though has it? The last couple of pages has been pretty much exclusively me attempting to return to the topic at hand while you and that other guy made lacklustre ad hominem attacks against me and generally flat out trolled. So anyway, again, do you actually want to debate the topic you started a thread about, or are you simply going to continue acting like a child?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    You can spin it all you want but 2.5 million people are unemployed. Whichever way you look at it, it's a lot.
    That's a rather simplistic take on the matter. There are many ways to look at it differently; relative to our European peers or in compared to the state of the job market from 2010. The latter being especially relevant in context to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Delusional much? It's not really actually been like that though has it? The last couple of pages has been pretty much exclusively me attempting to return to the topic at hand while you and that other guy made lacklustre ad hominem attacks against me and generally flat out trolled. So anyway, again, do you actually want to debate the topic you started a thread about, or are you simply going to continue acting like a child?
    Interesting, but what about that other stuff?

This is probably an accidentally damning verdict of the schemes and ideas from the past years to 'help unemployment' or cut down JSA claimants, but could there be a viable reason for keeping unemployment high that Joe Public could never realise? Or is it really just governments thinking throwing money at contractors to not look for jobs for claimants or mandatory unpaid placements in retail could somehow help rather than damage?

I can see this just sounds like a veiled attack, but I'm legitimately asking because I see this and think there must be a political reason and that they're pretending to try and help, but wanting figures stay high (or even make them higher).
    Capitalist systems like there to be a continuation of unemployment because it helps the capitalist class keep wages down. The down side of this is that without any welfare provision for all these unemployed there is the potential for the growth of an alternative 'criminal' economy, social unrest, riots and so on. So, the capitalist class walk a tight-rope in which they want there to be a certain level of unemployment but not so much that its benefit to employers is countered by the cost of welfare provision.

ReputationRep:
    Someone posted a quote on Facebook and made me think of this thread. Repeats some of what others were saying anyway:

"We stay in the EU-and open up our borders- because our country is a capitalist country. Cheap migrant labour drives wages down, which favours large corporations. The consequent high unemployment among the native population further drives wages down. And its not just wages: employment conditions can be made worse, ie: cheaper, too. (Did you know you now can't appeal against wrongful dismissal if you've been with a firm for less than two years? That's just one little erosion of your rights, there are hundreds of others...that you don't know about.) All of which suits the bosses down to the ground. We're in the EU because of capitalism. Our borders and our employment market are a free-for-all because of capitalism.

Why do you think the Tories won't put a stop to it? Neither will UKIP, by the way. If ever they get anywhere near power, they'll be bought and paid for by those same corporations that own our current government....and who LOVE unrestricted immigration. Buying political influence? If you're a capitalist, you believe everything's for sale. That's capitalism."

ReputationRep:
    Someone posted a quote on Facebook and made me think of this thread. Repeats some of what others were saying anyway:

"We stay in the EU-and open up our borders- because our country is a capitalist country. Cheap migrant labour drives wages down, which favours large corporations. The consequent high unemployment among the native population further drives wages down. And its not just wages: employment conditions can be made worse, ie: cheaper, too. (Did you know you now can't appeal against wrongful dismissal if you've been with a firm for less than two years? That's just one little erosion of your rights, there are hundreds of others...that you don't know about.) All of which suits the bosses down to the ground. We're in the EU because of capitalism. Our borders and our employment market are a free-for-all because of capitalism.

Why do you think the Tories won't put a stop to it? Neither will UKIP, by the way. If ever they get anywhere near power, they'll be bought and paid for by those same corporations that own our current government....and who LOVE unrestricted immigration. Buying political influence? If you're a capitalist, you believe everything's for sale. That's capitalism."
    Good points spoilt by the political agenda towards the end. Was it not Labour that oversaw the largest influx of immigrants since WWII?

ReputationRep:
    This is probably an accidentally damning verdict of the schemes and ideas from the past years to 'help unemployment' or cut down JSA claimants, but could there be a viable reason for keeping unemployment high that Joe Public could never realise? Or is it really just governments thinking throwing money at contractors to not look for jobs for claimants or mandatory unpaid placements in retail could somehow help rather than damage?

I can see this just sounds like a veiled attack, but I'm legitimately asking because I see this and think there must be a political reason and that they're pretending to try and help, but wanting figures stay high (or even make them higher).
    Not really, the coalition simply wants all new job creation to come from the private sector.

Even if you discount the government schemes like workfare then the private sector has still created over a million jobs since the election, the only reason why we see unemployment being more sticky is because of large scale public sector redundancies which have to date cancelled out a lot of the private sector employment gain. Once those stop unemployment will fall rather sharply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrSupernova)
    Good points spoilt by the political agenda towards the end. Was it not Labour that oversaw the largest influx of immigrants since WWII?
    Labour being slightly to the left of the Tories doesn't change that they're basically neoliberal right-wingers.

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.